New Captain - Checklist Problem

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
new reply
Eric.
Staff Sergeant

New Captain - Checklist Problem

Post by Eric. »

Just going through the procedures on the ground, getting used to where things are in the cockpit. I'm stuck on the Ground Test (page 78 of the manual). Engineer's step 3, about placing the prop controls each in manual, then using the decrease rpm switch to decrease from 1500 to 1300rpm. I can't get the RPM to change either way (apart from the master sync lever of course). Is there something tricky about this?

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Re: New Captain - Checklist Problem

Post by gulredrel »

The individual auto/manual switches must be in the manual position. Then hold the propeller switch in the decrease position. But this takes a long while, almost 50 seconds to see a drop in rpm, as I remember correctly.
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

Eric.
Staff Sergeant

Post by Eric. »

They were in the manual positions. It says 52 seconds to drop that much. I didn't see it drop a single rpm in over 30 seconds. The master lever stays in the full increase position (or doesn't matter what it is, I'd assume)?

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

The master lever can stay whereever it is because it's overridden with the control switches in the manual position. Make sure you hold the switch in the decrease position all the time.
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Yes, Gulredrel is right, it really takes that long of continuous holding to see the drop. Once it drops, it is fairly rapid! The return is rapid, as well!

JP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eric.
Staff Sergeant

Post by Eric. »

Ok, got it. I thought it was just maybe a very long slow drop of maybe 10rpm/second and that's why it took 50+ seconds, but rather it takes 50+ seconds to even begin to drop. Very odd. Thanks!

Now I'm just waiting for an endless amount of traffic in the pattern to make my first takeoff.

Neon
Technical Sergeant

Post by Neon »

Eric. wrote:Just going through the procedures on the ground, getting used to where things are in the cockpit. I'm stuck on the Ground Test (page 78 of the manual). Engineer's step 3, about placing the prop controls each in manual, then using the decrease rpm switch to decrease from 1500 to 1300rpm. I can't get the RPM to change either way (apart from the master sync lever of course). Is there something tricky about this?
Are you talking about moving the prop levers back to 0% during the runup test? If so, run RPM up to 1700 rpm and
you should be able to pull prop levers all the way to 0 and see an immediate drop in RPM to around 1200 rpm.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

He's talking about the switches on the lower engineer panel forward facing next to the turbo lever.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Stratocruiser”