Need help with brake system

A Living Legend
richaustintx
Airman

Post by richaustintx »

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble with my brake set up. With my other A2A airplanes (cub and 182) I am having no issues. I have a paid copy of FSUIPC and am using CH Pro Pedals.

When I am in the B-17, the brakes stay engaged at all times. When I pull up FSUIPC, it shows the full range of movement of the brakes. but the brakes remain on. I've tried Reversing it and that didn't work. The rudder pedals move as they are supposed to but nothing from the brakes.

The brakes work fine on other airplanes. Just having trouble with the B-17. Which is horrible as I really want to fly it!!

Thanks, any help appreciated.

Richard Heath
Richard Heath
Enjoying every minute!!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Need help with brake system

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

can you please let us know what platform you are using and which B-17 product from us.

Also to remove potential issues, can you please disable FSUIPC to get as far back to a default sim as possible and then try to see if the issue is with FSUIPC.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
What was your hydraulic pressure , on the B17 , although your brakes respond in FSUIPC but dont move in the B17 , is usually caused by NO hydraulic pressure in the system , make sure hydraulic gauge is in the green band , either hand pump or use electric pump to get the pressure , your BRAKE peddles should then move .
regards alan. 91st bombardment group 324th CO. 8)

richaustintx
Airman

Post by richaustintx »

Good morning and thanks for the replies. So sorry, I thought I was being careful in stating all the info needed.

I am running the Accu-sim B 17-g on fsx steam.

And Alan, that sounds like it could be it. I tried to take a shortcut to just get up and flying. (Auto start on the active) But of course, the A2A airplane wants 5ings correct. I will be flying after work and let you know.

Thank you,
Richard Heath
Richard Heath
Enjoying every minute!!

richaustintx
Airman

Post by richaustintx »

Well I was really hopeful that was the issue. But, no luck.

When I turn the rudder pedals full left or right, the Red "Brake" at the bottom left corner switches to "DIFFERENTIAL BRAKES".

And I am looking for a way to disable FSUIPC. Guess that will have to wait til after my lunch break.

Thanks for your replies...
Richard Heath
Enjoying every minute!!

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Before you do anything else double check your controls , in FSUIPC , and sim for any cross controls , and at full left/right of CH rudder peddles , you could be accidently pushing the brakes without realising it , also check you have not got anything like auto rudder set.
regards alan. 8)

richaustintx
Airman

Post by richaustintx »

Thanks Alan. Good advice.
Richard Heath
Enjoying every minute!!

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Hello Rich,
Give this a try... Go to your Modules folder and open fsuipc4.ini with Note Pad. Hit CTRL+F to bring up the Find menu. Search for "BrakeReleaseThreshold". It will most likely be set to 85. Change this to 0 and see if this helps. I don't have peddles but instead use the twist stick X52 Pro. For some reason I always have to change a new install of FSUIPC to 0 in order for my brakes to work properly.

My issue is a little different in that the brakes will apply half way then release as I apply more brakes but maybe it is worth a try.

Good luck Sir

Roger

EDIT: To build on Alan's suggestion. Make sure that inside FSX you check all controllers in the middle top. I've seen where maybe the peddles will not have anything set to brakes but some other device will.
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

richaustintx
Airman

Post by richaustintx »

Thanks Flashover, but alas the bird does not move.

The threshold was set to 75. I switched it to 0 but the B-17 sat rigidly with her brakes on.

Really thinking of uninstalling and reinstalling. But if its a setting with FUIPC then it would be there after.

I really appreciate everyones input. It is greatly appreciated. And with every thing I check I learn something new.

Well, at least I have a couple of other A2A's that are working.
Richard Heath
Enjoying every minute!!

Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Post by Pistonpilot »

Just wanted to make sure this gets mentioned: you've definitely disabled autorudder in the realism settings, right? The brakes-change-with-rudder-input symptom makes me think that could be related. Might not be, though.

Goods luck!

-Ian C

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

richaustintx
Airman

Post by richaustintx »

Thanks Ian, yes auto rudder is definitely disengaged. The rudder issue is odd. It won’t effect the brakes until near full left or full right rudder. It’s almost as if it “binds” at full rudder. I don’t know if that is the right word. But, when moving to full rudder I can see in the sun the brake move as if there was not enough cable to go full rudder and to not have brakes on. If that makes sense.

I’m headed out of town for the weekend but may have time to review before I go. What I can’t put my finger on is why it’s only the b-17.

Next steps are to somehow disable fsuipc and test it. I’ve read that Scott doesn’t use it so maybe that will solve the problem. Otherwise, there is always removing and reloading.

The B-17 is the best looking plane in my hangar. Can’t wait to take it up some day.
Richard Heath
Enjoying every minute!!

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Have you tried removing FSUIPC like Lewis suggested? To do this simply go to your modules folder, find the file FSUIPC4.DLL and move it to your desktop. Start the sim and check results. You may need to reassign your axis in FSX for this test.

Is the parking brake releasing properly?

And I assume you have run the latest Accu-Sim updates for FSX.

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Hi Richard,

There is one thing you mentioned that keeps nagging at me...this only happens with the B-17, and not your other A2A aircraft. So, it is some kind of crossed or reversed control setting that is specific to your B-17 settings.

It has been a year since I was able to fly the B-17, and it is no longer installed on my computer nor would it work if it were! So , I can’t really do any checking on my own, but,

In the manual, pages 136-137, there is a reference to Custom Key Mappings which would also apply to control axis from your CH pedals and yoke. You might find that interface and check for contradictory inputs.

I’ve never used FSUIPC for A2A aircraft, just CH yoke and pedals using the CH interface ( and a spare CD case under the rudder pedals when configuring the brakes!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
To temp disable FSUIPC , just move the FSUIPC4.ini file out of the modules follder , and put in a temp folder somewhere on your PC, then activate your sims controls , and setup rudder and brakes in the sims controls to see if fault goes away.
Sometimes the FSUIPC4.ini file gets corrupted and has to be rebuilt , and sometimes just deleting your B17 control setup in FSUIPC4.ini fille and redo the setup for that aircraft , can fix it.
regards alan. 8)

richaustintx
Airman

Post by richaustintx »

Hi all,

Regarding the parking brake. Not sure what is happening there. In the bottom left corner "BRAKE" is in red. When I hit CTRL "." it will briefly flash the "PARKING BRAKE DISENGAGED" (not sure of actual wording) and then display "BRAKE". I can't tell if it is engaging or disengaging as it flashes so quickly. But the brakes are full on it seems. As if the parking brake engages but since the brakes are engaged it disables the parking brake.

And thanks for the advice on removing the FSUIPC. That is exactly the information I was looking for.

And Jacques, I will check those settings first.

I will update this as soon as I get to it. Hopefully at lunch.

I really can't say enough about how helpful everyone here is. Thank you so much. Really enjoy these planes and this forum.
Richard Heath
Enjoying every minute!!

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”