The Accu-Sim Connie is in beta

The "Queen of the Skies"
Mastodon
Airman Basic

Re: The Accu-Sim Connie is in beta

Post by Mastodon »

I spent 5 years as a radio operator on the E-3 Sentry. The Air Force used Connies as an AWACS platform before the 707 came online, and there's a static display of one near the E-3 Squadrons at Oklahoma's Tinker AFB. I always thought the EC-121 (the AF designation for their L1049 variant) was a much more attractive plane than the E-3 that replaced it.

Is there any chance of a model with the radar bumps on it? I'd love to have an AWACS with A2A's level of realism!

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Mastodon wrote: Is there any chance of a model with the radar bumps on it? I'd love to have an AWACS with A2A's level of realism!
It'd be great, but I doubt we'll see one - they've been pretty clear we're getting only the original L-049 model. They tend not to do variants, said a longtime A2A-watcher who's waiting for a Spitfire Mk V... and waiting... and waiting... 8)
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

Yeah the MkV would have been nice, but Scott has said before sometimes priorities change and opportunities arise that they take advantage of. Can't say I really disagree with that as it has brought some truly great products forward. We will see what the future holds. This one will be pretty exciting and complicated I imagine. I personally think they would give us an automated flight engineer that starts the engine and all so we can play as Captain of the Ship. Shall see though. Not going to be disappointed either way.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

Starting procedures do not interest me that much, but I am looking forward to applying my paintbrushes to the Connie!
FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

Mastodon
Airman Basic

Post by Mastodon »

Alan_A wrote:
Mastodon wrote: Is there any chance of a model with the radar bumps on it? I'd love to have an AWACS with A2A's level of realism!
It'd be great, but I doubt we'll see one - they've been pretty clear we're getting only the original L-049 model. They tend not to do variants, said a longtime A2A-watcher who's waiting for a Spitfire Mk V... and waiting... and waiting... 8)
I mean, I can understand not doing multiple variants of some aircraft, like the 182 for instance. There's what, something like 20 different variants of them? While the RG version of the 182 would've been nice, there'd have been a lot more work on A2A's part. New sounds, new panel modeling, new accu-sim logic to add. It'd be almost an entirely new aircraft. But, they did that with the Piper Cub when they added a float variant. And then they added skis, and tundra tires too. And they've done customizable options with other aircraft. The Comanche has optional wingtip fuel tanks, the PA-28 has wheel and wing fairings, and the T-6 has different canopies and antennas. It could be similar for something like the USAF reconnaissance Connie (recon-connie? reconnie?). Being a large airliner, you wouldn't hear any wind flow differences between having the antennas and radars and not having them, so there's no new sound files to record. The panels would be the same since all of the related functions are done by the crew in back, easily hidden by shutting the door to the cockpit. Aside from a new model, the only real difference would just be in weight, drag, and the related performance decreases. I'm not an FS developer, so I don't know all the technical details A2A deals with, but to my limited mind, it seems like it could be easily doable.

It's just a suggestion anyways.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I'm looking forward to a slightly greasy, well-used, cargo transport. Perhaps an ex-CIA bird. Something non-descript, like this DC-3:

Only a Connie.

Seeya
ATB

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Mastodon wrote:But, they did that with the Piper Cub when they added a float variant. And then they added skis, and tundra tires too. And they've done customizable options with other aircraft. The Comanche has optional wingtip fuel tanks, the PA-28 has wheel and wing fairings, and the T-6 has different canopies and antennas. It could be similar for something like the USAF reconnaissance Connie (recon-connie? reconnie?)

True, but the Cub (and the P-47 and the P-40, which also had some model variations) go back a while. More recently, they've focused on the particular aircraft they're modeling. The repaint list suggests a T-6D would have been popular, but a G model is what they had available, so that's what got Accu-Simmed.

There've been a couple of cases of study-sim developers doing visual-only models - PMDG did a 747 Large Capacity Freighter on top of its 747-400, and there's a visual-only Poseidon for the NGX. But those are the exceptions. Doing an EC-121 would mean modeling a 1049, which means different weights, different engines, different flying characteristics... I can't speak for A2A but I guess their case would be that if you make compromises that big in what you're modeling, you're sort of undercutting what's special about Accu-Sim.

I'm saying this as somebody who lobbied for years for a civilianized B-17, so I get it.

On the other hand, I've learned to explore and enjoy what they do develop. I started out as a fan of the stretch Connies, but I have to say the 049 is growing on me. There's something organic about the compound curves in the original fuselage. The whole thing looks like the 1939 version of the airliner of the future, sort of an art deco feel, which I guess it was. So... not my starting point... but I guess I'm good....
Roadburner426 wrote: I personally think they would give us an automated flight engineer that starts the engine and all so we can play as Captain of the Ship.
That's gotta be a given. And I'll be happy to hand him nearly all the workload. But when it comes to starting engines... why should he have all the fun?

I was thinking that a nice enhancement might be an autostart by engine, so you could tell the engineer to start, say, 3, then do your part of the Captain's flow. I sometimes used the existing autostart in the Strat and the B-17 when I'm pressed for time, but it feels too much like CTRL+E.
jcblom wrote: Starting procedures do not interest me that much, but I am looking forward to applying my paintbrushes to the Connie!
We're looking forward to your brushes, too! And no problem about the division of labor - you paint 'em, we'll get 'em started.

If I can be so bold as to take a place in your delivery queue... Capital Airlines, please?
Paughco wrote: I'm looking forward to a slightly greasy, well-used, cargo transport. Perhaps an ex-CIA bird. Something non-descript, like this DC-3:
If it was a DC-3 or a DC-4 or a DC-6 I'd agree with you. But a Connie? That's no way to treat a lady! :P
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Pommeslie
Airman

Post by Pommeslie »

If there is one, set me on the preorder list,... :)
I know I will love it, like I love all of your civil-airplains.

But if it is allowed to me to set one wish, then please give us a light version of Captain of the sim to this beauty.
A version in which not very good skilled sim-pilots have the possibility to enjoy the whole simulation without being fired after a while. A version with less consequences if something isn’t running that smooth and the crew is on the way to hate you.

I mean like a trainee grade, and a pilots grade.

Lufthansa 380
Staff Sergeant

Post by Lufthansa 380 »

Can not wait anymore!! :shock:

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Lufthansa 380 wrote:Can not wait anymore!! :shock:
Couldn't agree more :lol:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Mastodon wrote:
Alan_A wrote:
I mean, I can understand not doing multiple variants of some aircraft, like the 182 for instance. There's what, something like 20 different variants of them? While the RG version of the 182 would've been nice, there'd have been a lot more work on A2A's part. New sounds, new panel modeling, new accu-sim logic to add. It'd be almost an entirely new aircraft. But, they did that with the Piper Cub when they added a float variant. And then they added skis, and tundra tires too. And they've done customizable options with other aircraft. The Comanche has optional wingtip fuel tanks, the PA-28 has wheel and wing fairings, and the T-6 has different canopies and antennas. It could be similar for something like the USAF reconnaissance Connie (recon-connie? reconnie?). Being a large airliner, you wouldn't hear any wind flow differences between having the antennas and radars and not having them, so there's no new sound files to record. The panels would be the same since all of the related functions are done by the crew in back, easily hidden by shutting the door to the cockpit. Aside from a new model, the only real difference would just be in weight, drag, and the related performance decreases. I'm not an FS developer, so I don't know all the technical details A2A deals with, but to my limited mind, it seems like it could be easily doable.

It's just a suggestion anyways.
Actually, this is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison, especially in regard to the Pipers and T-6. The EC-121's that you are requesting are a vastly different plane to the L-049. EC-121's were derived from the Super Constellation L-1049 which was a stretched Constellation. This had a longer fuselage, much higher power engines with power recovery turbines, different fuel system and much higher gross weights, among other things. Another of the noticeable differences between short and long bodied Connies is the shape of the cockpit windows. For the longer Connies, the windows were raised in height about 7 inches to improve pilots vision. You'd notice this in your virtual cockpit. There were a few short bodied Connies built as airborne radar stations (designated PO-1W by the Air Force and WV-1 by the Navy) and these were derived from the model 749, but again, the 749 had many differences from the Model 049, including higher powered engines, revised fuel systems and higher weight. If you're serious about the full range of Constellations and have FS9 installed, you'll find every version over at the CalClassics site, plus tonnes of repaints too. They're still worth a look.

I agree it would be nice to see other later versions of the Connie, especially the Model 749 as this was the "hot rod" of the range, but they're not. They're almost all vastly different planes. The easiest conversion to the Model 049 is the Model 149, which were conversions of the 049. These had a 6 tank fuel system and no eye brow windows in the cockpit, so I would have thought this could be more easily arranged. Maybe A2A will surprise us on this.

Cheers,
Mike.
Last edited by Dogsbody55 on 25 Sep 2016, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Like most, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of this most beautiful of airliners. So I thought I might post a few pictures that I've taken of the HARS Connie. This museum is based on the other side of the continent from me, and that plane was always in the hangar when I visited, so there's no shot of the entire plane. Instead these are photos of various aspects of the plane. Please bear in mind that this plane is a C-121 now posing as a Model 1049G Super Constellation Hope you enjoy.

Firstly, some shots of the engines.

The shot above is a spare engine in it's Vietnam War era container. Some of the engines that power airworthy Connies are actually Vietnam War surplus Skyraider engines left behind when that conflict ended. At the top of the engine, you can see one of the power recovery turbines.

The next photo is a cutaway R-3350.

Next up, the cockpit, as this is the bit we will spend most of our time.. Firstly the pilots station.

Flight Engineers station. I couldn't get a better angle as you're not allowed in the cockpit.

Next up is not something you'll see every day. It's the Navigators sextant.

Lastly, a couple of exterior shots. This is one packed hangar :)

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

I like that red and white paint scheme with the blacked out nose. Hopefully somebody does that one without all the logos on it. Nice engine photos as well. Weird that there are enough left over in the cans from Vietnam still to be used for the Connie's now. I suppose it wasn't much after Vietnam though that all the piston powered planes left the inventories of most of the services.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Cool fotos. I'm very much looking forward to taking that left seat in the sim :wink:

Thanks for sharing
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant
Location: EX- Christchurch now called "Wobblyville" New Zealand

Post by Ian Warren »

Hey ya Doggy body :) , I have the book 'Bringing Connie Home' by Gary R. Squire , course had to have the DVD, a 'Relationship with Connie' a superb DVD about the crew and the restoration team ... Great Photos 8)

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”