Strange thing happened with power settings -something wrong?

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
new reply
BraselC5048
Airman First Class

Strange thing happened with power settings -something wrong?

Post by BraselC5048 »

Anyway, last night I was cruising at 27,000 feet, 120,000 lb and1800 BHP per engine. I had loaded a few minutes earlier from a saved game. I noticed my pitch reference was -0.7 degrees, and I decided that I could reduce power to 1700 BHP. I was at 56% (give or take a few percent) turbo, 2200 RPM, 155 PSI BMEP, mixture .58 manual lean, and full throttle, of course. CAT was 13 C.

I reduced to 2100 RPM, stabilized the CAT and power at auto lean, then manually leaned the mixture for an 17? % BMEP drop. I wound up afterwards at 2100 RPM, 155 PSI BMEP, mixture .56 manual lean, and CAT 13 C. Or perfectly normal for 1700 BHP, in other words. The strange thing was that despite the instruments indicating 1700 BHP, the turbo was now somehow at 74% for that power, more then before, airspeed had increased from 187? to 196 knots, and pitch reference was -1.0 degrees! How the heck does that happen when I reduced power? I set the autopilot to pitch hold at 0.0 degrees (level), and the bird started climbing at 400 feet per minute! It was down to about 110 feet per minute at 29,000 feet, and I put the autopilot back in altitude hold.

What happened? Was something wrong? It seemed that somehow reducing power resulted in a power increase. I was certainly on the step, airspeed was high enough and pitch low enough to rule that out.

crownvic
Airman

Re: Strange thing happened with power settings -something wr

Post by crownvic »

Hello,

if i'am right you said that you decrease from 1800 BHP to 1700 BHP but at the same moment you have a turbocharger speed increase from 56% to 74% at FL 270.
How is this possible, how do you do your BHP calculation?
Maybe you have the engines leaned back to much, in this case you have to compensate this with increase of MAP(turbocharger speed), but on the other hand a remarkable rise of CHT would occur. Do you decrease your power and then perform a climb over 2000ft with cruise power setting? Without loss of speed?

BraselC5048
Airman First Class

Post by BraselC5048 »

The same thing happened again when I next (a half hour or less of flying time) loaded from a save, climb rate at 0 degrees pitch going from what was 120ish FPM at the top of the climb to 27,000 ft last time to 400 PFM again. And this definitely belongs in the tech support section. When I landed, I had more passengers and supplies then I took off with! :roll:
I had around maybe 45 passengers, extra cargo, and 60-70 ish % supplies, and 43,000 lb fuel when I loaded the plane before takeoff. When I landed, I had about the right amount of cargo, 70 passengers (!), and 100% supplies after having served two meals!

So something seriously screwy with the weight and payload happened.
Also, after I landed, (a bad landing, but not much worse then most of my other terrible landings, as far as I know), the passengers were really angry. I don't know what I did to get them so angry. We took off in a thunderstorm, and had heavy turbulence while climbing to initial cruise in and out of thunderstorms, but other then that, and a typical bad landing, I have no idea.
Also sometimes the nosewheel refuses to stay turned, in this case while I was trying to make a terminal turn. I failed, of course.

Anyway off to post this in the tech support section.

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

BraselC5048 wrote:I had around maybe 45 passengers, extra cargo, and 60-70 ish % supplies, and 43,000 lb fuel when I loaded the plane before takeoff. When I landed, I had about the right amount of cargo, 70 passengers (!),...
Was this a flight full of pregnant women??? :lol:

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Is this only happening after you save and reload a flight? If so, does it happen right away?

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Stratocruiser”