A2A Journey: T-6 Texans and F-104 Starfighters

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
stiz
BDG

Re: A2A Journey: T-6 Texans and F-104 Starfighters

Post by stiz »

everyone notice how scott STILL hasnt let rob of the leash? poor guy goes from locked chair to locked chair, even during museum vists scotts disguised the leash as a bag strap :lol: :D

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

guillaume78150 wrote:I was in Germany in the 70s and remember the Luftwaffe F104 crossing the "Autobahn" at around 500'. It was in winter, low ceiling and with external fuel tanks, I guess it let not much margin in case of engine failure.
Hot bird ? :wink:
A similar memory - I was on a train in northern Germany in 1980 when a Luftwaffe F104 came out of nowhere and flew right over us at treetop level. I got the sense he was using the train to practice attack runs, but it might just have been coincidence that we occupied nearly the same space (just a couple hundred feet vertical separation) at the same time. Extraordinary experience - I can still see every detail.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Exciting stuff. Also glad to see something come off the back burner, re the F-104. Only Lockheed could have designed that plane :D

Thanks for thew update.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

speedy70 wrote:Hi.
Wasn't the starfighter considered to be the most dangerous aircraft ever produced for pilots.
Cheers Chris
Hi Chris,

Yes there have been quite a lot of accidents with the Starfighter here in Germany. Hence its nickname "Widowmaker". From what I understand it wasn't a reliability or operational issue with the aircraft itself.
It was more that the very young Luftwaffe tried to use the Starfighter as a multipurpose fighter/bomber for what it simply wasn't designed by Lookheed.

It's still an amazing aircraft and I'm a little sad that one doesn't see them around in Europe. It's such a sleek looking bird.

Thanks for the additional pictures Scott. I'm sure that trip was productive but also a lot of fun!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant
Location: EX- Christchurch now called "Wobblyville" New Zealand

Post by Ian Warren »

I think the biggest and luckiest thing is the opportunity is to bump into so many off them, one hell off a machine, come on guys - just how sharp were those leading edges :)

some1 - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by some1 - A2A »

Ian Warren wrote:I think the biggest and luckiest thing is the opportunity is to bump into so many off them, one hell off a machine, come on guys - just how sharp were those leading edges :)
These are one of the few airworthy starfighters left in this world.

The leading edges are not sharp, that's more an urban myth. Yes, they are very thin, about half of a millimeter, but that's still much more than a razor or a knife edge. You can grab them with a bare hand and you won't get hurt. But if you hit them accidentally with your arm or head when doing maintenance around the plane, you'll likely hurt yourself, hence the need for covers.
Michael Krawczyk

oakfloor
Senior Airman

Post by oakfloor »

Wasn't the starfighter considered to be the most dangerous aircraft ever produced for pilots.
Cheers Chris
There all dangerous, Chuck Yeager stated "They don't suffer fools gladly". There's a old saying, If you want to own a 104' buy a acre of land in west Germany and wait, the west German Luftwaffe lost many pilots when they flew them. Although the Italian AF kept theirs until 04' IIRC.
Last edited by oakfloor on 21 Nov 2015, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.

oakfloor
Senior Airman

Post by oakfloor »

Piper_EEWL wrote:
Cheers Chris
Hi Chris,

Yes there have been quite a lot of accidents with the Starfighter here in Germany. Hence its nickname "Widowmaker". From what I understand it wasn't a reliability or operational issue with the aircraft itself.
It was more that the very young Luftwaffe tried to use the Starfighter as a multipurpose fighter/bomber for what it simply wasn't designed by Lookheed.

It's still an amazing aircraft and I'm a little sad that one doesn't see them around in Europe. It's such a sleek looking bird.

Thanks for the additional pictures Scott. I'm sure that trip was productive but also a lot of fun!
Correct, the weather was also a factor.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Great to see Rob and Michael K getting to have some hands-on fun rather than being buried up to their eyes in code (though that's 'fun' too, I'm sure! :mrgreen: )
speedy70 wrote:Wasn't the starfighter considered to be the most dangerous aircraft ever produced for pilots.
I'd guess there are plenty of other contenders for this dubious title. Top prize would go to the Yokosuka MXY7 Ohka I'd say!

An A2A F-104 would certainly be a dramatic step up in terms of performance and workload after spending so much time in the Cherokee and its GA siblings... What could possibly go wrong? :wink:

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian Warren »

some1 - A2A wrote:
Ian Warren wrote:I think the biggest and luckiest thing is the opportunity is to bump into so many off them, one hell off a machine, come on guys - just how sharp were those leading edges :)
The leading edges are not sharp, that's more an urban myth. Yes, they are very thin,
:D Just making sure one is on the ball :P .... now about the pointy front end ....

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian Warren »

Nick M wrote: An A2A F-104 would certainly be a dramatic step up in terms of performance and workload after spending so much time in the Cherokee and its GA siblings... What could possibly go wrong? :wink:
What possibly could, hours on all types, buuuuuut before we step into the 104 office some last minute training in the AT6 :lol:

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Ian Warren wrote:...buuuuuut before we step into the 104 office some last minute training in the AT6 :lol:
Or perhaps a step-up via the T-33, if that gets a position ahead of the F-104 on the assembly line...
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Shame on me for not including the Comanche in these picts. Rob and Michal had some solid time flying in and out of various US destinations and experienced the first class comfort of the Comanche :)

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian Warren »

:D Love the glass's in the back :lol: ... only the force could that be !

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Now that I am back home and settled in, I have to say what an honor and a pleasure it was to spend a week with Michal (Some1) and Rob. We were pretty much on the go most of the time (though we did enjoy ourselves when we could), and visited key partners, having the level of both talent and class both Rob and Michal bring to the table continually reminded me that people make a company. It's simply that, good people and nothing more.

I just wish everyone could see Michal in action - his mind is massive, and we're so lucky to have him working in flight simulation. And of course Rob and his raw talent... It was so funny, everywhere we landed, Rob always commented on different smells of these places. He not only has super vision and super hearing (a musician) but a super nose :)

It is clear, that the passion and gravitas we bring to the table is recognized by our partners. Over here in the states, it's usually just me attending these meetings. What a total pleasure it was having two heavy-weights flanking me as we talked business.

Life is good and thanks to the talent we have working here, we are hopefully doing our part in making this world a little better place pursuing our passion. I want to also thank everyone here for doing the same as there would be no A2A without the family / community here.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”