Proper Use of 377 Radios

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
new reply
natet
Airman

Proper Use of 377 Radios

Post by natet »

Are there any threads on the proper use of the radios and what all the switches and nobs can do?
Cant seem to tune in NDBs.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Proper Use of 377 Radios

Post by Jacques »

Hi Nate,
To tune NDBs, go to the radio panel between the two pilots in the center console. Find the two switches in the upper middle portion labeled NAV and ADF. Switch them to ADF.

Diagonally down and to the left and the right are the left and right ADF controls. First you need to select the band, then tune the frequency. So if you wanted to tune an NDB at 258, you select the 200-410 band, then turn the tunng lever until it reads 258. There should be a box that pops up when you hover over the tuning lever to help you find your frequency.

Refer to pg 54 in the manual for a better look at the radio console.

To confirm you have tuned the correct NDB, go back to the upper middle panel. Below the NAV/ ADF selector switches are five other switches labled ADF, NAV/ILS, MARKER, NAV/ILS, ADF. Flip the ADF switch up on the left side, and if the NDB you tuned on the left side is in range you will hear the Morse identifier and you can then confirm that you've tuned the correct NDB.

natet
Airman

Post by natet »

Thanks for the info. What about the ATN and LOOP switches? Are they at all useful?

Thanks again

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

No, they server no purpose because FSX doesn't have such functions.
Cheers
Trev

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Proper Use of 377 Radios

Post by Jacques »

Nate, they are certainly actionable, but I don't think they have much of a practical function in the siim, unless you were solely navigating by NDB's. At least, I've never used them as such.

I assume if you select loop, then turn the loop position knob and watch the ADF tuning meter you can see when the loop has picked up the strongest signal from the NDB. There would be two spikes, one directing at the NDB, and the other pointing away from the NDB. You would use the ANT to help suss out which spike is which.

I have no idea if A2A modeled this behavior. But it is A2A....so maybe they did! I'm sorry I can't be more detailed...perhaps looking online for information about ADF navigation will give you the proper method to use those two tools.

edit-- And, looks like Treetops has your answer!

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

At least you did a good job of explaining the function. :)
Cheers
Trev

natet
Airman

Post by natet »

Well weather it works or not, I truly appreciate the info from both of you.

Thanks again.

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Stratocruiser”