General question

Turn ON the LIGHTS for Microsoft FS9 / FSX with this all-new version of a great package
new reply
kavm
Airman Basic

General question

Post by kavm »

Hi there,

I am new and I have question

Can anyone tell how I move the lights (up, down, backward and forward) at this exsample

light.1=3, -34.65, 81.00, 3.10, fx_shockwave_navred.fx

Thanks in advance

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Re: General question

Post by Tako_Kichi »

It's done by adjusting the number values in the fore/aft, left/right and up/down axes. Let's break down the line you provided so that you can understand which value affects what.
  • light.1=3, -34.65, 81.00, 3.10, fx_shockwave_navred.fx

light.1 = the ID number of the light listed in ascending order.
    3 = the light type (nav light, beacon, landing light etc.)
    -34.65 = the distance (in feet) from the Point of Origin (PoO) in the fore/aft axis.
    81.00 = the distance (in feet) from the Point of Origin (PoO) in the left/right axis.
    3.10 = the distance (in feet) from the Point of Origin (PoO) in the up/down axis.
    fx_shockwave_navred = (NOTE: the .fx should NOT be there) the type of lighting effect to be used at the specified location.
The PoO is in a different place on every aircraft as the model designer can place it wherever he/she likes but generally they are located just aft of the leading edge on the centreline of the fuselage somewhere in the vicinity of the Centre of Gravity (CoG).

In the example above to move the light fore/aft you would adjust the -34.65 value and to move it left/right you would adjust the 81.00 value. The '-' sign is used to move the light to the negative side of the PoO so in the case of the 81.00 value the light would appear 81 feet from the PoO on the port wing, -81.00 would place the light 81 feet from the PoO on the starboard wing.

You need to make an adjustment then save the .cfg file and check the light position in game to see how far it moved and repeat as necessary. There is a nice trick you can use to save time and that is to set up a key combination for a non-default command which in FSX is 'Aircraft (reload)' and in FS9 is 'Reload User Aircraft'. I personally use <CTRL+SHIFT+R> as that is not used for any other command. Once you have the key combination assigned use the following steps to place a light:
  • 1. Start your flight sim of choice, select the aircraft you wish to add lights to and a suitable airfield and set the time to dusk as I find it easier to place lights at dusk rather than in full darkness.
    2. Switch to 'windowed' mode by hitting <ALT+ENTER>.
    3. Open up the aircraft.cfg file in 'Notepad'.
    4. Make any adjustments necessary to the light values and then save but DO NOT close the .cfg file.
    5. Go into the sim and hit <CTRL+SHIFT+R> to reload the aircraft.
    6. Check how the light has moved and estimate how much further it needs to be moved (this gets easier with practice).
    7. Return to the aircraft.cfg file and make the changes then save the .cfg file and go into the sim and hit <CTRL+SHIFT+R> to reload the aircraft.
    8. Repeat steps 6-7 as required.
One more tip for you is to place a nav light (red is good) for any light you are working on as it is easier to see and accurately place a nav light than say a landing light or strobe. Once you have the nav light in the correct position switch the light effect call to the required light effect then save the .cfg file and test.

Hope that helps.
Larry
E8400 Core2Duo 3 Ghz, 4 Gb DDR2 PC6400 RAM, GTX460 (1 Gb), Realtek HD O/B audio, XP Pro (SP3)
Saitek X52 HOTAS, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TIR 5 Pro, LG 22" WS LCD, B-K Gamer

kavm
Airman Basic

Post by kavm »

Many many Thanks

It's a really detailed guidance for a freshman.

kavm
Airman Basic

Post by kavm »

Many many Thanks

It's a really detailed guidance for a freshman.

I'll copy it and try it out.

Kicooi157
Airman

Post by Kicooi157 »

Sorry I cant help you there, No idea what you are talking about
Image Image Image Image
Yep......

EchoTango
Airman First Class

Post by EchoTango »

Tako_Kichi wrote:It's done by adjusting the number values in the fore/aft, left/right and up/down axes. Let's break down the line you provided so that you can understand which value affects what.
  • light.1=3, -34.65, 81.00, 3.10, fx_shockwave_navred.fx

light.1 = the ID number of the light listed in ascending order.
    3 = the light type (nav light, beacon, landing light etc.)
    -34.65 = the distance (in feet) from the Point of Origin (PoO) in the fore/aft axis.
    81.00 = the distance (in feet) from the Point of Origin (PoO) in the left/right axis.
    3.10 = the distance (in feet) from the Point of Origin (PoO) in the up/down axis.
    fx_shockwave_navred = (NOTE: the .fx should NOT be there) the type of lighting effect to be used at the specified location.
I was looking exactly for this explanation !
Thanks a lot :wink:

Is there a possibility to know the PoO for any aircraft ? (i.e. through the designer)
ImageImage

EchoTango
Airman First Class

Post by EchoTango »

Tako_Kichi wrote:It's done by adjusting the number values in the fore/aft, left/right and up/down axes.
...It works without problem...just take time to adjust lights ! :wink:

I have installed 3D Lights on some other planes which are not in the list. Easy to use !!!
Thanks Tako-_Kichi
ImageImage

EchoTango
Airman First Class

Post by EchoTango »

EchoTango wrote: Thanks Tako-_Kichi
...Thanks to the Manual too !!! :) :) :)
read it, you will find more details
ImageImage

AnkH
Airman

Post by AnkH »

Another question from a beginner: i found the thread with tons of light setups for different airplanes. Most if not almost all of them work perfectly. What I realised, is that sometimes the strobe lights on the wingtip don't move with the wing, e.g. with the SMS A340 i own. Basically, the lights are where they should be on the ground, but as soon as the wing is flexed, the lights are still at the position where they were without flex. How can I avoid this?

regards
Chris

halcyon
Airman Basic

Post by halcyon »

You don't.

Capecod
Airman Basic

Post by Capecod »

Hello,

I buy yesterday 3Dlight redux, but not happy with it because it only work with FSX aircraft and i only use third party aircraft (PMDG, aerosoft, Realair etc...)
so the soft is not for me.

How can i be refunded ?

In good coop

Sylvain R

*************************************************************************************************************************
Logo PayPal 1 nov 2014 08:38:04 CET
Nº de transaction : 8ML67959V5246345S

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

Have you read the manual or indeed this thread as listed on a couple posts up is some information for how to add the lights to aircraft? The program allows you to add the lights to the aircraft you wish and is compatible with 95% of aircraft.

The manual for your software is under your start menu.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Capecod
Airman Basic

Post by Capecod »

Heu, in fact not yet ..... :? :?

Capecod
Airman Basic

Post by Capecod »

Wahoooo !!!!! amazing difference on PMDG JS41 and PMDG MD-11, i keep it !!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank's A2A and thank you Lewis
Capecod

Guillo519
Airman

Post by Guillo519 »

I purchased it and love the difference it makes.
After tweaking it and adjusted to my like I find it a bit difficult if not impossible to "aim" the light to either left of right.
On the A2A Cessna 182T, having the light on its left wing I find it difficult to land with landing light pointing torts the left side of runway and not in the center.
It this possible?
Can I move the light to point (aim) to either side like on FSX using the keyboard shortcuts?

Best Regards :D :D

new reply

Return to “A2A Simulations 3D LIGHTS REDUX”