The Accu-Sim Connie is in beta

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
awash2002
A2A ACE

Re: The Accu-Sim Connie is in beta

Post by awash2002 »

I'm about to go on amazon and order some Connie books and manuals to study up with

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

awash2002 wrote:I'm about to go on amazon and order some Connie books and manuals to study up with
They have some good ones available.

You might want to start with this free one - it's a PDF of the US Army Air Forces Flight Operating Instructions for the C-69, which was the military version of the L-049 that A2A is modeling. A full set of procedures and checklists, plus lots of system detail. You can also find print versions online, but you have to pay for them.

So far on Amazon, I've tracked down this one (comprehensive history) and this one (out of print, VERY expensive, very nice illustrations, text is good but the translation from the original French isn't great). They have many others - many are out of print but most of those are pretty affordable.

Hope this gets you started.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

addman
Staff Sergeant

Post by addman »

Alan_A wrote:
awash2002 wrote:I'm about to go on amazon and order some Connie books and manuals to study up with
They have some good ones available.

You might want to start with this free one - it's a PDF of the US Army Air Forces Flight Operating Instructions for the C-69, which was the military version of the L-049 that A2A is modeling. A full set of procedures and checklists, plus lots of system detail. You can also find print versions online, but you have to pay for them.

So far on Amazon, I've tracked down this one (comprehensive history) and this one (out of print, VERY expensive, very nice illustrations, text is good but the translation from the original French isn't great). They have many others - many are out of print but most of those are pretty affordable.

Hope this gets you started.
Great finds there! The military manual is especially amusing with it's humourous illustrations. :D
Cheers!/Andreas

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Thanks - though credit for the PDF of the Flight Operating Instructions goes to Tailspin45. I hadn't been aware of the free version and bought a hard copy through Essco Aircraft. Happy I did - I like leafing through technical manuals. But it's nice to have the no-cost option.

Agree about the drawings - I especially like caution about the autopilot on page 47, the one where the autopilot has joined in the crap game and the goat on the mountaintop is wondering why an airplane is flying straight at it... 8)

addman
Staff Sergeant

Post by addman »

Alan_A wrote:Thanks - though credit for the PDF of the Flight Operating Instructions goes to Tailspin45. I hadn't been aware of the free version and bought a hard copy through Essco Aircraft. Happy I did - I like leafing through technical manuals. But it's nice to have the no-cost option.

Agree about the drawings - I especially like caution about the autopilot on page 47, the one where the autopilot has joined in the crap game and the goat on the mountaintop is wondering why an airplane is flying straight at it... 8)
lol! yeah that was the one that made me reply to your post, love it!
Cheers!/Andreas

Tailspin45
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tailspin45 »

Not our A2A version, but still an impressive sight

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=UV7-73LmOm0[/youtube]
Blue skies and tailwinds

addman
Staff Sergeant

Post by addman »

Tailspin45 wrote:Not our A2A version, but still an impressive sight

Actually, yes! it kind of is the A2A version since most C-69 were just converted to L-049's after the war.

"Most of the C-69 aircraft built were later converted into civilian airliners under the new designation L-049."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_ ... stellation
Cheers!/Andreas

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Great video indeed. I saw it this morning too and posted it over in the other Connie thread. What an amazing light show.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

:shock:

Should be required viewing for the (mostly) tube fans on other forums who ask questions like, "why would I want to fly an obsolete airplane?"

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

The Accu-Sim Connie is in beta

Post by Jacques »

Nice find, Sebastian! Woo hoo!!

Oops! Correction- nice find Tailspin! Apologies for that, mate! :D
Last edited by Jacques on 17 Oct 2016, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

addman wrote:

Actually, yes! it kind of is the A2A version since most C-69 were just converted to L-049's after the war.

"Most of the C-69 aircraft built were later converted into civilian airliners under the new designation L-049."
Incorrect. The L-1049G (Super Connie) and L-049/C-69 have very little in common other than their name. When Lockheed stretched the Connie, they added the Turbo-Compound R3350, which came with it different exhausts and - exhaust flames. The L049 used an earlier version of the R3350 which had collector rings and thus, no flames.
Last edited by CAPFlyer on 18 Oct 2016, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

triflyman
Senior Airman

Post by triflyman »

Correct...very much a different engine.

addman
Staff Sergeant

Post by addman »

CAPFlyer wrote:
addman wrote:

Incorrect. The L-1049G (Super Connie) and L-047/C-69 have very little in common other than their name. When Lockheed stretched the Connie, they added the Turbo-Compound R3350, which came with it different exhausts and - exhaust flames. The L049 used an earlier version of the R3350 which had collector rings and thus, no flames.
Ok but I thought we were talking about the C-69 and the L049 here. It is a misunderstanding, I wasn't talking about the L1049 which I know is the stretched Connie.
Cheers!/Andreas

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

The video posted is of the L-1049G Super Constellation operated by the Historic Aviation Restoration Society in Australia, which is why I was making the clarification/correction. I did have a typo and said L-047 instead of L-049 (which I've corrected), but the point is still the same.

Stephan
Airman First Class

Post by Stephan »

Mastodon wrote:I spent 5 years as a radio operator on the E-3 Sentry. The Air Force used Connies as an AWACS platform before the 707 came online, and there's a static display of one near the E-3 Squadrons at Oklahoma's Tinker AFB. I always thought the EC-121 (the AF designation for their L1049 variant) was a much more attractive plane than the E-3 that replaced it.

Is there any chance of a model with the radar bumps on it? I'd love to have an AWACS with A2A's level of realism!

I saw this modified Connie on the Tarmac in Chino at Yanks Air Museum last Sunday!
Here's a picture.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2ed33s1a6cs9 ... .jpeg?dl=0
B377 / B-17 / Spitfire / P-51 Civilian / Piper J-3 Cub / C172 / C182 / Cherokee / Comanche / Avro 504k / F4U Corsair / BF109

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”