engine fires?

A Living Legend
new reply
cessna lover

engine fires?

Post by cessna lover »

being a non pilot just an FSX pilot. when flying the B-17 does it simulate engine fire and subsequent engine damage? and if it does simulate engine fire and damage to the engine do the fire extinguishers work? and will it effect the ailerons as well. will you see where the wing was burned or will the wing stay the same and the engine is fried?

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: engine fires?

Post by Tug002 »

Hello cessna lover, if you have the accu-sim added to the B-17 it will simulate engine fires if they are pushed too hard as I have found out. And yes you can extinguish the fire using the fire extinguishers and feather the prop. When you land you can check out the damage using F7 on your keyboard which will put you into the maintenance hanger.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
As Tug as already said , the wing and ailerons will not show damage visually in the area of fire but the engine will be unusable after extinguisher is used.
We at the 91st bombardment group have a pucker module in the accusim b17 , and if hit by flak , all sorts of varing damage can happen , i have limped home on 3 engines after flak hit the number 3 eng whille on the bomb run with bombbay doors open , in a blink of an eye , eng 3 failed after a direct hit , this caused the gyro to fail , this caused runaway elevator trim on autopilot , and aircraft pitched up and over and started spinning in a power dive , i was at 23000ft when hit , by time i recovered the aircraft and had the fire out i was at 10000ft , had to retrim and switch to eng 2 air supply for gyro reset auto pilot , dropped bombs and transfered fuel from eng 3 tank that was leaking fuel badly , on landing back at UKBA our base , i found the flak had destroyed my right gear , ended up shutting down eng4 on finals and a flapless landing on good left gear.
regards alan. CO of the 324th BS flying the memphisbelle. 8)

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

alan CXA651 wrote:Hi.
As Tug as already said , the wing and ailerons will not show damage visually in the area of fire but the engine will be unusable after extinguisher is used.
We at the 91st bombardment group have a pucker module in the accusim b17 , and if hit by flak , all sorts of varing damage can happen , i have limped home on 3 engines after flak hit the number 3 eng whille on the bomb run with bombbay doors open , in a blink of an eye , eng 3 failed after a direct hit , this caused the gyro to fail , this caused runaway elevator trim on autopilot , and aircraft pitched up and over and started spinning in a power dive , i was at 23000ft when hit , by time i recovered the aircraft and had the fire out i was at 10000ft , had to retrim and switch to eng 2 air supply for gyro reset auto pilot , dropped bombs and transfered fuel from eng 3 tank that was leaking fuel badly , on landing back at UKBA our base , i found the flak had destroyed my right gear , ended up shutting down eng4 on finals and a flapless landing on good left gear.
regards alan. CO of the 324th BS flying the memphisbelle. 8)
wow sounds like you got good use out of that plane didn't you. how do you switch air supply's for the instruments? I don't remember seeing that on the panel.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I have the VAC mod installed , the link in this forum nolonger works , so if you wish to install it , then pm me with your email , and i can send it to you.
But without the VAC MOD if eng 3 fails , you will not see an ADI failure as it switches automatically to eng2.
The VAC changeover switch is on the pilot sidewall , but without the mod it is a dummy switch.
regards alan. 8)

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

i will think about that one. as the B-17 does not have failures that often does it? it's like the GA stuff they don't have failures often either do they? cause I try to fly realistically so that I don't have failures.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
It depends on the setting you have in the hangar for wear rate , i have mine set to realistic 1000hrs , if yours is set lower than this , then yes you will get frequent failures.
Always check your hangar and fluids prior to any flight , will prevent most failures , but you still get random failures thrown in to keep you on your toes.
regards alan. 8)

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

umm for my flying fort it's set to 300 hours. 1,000 hours good god would take me for ever to get :lol:

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”