occasionally engine 1 refuses to start - auto start no good

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
new reply
Styggron
Master Sergeant

occasionally engine 1 refuses to start - auto start no good

Post by Styggron »

Hi everyone,
Still loving my B377 with COTS

Still finding it hard to fly as a recent livestream showed.

My question.

1. No matter what I could not start engine 1. I might have flooded it so I waited. All I saw on the guages were the dials spin up and just run down to noting. Engine 1 would not start.
2. Pressing auto start on the panel did nothing which was odd.
3. I I decided to fly with 3 engines but I could not taxi properly so I turned off engine 4 so I only had engine 2 and 3.

Yes well, trying to take off line that was not good :O

My questions
1. how come auto start did not start it ? It did the same thing you saw the gauge of engine 1 spin around then all go back to zero
2. How can I remedy this ie how can I correct it in reality without autostart. I tried for around 10 min to start engine 1 pausing between too.

The auto FE was on of course. (As I have not DARED to fly without it).

Please do not suggest "have you updated accu-sim" just please concentrate on what I was doing wrong in the plane :)
and yes I have the manual and yes I have gone through it but it could be something I missed so will re read presently.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

A-26Invader
Staff Sergeant

Re: occasionally engine 1 refuses to start - auto start no g

Post by A-26Invader »

Check the maintenance hangar and see if the engine is in "poor condition". If so overhaul it and it should start right up next time. Seeing how the plane was operating before with no issues, your engine might be shot and in need of overhaul.
ImageImageImage

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

A-26Invader wrote:Check the maintenance hangar and see if the engine is in "poor condition". If so overhaul it and it should start right up next time. Seeing how the plane was operating before with no issues, your engine might be shot and in need of overhaul.
Waaaaay ahead of you. :) That is one of the first things I tried. There were no reported problems and the engines were showing up as excellent.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Hi Styggron, unfortunately my ipad died, which is where Twitch resided and I can't watch whatever video you linked on my effing phone! But I think you are on the right track! One switch, somewhere, has not been set "on". i know the sound you describe all too well. So look for something in electrics or fuel or even the the magneto to not be in its correct position for the engine to fire. Wish I could see the clip...sorry I couldn't be more help.

Neon
Technical Sergeant

Post by Neon »

On mine it's engine 2 that always is difficult to start. Always takes longer. Usual routine fixes it, it just takes longer.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Jacques wrote:Hi Styggron, unfortunately my ipad died, which is where Twitch resided and I can't watch whatever video you linked on my effing phone! But I think you are on the right track! One switch, somewhere, has not been set "on". i know the sound you describe all too well. So look for something in electrics or fuel or even the the magneto to not be in its correct position for the engine to fire. Wish I could see the clip...sorry I couldn't be more help.
I agree. It is the realism of the FE sometimes mistakes are made. For example sometimes the battery masters are on sometimes they are not, that one is easy.

There must have been something amiss with engine 1 a switch not set. Because I never start it all up myself and always get the FE to do that, I don't know what the problem is. I have seen it before on other engines though. The gaugage spins around, the engine does not "catch" and it spins back to nothing.

Still, why didn't autostart start it. The maintenance hangar showed no issues. This is the first time I've used autostart though so I don't know if it was a glitch with that or something.

Perhaps after all this time, I should learn to do the engine setup myself.
I am hoping I can learn to set a few things then switch to the FE and if I did anything wrong they will correct it.

Lets hope someone can weigh in with some more info. Thank you to all those who posted so far :)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Styggron.
Not flown this aircraft in a while , my engines are in fair condition for engs 1 to 3 and good for eng 4 , set FE for staioon/pressurization/turbos , let him set up the aircraft , once aircraft ready , i set auto-start , all engines fired up no issues.
Only thing i can think of for your issue is igniters playing up , even though your engines are in excellent condition , hence poor or no start for that engine , remember the engines on this aircraft where renown for one problem after another.
regards alan. 8)

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Stratocruiser”