Attention COTS Pilots - Post Your Captain's Logs Here

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
kakarot133
Airman

Re: Attention COTS Pilots - Post Your Captain's Logs Here

Post by kakarot133 »

First time posting, but wanted to share this here first. Made a bit of a mistake on a flight from Rio De Janeiro to Port of Spain and only loaded a "light" fuel preset. At top of climb was when I realized what I did wrong when the numbers weren't working out for me with the 22kt headwind, so I leaned the mixture out as much as I could to see how far I could take it, when halfway through the flight the headwind turned into a 5kt tailwind for the rest of the flight, landing me safely at the destination on fumes. My jaw dropped a little when I saw the cost per mile...

Hotshot J
Airman First Class

Post by Hotshot J »

Get that posted into American and you sir will have a job by the morning...
ImageImageImage

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

Impressive! :)

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Kakarot133,

+1 That is really impressive.

I have added your name and log to all the stats on the main page. You set a few new records with this one. :wink:

It's great being able to add a new pilot to the bunch.

Excellent flying and thank you!
FAC257

Apexpilot
Airman First Class

Post by Apexpilot »

Hello Fellow Pilot's!

Unfortunately i managed to get fired from my job as 377 captain. Had a few extremely bad flights in horrible weather conditions. And now i am wondering, after being let go, if there is a way to get up on top again. Or do i need to reset my career which would be not very nice!

Thanks for the help in advance!

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

The first step and a serious warning, do not try to restart FSX and bring up the 377 for any reason until you back up the folder mentioned below.

Look in the following location "Users\(yourname)\Documents|A2A\FSX"

In that last "FSX" folder you will find all of the data folders for your A2A Accusim aircraft, except the P-47.

This "377" folder contains not only the data for the last flight that you got fired on, but also up to 5 previously activated or flown flights.

They will be listed like this:
377log.dat
377log.dat.bak1
377log.dat.bak2
377log.dat.bak3
377log.dat.bak4
377log.dat.bak5

The top one without the ".bak", will have your career in the last state you left it in. In your case unfortunately "Fired". :)

With luck and depending on how many times you have fired up the 377 since you got fired, one of the older files with the ".bak", might be your career before you got fired.

The trick in recovering the good career is to not go chasing a ghost. Each file can be converted to the active career by simply removing the ".bak & number".
What happens though, is that each time you change any of the files, ".bak1,bak2,.bak3,.bak4, & .bak5" ,to the active career file, the next time the 377 is brought up in FSX, it will move all of the remaining .bak files at least one notch lower on the list. This means that the ".bak5: file will be deleted and ".bak4" file will become the new ".bak5" file.

If the original ".bak5" was your oldest and best career file to rebuild your career, it is now deleted and gone.

Another way to put this, is that if you are fired, and you then went and started FSX up and brought up the 377, 5 or 6 times, it's a good bet that every back-up career you once had, are all now fired pilots.

---------------
This is my method for the safest way to recover from a terminated career:
1. Immediately after the career terminating flight, back out of FSX and do not try to get back in the 377.

2. Make a back-up copy of the entire "A2A\FSX\377" folder and save it by renaming it slightly.

3. Now with the hopefully still good career isolated in the saved version of the "377" folder, you can return to the active "377" folder and start the ghost hunt. :-)

4. Don't look so much at the numbering of the ".bak" files, but more at the time stamp of when they were created. If you crashed in the evening, theoretically a ".bak" file time stamped earlier in the day, should still be a good career. Time stamps on ".bak" files from the previous day have even a better chance of still being active.

5. Just remember, that each time you test out a .bak file by renaming it to the active career file, "377log.dat". All of the remaining files in the folder will move down the stack. This is why I recommend making a back up of the 377 dat folder first. If you are unlucky enough to guess the wrong ".bak" file 5 or 6 times, and don't have a second saved set to work with, your career is now permanently lost.

------------
Personally I not only follow the steps mentioned above, but actually take it one step further.

Before any A2A Accusim aircraft flight, I make a backup of the current active folder before I start FSX and rename it to the last date or flight number. That way I know all of the ".dat & .bak" files in the folder are not dead careers. If I crash, die or get fired, I just delete the entire "377" folder and then go grab the last good one that I had renamed before flying that day.

This is what my "Documents|A2A\FSX" folder looks like right now.

-------------
The back-up plan to the back-up plan above. Making a dated copy of the entire "A2A" folder before the start of each day's flight.

Makes it look like I'm a little paranoid about losing pilot's and airframes. :)
FAC257

Apexpilot
Airman First Class

Post by Apexpilot »

Thanks for the help. Worked as a charm! I am not unemployed anymore :D

Best Regards!

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

:)

Glad that help save your career. I've saved my guy a few times with that plan.
FAC257

nextalcupfan
Airman Basic

Post by nextalcupfan »

First flight in career. (And only the second flight in total) I know it says i aced the landing but i used up over half of a 10000ft runway to set it down so i wouldn't say it was the best. The applause was nice though. :) Flight was KSTJ - KBOS.

Apexpilot
Airman First Class

Post by Apexpilot »

Nice Cost per mile!

I'm currently fling the "old" Panam around the world route and i hope the airline will have something better to say. Not only that i am an average pilot :D

But first things first, i have to renew my real life IR licence so i will have to go up for some IR training in the 182.

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

nextalcupfan,

Great flight and that really is an excellent cost per mile stat.

I've got you added to the main Pilots roster and the Cost Per Mile group, on the front page.

Thanks so much for the new log and adding a new name to the crew.

Added:
Just realized looking at your side bar that we both have an anniversary date coming up next month on the 29th. :-)
FAC257

nextalcupfan
Airman Basic

Post by nextalcupfan »

Well looks like the cost per mile on my first flight wasn't an accident. :) Flight was from KBOS to EGLL and I used all of the oil in the center tank and only had about 18 gallons in each engine on landing. All engine's were in Excellent condition when I took off but after landing both 3 and 4 changed to Good condition. My cruising altitude was FL350 and I was trying to do it all at once without doing a step climb (with max fuel and a medium load-out I might add), I was actually within 2-4 degrees of the turbine bearing red line for 20 min on the climb on #3 engine.

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

nextalcupfan,

That is some very consistent steady flying. :)

Your updated with your new log up top.

Thanks for posting another new one.
FAC257

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

After several month I wanted to do my next leg of Pan Am round the world tour, but accusim had something else for me.
Engine failure no. 2 and 4 during initial climb. Had to divert and land.

Regards
Jens
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Jens,

I have your new log posted up top. Even though your flight was cut short by the emergency, you still added a few passenger miles to your "Million Mile" stats above also.

Thanks as always for the new log.
FAC257

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Stratocruiser”