flight distance?

A Living Legend
cessna lover

flight distance?

Post by cessna lover »

aside from using something like plan-g or putting a GPS in the plane is there away to tell how far you are from a destination when you make a flight plan? cause this does not have distance on the map in the cock pit. and having a GPS or using plan-g would not be an authentic flying experience. cause I would like to start doing more cross country's with this ol gal :D

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

flight distance?

Post by Jacques »

I haven't flown the B-17 in a while, but don't all A2A maps (shift+ 5) have a selection for range rings?

Also, I disagree that using Plan G isn't authentic. Rather, it is more authentic as the B-17 required a navigator be onboard. So the Plan G map, with your flight plan displayed, as well as your position on course, is simply a representation of their "work".

You can also tune ADF frequencies and navigate using them and your radio compass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Jacques on 01 Jun 2018, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

cessna lover

Re: flight distance?

Post by cessna lover »

yes sir it does have range rings. but I would have to have a second monitor again for plan-g I only have 1 right now

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

flight distance?

Post by Jacques »

I run Plan G as a second window in the menu bar...just a quick look to check my course and I'm right back in.

The standard FSX style autopilot is also available to take some of the navigation load for short periods while you check the maps.

Along those lines, you shouldn't give the C-1 autopilot a miss, because it works well and is a pretty fascinating bit of period navigation.

Dead reckoning, sure! :D

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

Jacques wrote:I run Plan G as a second window in the menu bar...just a quick look to check my course and I'm right back in.

The standard FSX style autopilot is also available to take some of the navigation load for short periods while you check the maps.

Along those lines, you shouldn't give the C-1 autopilot a miss, because it works well and is a pretty fascinating bit of period navigation.

Dead reckoning, sure! :D

:x that C1 auto pilot as long as I have owned my virtual B-17 I don't know how to use that thing :lol:

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
The C1 auto pilot looks more complex than it is , but it is a bit like a sperry in meny ways , as it needs constant re trimming for alt and hdg hold , or you will find yourself drifting off course or climbing / diving .
Most of the pots are to do with how sensative the autopilot responds to course / alt changes , and it needs to be activated correctly , but as they say practice makes perfect , take your time to read the manuals on it , until the operation is fixed in your mind , then go fly using it .
regards alan. 91st bombardment group 324th CO 8)

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

speaking of manuals there are 2 aircraft manuals I have not read yet but been flying the planes any ways. but yes I have to agree with you sir that a brush up on all my manuals wouldn't hurt 8)

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

Here's a very good video on the autopilot that might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDpqwop4zRc
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

oooh thanks. I'll have a peek at it.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

A few years ago I found some pre-sets for tuning the C-1 Autopilot that I've used with good results. I cannot remember who it was that posted them but it show evidence of a lot of time spent and trial and error.

The real advantage is in the numbers for Sensitivity, Ratio and Turn Compensation.

Centering will always require a bit more adjustment as conditions change in the flight.

Centering: AIL 0 RUD 0 ELEV 25
Sensitivity: 40 64 40
Ratio: 45 27 15
Turn Comp: 35 9 -50

You can give these tunings a try or not!

The C-1 is a fascinating piece of equipment but one that you definitely can't "set and forget".

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

yeah it's not like todays autopilots that's for sure.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

cessna lover wrote:aside from using something like plan-g or putting a GPS in the plane is there away to tell how far you are from a destination when you make a flight plan? cause this does not have distance on the map in the cock pit. and having a GPS or using plan-g would not be an authentic flying experience. cause I would like to start doing more cross country's with this ol gal :D
I fly my B-17 on VATSIM out of Duxford once in a while and I use a little cheat as I have the saitek radio panel. when tuning a VOR with DME, the panel will show the distance to go, speed or time to go
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

Except for flying over water where Time, Speed and Distance are very important it helps to follow the rules of Old Time Navigation also and make plenty of waypoints in your flight plan atop things you can plainly see from the air to give you a better feel for where you are at all times. This will also let you know distance to your next waypoint and to your destination.

Remember this from FSX lessons http://krepelka.com/fsweb/learningcente ... gation.htm
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

or a real cheat would be to put a GPS in the thing. :lol:

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

cessna lover wrote:or a real cheat would be to put a GPS in the thing. :lol:
True but although some tech makes life easier it can also be boring after the initial wow factor. 8) The feeling of accomplishment after planning and flying a visual navigation flight is very enjoyable. You also get your head out of the cockpit and see more while frantically looking for your next waypoint when you thought you should have been there by now. :lol:
Take care, Brett

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”