A BIG nono in cold weather!

Big, Heavy, Tough, and Beautiful
new reply
dacamp66
Senior Airman

A BIG nono in cold weather!

Post by dacamp66 »

a few days ago I decided to take the t-bolt up for a spin (PADU to PANC, RW weather) in fsx, got her started just fine despite near zero temps, then i noticed the carb temps were quite low and there were icing conditions present, so i tried to boost up the CAT a little.
step !. closed down the intercooler all the way, no response.
step 2. ditto oil cooler, ditto response
step 3, ditto cowl flaps, ditto response.
by this time i was getting (semi) desperate, so i goosed up the turbos...... BLAM!!!!! thudthudthudthudthud!
my (Imaginary) crew chief WAS NOT AMUSED and flung a monkey wrench at me then called in his cousin the MP and had him stand over me while they made me rebuild the turbo from scratch.
LOVE how this bird behaves and responds! i fly almost exclusively a2a products now; most of my other birds just sit and collect dust.
Keep up the Good Work!
Orville's law: when the altitude of the ground at your current location exceeds the altitude of your aircraft, you have most assuredly crashed.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: A BIG nono in cold weather!

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hehe I'm more than familar with that sound! Always a D'oh moment! :)

Good to hear your getting a good lot of fun out of the simulation.

Thanks,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Muggi
Airman Basic

Post by Muggi »

Hehe, did the same thing first time flying it in cold weather. Hey, works on the B-17! :lol:

I know the feeling, I have to admit accu-sim is the only thing keeping me in FSX/P3D.

Daube
Staff Sergeant

Post by Daube »

Could anybody remind me why the turbo blows up when you activate it when the engine is at idle ?
What makes it break, concretely ?

dacamp66
Senior Airman

Post by dacamp66 »

Don't know if this is correct or not, but my personal theory is that the turbo builds up too much back pressure from trying to get the air past the (nearly closed) butterfly valve in the carb and blows out one or more gaskets/seals due to too much pressure.
this (imo) fits in with the instructions in the manual that says, basically, don't touch that turbo lever until you have used up all of the available throttle (at full throttle butterfly valve is fully open, thus much less likelihood for back pressure to build up). just my two bits worth.
Orville's law: when the altitude of the ground at your current location exceeds the altitude of your aircraft, you have most assuredly crashed.

Daube
Staff Sergeant

Post by Daube »

That would make sense, indeed.

new reply

Return to “P-47 Razorback”