Problems with runway lights will this help ??

Turn ON the LIGHTS for Microsoft FS9 / FSX with this all-new version of a great package
Styggron
Master Sergeant

Problems with runway lights will this help ??

Post by Styggron »

Hi everyone,

Ok well, Rex 4 Texture Direct does modify run way lights but I find those horrible blue taxi lights are just SO hard to see no matter what I try.

When the plane shines its lights (yes even an A2A plane like the B377) on the runway you can't even see the centreline, it is barely visible (I used Rex 4 to make it stand out more but still hard to see.)

Anyway, will this light pack help or perhaps change those awful blue taxi lights into white or something more visible at least ? I find taxi way turn off so hard to see I always miss them. Hoping this might help.

I know this pack does modify runway lights. No manual online anywhere (I posted requesting the manual in another thread)

Thanks in advance everyone.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Problems with runway lights will this help ??

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

no, whilst the lights are changed a little the main product use is for the aircraft lights. I wouldn't say with certainty it would change your experience enough to purchase based on the airport change alone given your description of the issue you encounter.

In stead of light changing if I was you i'd maybe look into monitor calibration and playing with brightness and contrast settings etc as Ive never heard anyone really have the issue you describe in FSX.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Destroy
Airman First Class

Post by Destroy »

Agree with Lewis, the B377 taxi and landing lights do a great job of lighting up airport and runway surfaces.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

I'll put up some pictures and you will see what I mean. The centreline is practically unseeable unless you are totally right on it and the blue lights makes it hard to see where the taxi way is.

You can see there are blue lights up ahead and there is a turn coming but still easily missed due to other blue lights in the airport being in the way. I found the lights just do not light things up well enough. ie not enough ambient light spill.

Looks like the product may not help much, thank you for letting me know this though so no point in getting it.

Anyway I shall post some pics so you see what I mean.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes what you describe there is normal, busy airports in particular will have lots and lots of lights. If its real bad though as I say your looking at the monitor issue or somesuch as since 2006 release ten years ago ive never heard anyone mention any issue like this.

thanks,
Lewis

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Yes what you describe there is normal, busy airports in particular will have lots and lots of lights. If its real bad though as I say your looking at the monitor issue or somesuch as since 2006 release ten years ago ive never heard anyone mention any issue like this.

thanks,
Lewis
Thank you Lewis. You never heard of it ? Oh well you have now.
I'll put up some pics and then you can say if that is normal.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Okie dokie, remember also that in the sim engine itself the lights don't cast any light. They are not light emitters in the game world, its more like really bright textures next to a lot of dark ones.

thanks,
Lewis

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Okie dokie, remember also that in the sim engine itself the lights don't cast any light. They are not light emitters in the game world, its more like really bright textures next to a lot of dark ones.

thanks,
Lewis
Hello Lewis,
This makes sense now. This is why runways are just so terribly dark. So the next question is how do we make them light emitters like lights on A2A planes ? I was hoping lights redux would do something like this on runway lights ie make them emitters ?

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Hi again Lewis,
Ok, here goes. This is from this mornings flight.
You can see what I mean, you can BARELY see the centreline markers :( those are REX Texture Direct ones too, the "heaviest" ones they have and yet when we shine a light on them, you can barely see them :(

Even if you turn off the taxi light on the nose, it's no better. :(

and another a few seconds later

and one more from the runway viewpoint
Again even with "fresh markers" and as strong as they can be, they really appear extremely faded and barely readable.

Destroy
Airman First Class

Post by Destroy »

Can't say I see much wrong with your photos. Looks the same here.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Right so it's not me,

Ok so next step. How do we fix this ? The lines should be clearly visible when shining lights onto them. The lights are fading the texture it is supposed to be lighting.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Actually I think it is you or better put the management of expectations. What I'm seeing there is standard FS behavior. You can change some of the effect sizes if you want via cfg files I believe but otherwise that's just FSX/P3D.

Remember the engine doesn't support lighting like the real world in this aera. What your seeing is bright textures but no actual lighting as you get from say a modern game, it why the blue doesnt have any 'splash' effect of actual light etc.

thanks,
Lewis

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Actually I think it is you or better put the management of expectations. What I'm seeing there is standard FS behavior. You can change some of the effect sizes if you want via cfg files I believe but otherwise that's just FSX/P3D.

Remember the engine doesn't support lighting like the real world in this aera. What your seeing is bright textures but no actual lighting as you get from say a modern game, it why the blue doesnt have any 'splash' effect of actual light etc.

thanks,
Lewis
Hi Lewis,
Thank you for that. Yes you explained the runway lights but I was talking about the textures as you already explained the runway lights are not emitters early in the thread, so if I read you right, the lights on the B377 are also not emitters and hence do not "light" the runway

I thought the lights on the A2A planes actually generate light. So they don't ? I guess not because if they did, those markings would be clear.

So there are no light emitters. A real pity. I guess this is why no one has ever done something that can fix the problem. :( :(

So what does 3D lights do exactly then ? It is improved lighting if it makes default FSX like A2A planes and it does something to the runways as well but there are no before and after images/videos I can find absolutely anywhere.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes there are no light emitters like that in any lights, so the 'illuminated lights' and 3d lights are all texture based in the FSX platform.

thanks,
Lewis

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Thanks Lewis
Ok so no point buying 3D lights as it will not fix the problem.

new reply

Return to “A2A Simulations 3D LIGHTS REDUX”