Taxiing with the B17G

A Living Legend
Styggron
Master Sergeant

Taxiing with the B17G

Post by Styggron »

Hello everyone,
Much like the Avro Anson I have a LOT of trouble taxiing with the B17G

Because my joystick has 1 throttle lever, I can't control each engine individually. If I jump into the cockpit and do it in there virtually, it is extremely clumsy and I end up going all over the place.

I thought I could use the pop up engine selector as I thought if I tick engine 1, then the joystick throttle would just move engine 1 but to no avail. The joystick throttle just moves all 4.

[EDIT: Ok reinstalled joystick and ensured I clicked "Click to select" NOW it works. The engine selectors work! Excellent. Looks like a joystick problem for some reason. Anyway, solved. The engine selectors now WORK and the slider controls ONLY that engine now.]

Ok square 1. :(

The tail wheel is unlocked, I can taxi in a messy way just going brake on brak off brake on brake off with the joystick and differential brakes but it is very clumsy still.

Unfortuantely stupid FSX does not allow you to assign a key to a specific engine either so I cant use the spare joystick button to control the engines separately.

This all makes for very very clumsy taxiing. I use pushbacks (CTRL P) to give me space but it is still quite hard.

How does everyone else do this ? I was watching someone on youtube taxi and there was a shot of the cockpit and he was controlling all 4 engines at once and turning well. I did not see the "brakes" or "differentia brakes" text come up on his cockpit either so no idea what they were doing.

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by Styggron on 20 Nov 2016, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Taxiing with the B17G

Post by Tomas Linnet »

you didn't write it this time :mrgreen: . so my best advice would be to get a throttle quadrant or two. that will also help in other multi engine aircraft. For me that is a must have. I almost never flew multi engine aircraft before I bought my Saitek yoke + 1 throttle quadrant.

Simple as that!
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I have two CH quad throttles to control multi engs , but if you only have the one throttle , may i suggest you use it in conjunction with the b17 configurator , that way you can set up keys or switches , to select eng 1 to 4 or all of them , so when you move the throttle lever , then the eng selected will move , not ideal , but might work for you.
regards alan. 8)

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Tomas Linnet wrote:you didn't write it this time :mrgreen: . so my best advice would be to get a throttle quadrant or two. that will also help in other multi engine aircraft. For me that is a must have. I almost never flew multi engine aircraft before I bought my Saitek yoke + 1 throttle quadrant.

Simple as that!
Hello Tomas,
Sorry it's not as simple as that I don't really want to get a throttle quadrant. They are quite expensive here where I am. I fly multi engine all the time. The B377 is no issue as you can turn the nose wheel but the Avro Anson and the B17 are really hard to taxi.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

alan CXA651 wrote:Hi.
I have two CH quad throttles to control multi engs , but if you only have the one throttle , may i suggest you use it in conjunction with the b17 configurator , that way you can set up keys or switches , to select eng 1 to 4 or all of them , so when you move the throttle lever , then the eng selected will move , not ideal , but might work for you.
regards alan. 8)

Hello Alan,
Sorry but that does not work as I explained in my original post. The Input configurator is the same as using the 2D panel where there are 4 boxes and you can tick each engine. But as I explained, if you just tick engine 1 and move the throttle on the joystick *all 4 increase* which is silly. I expected that if you only select engine 1 and use the throttle then only engine 1 throttle would increase, this would make sense but sadly it does not so I don't see the point of the engine selectors.

Taxiing this plane is a nightmare. There has to way to control it without having a $$$$$ throttle quadrant. As I mentioned I have the same issue with the Avro Anson. :roll: :cry: :cry:

[EDIT: Engine selectors are now working. Reinstaled joystick drivers, reset everything. All ok now]
Last edited by Styggron on 20 Nov 2016, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I fly with an X52 Pro and have the same issue. There is a "hack" for the B-17 to make the tail-wheel steerable for us without a throttle quadrant and no rudder peddles. I don't know the code off the top of my head but you may be able to find it in the archives.
I also use FSUIPC4 and have the rudder apply approximately 25% brake to appropriate wheel when my rudder reaches 90%. This works well for me. If you are interested in this I can get the setup for you when I get home tonight.

Good luck
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

WB_FlashOver wrote:I fly with an X52 Pro and have the same issue. There is a "hack" for the B-17 to make the tail-wheel steerable for us without a throttle quadrant and no rudder peddles. I don't know the code off the top of my head but you may be able to find it in the archives.
I also use FSUIPC4 and have the rudder apply approximately 25% brake to appropriate wheel when my rudder reaches 90%. This works well for me. If you are interested in this I can get the setup for you when I get home tonight.

Good luck
Roger
Hello Roger,
The code to make the tail wheel steerable would be great as I don't use FSUIPC at all.
I just can't believe there is no way to steer this, withut pedals. throttle quadrant or cumsily in the 2D cockpit increasing one engine etc I would have thought A2A would have taken into account not everyone has throttles, they normally think of things like this for accessibility.

I can't understand why the engine selector does not stop the throttle affecting all 4 engines :(

[EDIT: Engine selector's now working, something was up with the joystick drivers. Reinstalled and reset everything all working now. I can select Engine 1 and the slider only controls engine 1 so all is well now :)]
Last edited by Styggron on 20 Nov 2016, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Styggron wrote:
I can't understand why the engine selector does not stop the throttle affecting all 4 engines :(

I would check your default FSX controller assignments. That single throttle axis may be mapped there to control all throttles.

I have dual throttle quads plus rudder pedals so do not have any issues taxiing multi-engine aircraft.

I was going to suggest using a couple of keys or switches to activate a Lua script that would increase the
throttle settings on one side and retarding them on the opposite side, but since you don't use FSUIPC4 that is not an option.

Also, note that you need some forward motion to 'steer' the 17...at least 5 to 10 mph should do.

Have you tried using differential braking? I think there are default assignment capbilities for seperate left and right brakes.

Paul

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Gypsy Baron wrote:
Styggron wrote:

I would check your default FSX controller assignments. That single throttle axis may be mapped there to control all throttles.

I have dual throttle quads plus rudder pedals so do not have any issues taxiing multi-engine aircraft.

I was going to suggest using a couple of keys or switches to activate a Lua script that would increase the
throttle settings on one side and retarding them on the opposite side, but since you don't use FSUIPC4 that is not an option.

Also, note that you need some forward motion to 'steer' the 17...at least 5 to 10 mph should do.

Have you tried using differential braking? I think there are default assignment capbilities for seperate left and right brakes.

Paul

Hello Paul
Yes I build up a little momentum and yes I tried differential braking, all useless and very clumsy. Same with the Avro Anson
Yes FSUIPC is not an option

As I wrote in the OP, FSX does not have a mapping for different engines. So the throttle lever on the joystick does all 4 engines and the engine selector pop up is useless as it does not do what I thought it really should. I expected to tick engine 1+2 and then the throttle only adjusting those engines but nope....still does all 4. [EDIT: All working now, joystick driver issues, reinstalled, reset, reassigned fresh, Engine selector's working PERFECTLY]

I tried the A2A Configurator. The problem there is with the Axis you can only pick X,Y and Rz and slider.
- I can't assign X because then pitch wont work
- I can't assign Y because then bank wont work
- I can't assign RZ because then yaw won't work
- I ony have 1 slider and if I assign LEFT engine to slider then I have no throttle control on the joystick
Why the configurator does now allow me to assign one of the 6 spare joystick buttons to "left engine" and one to "right engine" is beyond me. That's FSX for you.

The help file for the configurator says "This tool allows you to assign additional joystick axes to control the turbocharger lever, autopilot turn bank handle and the nose steering wheel. It will not change any FSX configuration files and it will only work with the A2A Simulations Republic B-17 Flying Fortress."

errrr there is no nose steering wheel and the top of the help menu says "B17 Configurator" so I am puzzled by that too as there is no nose steering wheel there yet it says it.

Looks like my only hope is the tail wheel steering code I hope WBFlash finds the code

:( :(
Last edited by Styggron on 20 Nov 2016, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

rosariomanzo
Staff Sergeant

Post by rosariomanzo »

In the B-17 folder, find the aircraft.cfg and make a backup copy. You may call it aircraft.bak, aircraft.original, aircraft.old, whatever you like.
Find the section CONTACT POINTS. In the first row, find the value 180 and change to 45. This number is the maximum degree of rotation of the steering wheel.
Restart FSX and check how it works. You may change the value to something more suitable to your needs.

@Mr. WB_FlashOver
I'm interested in youf FSUIPC settings, would you mind sharing your setup, please? Thanks in advance.
Ros

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Styggron wrote:Looks like my only hope is the tail wheel steering code I hope WBFlash finds the code

:( :(
The solution for tail wheel steering in the B-17 is exactly the same as for the Anson in this post.

:wink:

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Another thought....try removing the default FSX throttle assignment in the Controls section and then see if the A2A B-17 engine select functions work to allow only the selected engine(s) to be controlled by your throttle.

Paul

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Styggron,

I see rosariomanzo gave you the code for the tail wheel steer. Here is a previous topic on this same subject for your viewing pleasure. http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 29&t=49244

rosariomanzo wrote: @Mr. WB_FlashOver
I'm interested in youf FSUIPC settings, would you mind sharing your setup, please? Thanks in advance.
Hello rosariomanzo, I have all my planes set up with rudder braking and each plane has a different parameter. I've found that the B-17 works best with -10500. Keep in mind that for my controller with the brakes on the thumb slider 16384 relates to no brakes and -16384 relates to full brakes. So the parameter simply applies X amount of brakes (-10500) when range entered and then removes all brakes (16384) when range exited. So to set up left brake you scan rudder and hold at about 15000 (left rudder) and press the FROM button. Move rudder full left and press the TO button. Now set control, parameter, etc like in photos. Then press up-arrow and do the same for right brakes.

I apologize for the terrible photos. I could not find a screen-print tool that works while inside FSUIPC on my Win 10 system.

If you are interested in the actual code that is written to FSUIPC4.INI file here it is. Line 3 is the rudder. Lines 4 and 5 are the brakes applied by the rudder.

Code: Select all

[Axes.B17]
RangeRepeatRate=10
0=0X,256,D,1,0,0,0	-{ DIRECT: Aileron }-
1=0Y,256,D,2,0,0,0	-{ DIRECT: Elevator }-
2=0Z,256,D,4,0,0,0	-{ DIRECT: Throttle }-
3=0R,256,D,3,0,0,0	-{ DIRECT: Rudder }-
4=0R,BR,15000,16383,65720,-10500,65720,16384	-{ DIRECT: RudderEntering=BRAKES_LEFT, Leaving=BRAKES_LEFT }-
5=0R,BR,-16384,-15000,65721,-10500,65721,16384	-{ Entering=BRAKES_RIGHT, Leaving=BRAKES_RIGHT }-
6=0U,256,F,x030066C8,0,0,0	-{ FSUIPC: offset dword set, offset 66C8 }-
7=0V,256,D,5,0,0,0	-{ DIRECT: PropPitch }-
8=0S,256,D,7,8,0,0	-{ DIRECT: LeftBrake, RightBrake }-
You will not be able to set a perfect -15000 or 15000 for the FROM/TO setting. No worries just exit game and edit the FSUIPC4.INI file when done. Also note that you should use Profile Specific settings for all your planes within FSUIPC. The brake parameter for my P-51 is set to -8500 which equates to less braking and my T6 is set at -1500, even less braking. It's easy enough to play with these parameters and find the correct amount of braking for each plane.

Good luck Sir. :wink:

Roger
Last edited by WB_FlashOver on 17 Oct 2019, 21:31, edited 2 times in total.
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Hello WBFlashover
Ummm sorry but that won't work for me as I wrote in the post above your one I don't use that FSCUIC thing sorry. I was hoping you had code to modify the airplane config files in FSX or similar

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Gypsy Baron wrote:Another thought....try removing the default FSX throttle assignment in the Controls section and then see if the A2A B-17 engine select functions work to allow only the selected engine(s) to be controlled by your throttle.

Paul
Hello Paul
Sorry no good. The slider no matter what only controls all 4 engines as per my OP.

My throttle is in the axis section and mapped to the joystick slider.

:(

[EDIT: Problem fixed. Reinstalled, reset joystick. Engine selector now working]
Last edited by Styggron on 20 Nov 2016, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”