Cub J3 + Accusim: Mixed-Up Install

Born to fly
new reply
macca49
Airman Basic

Cub J3 + Accusim: Mixed-Up Install

Post by macca49 »

Hi, folks. I've just discovered that my recent J3 Cub + Accusim installation into FSX has apparently mixed with another aircraft's registration. Can anyone help?

DETAILS: I Tried to uninstall a demo aircraft (Just Flight's nice PA28 Piper Warrior) but Windows 10 returned a brief error message - it seems that a required DLL was missing. Just Flight's tech suggested that a Windows Update would have caused the problem, but when all other removal options led nowhere, I tried Revo Uninstaller. It immediately told me that the A2A Piper Cub J3 was installed at the same location as the Warrior Demo, and to proceed would be risky.

I have checked the folders for both aircraft in FSX's 'Sim Objects / Aircraft' directory, and both seem normal. As Revo's finding would very likely explain my inability to uninstall the Warrior Demo, I assume that the mixed installation is in Windows Registry, or within an FSX .CFG file or similar. I guess I'll need to achieve a clean re-install of my A2A J-3 Cub + Accusim, but I don't how to safely get there. As to how the error occurred, I haven't many clues. My FSX installation is not on C: Drive, but on a separate FS-dedicated HDD. I seem to remember that the J3 Cub installer expected a C: Drive location, and I had to specify the actual D: Drive FSX directory. But I am used to this, and still can't figure out how the installer could register the Cub over the top of another aircraft entry. The existence of the A2A J3 model folders within 'SimObjects / Aircraft' suggests that I directed the installation correctly - but perhaps not. I was not conscious of any errors at the time.

My system is FSX+Accel, i7 CPU, SSD boot drive, 16GB RAM, 2GB Nvidia GPU, 3TB WD Black HDD, Windows 10/64 bit.

I would be grateful for any advice on what could have caused this mix-up, and how to fix it. Thanks for reading! (Macca49).

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Cub J3 + Accusim: Mixed-Up Install

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Macca49,

Afraid I'm not familiar with Revo Uninstaller, but I wonder if its warning that the A2A Cub is installed in the same location as the Just Flight Warrior is simply because both are installed to the same directory. (i.e. your FSX directory.)

However, If you'd like to uninstall the A2A J-3 before you try forcing uninstall of the Just Flight product, you should be able to do so in the normal way using the Windows Add/Remove Program/App windows. Firstly uninstall the Accu-Sim pack for the Cub, and then uninstall the Cub itself. Finally, you can manually delete any leftover entries relating to the Cub in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\A2A".

Please let us know if you have any problems with this.

Thanks,
Nick

macca49
Airman Basic

Post by macca49 »

Nick, many thanks for your response and suggestions. Interesting ... I had not thought of the possibility that Revo (which, BTW, I understand to be one of the most effective and well-regarded uninstall tools) might be simply 'seeing' the two aircraft concerned in their common SimObjects / Aircraft folder. But if so, wouldn't it also report a conflict with the many other aircraft in that common location? I will try a few experimental uninstalls - of some of my more dispensable aircraft - to see whether this is a pattern. My limited past experience with Revo suggests that it is quite smart software, and is likely to be reporting a real, specific and unintended data confusion.

I suppose I should say here that I first attempted to uninstall the JF Warrior Demo by the familiar standard Windows procedures you mentioned - and thus struck the barrier. Quite possibly I would be stopped again in a similar manner if I were to try to uninstall the Accusim + Cub as you suggest. But let's imagine that, as it's likely that the A2A installation was 'last in', the Cub's required files are all present and correct and where they should be: so the uninstall could work. In that case, if I then remove any further J-3 Cub related entries from the (x86) FSX sub-folder you identified, would that truly complete the uninstall? Or are there entries to hunt down in the Windows 10 Registry, .CFG file or elswhere?

I note that in the 'Install Shield' directory on the C: Drive, there is a folder for the Warrior - but apparently not one for the Cub. Does the A2A installer normally create an Install Shield identity? If so, does it look as though the A2A J-3 Cub entries could actually be in the Warrior's Install Shield folder? I must admit that I know almost nothing about how Install Shield works; I've hitherto just assumed that it is used automatically by install / remove routines, without the owner having any control other than starting the process. Anyway, if A2A installers don't use the 'Install Shield' system, that's probably not where the problem lies.

I apologise for hitting you with this. No need for a lengthy reply - just a further brief hint or comment is sure to be helpful. And I really do appreciate your kind and thoughtful response.

Cheerio, Nick .. from Macca49, near YBCG, Oz.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

macca49 wrote:(...) if I then remove any further J-3 Cub related entries from the (x86) FSX sub-folder you identified, would that truly complete the uninstall? Or are there entries to hunt down in the Windows 10 Registry, .CFG file or elswhere?
Hi Macca - the only other A2A files which should be left behind are in "Documents\A2A\FSX". However, you'd be better of leaving these in place for now as they store the persistent 'state' of your Cub including its engine hours and so on.
macca49 wrote:I note that in the 'Install Shield' directory on the C: Drive, there is a folder for the Warrior - but apparently not one for the Cub. Does the A2A installer normally create an Install Shield identity?
No - InstallShield is a different installer product and the existing A2A Cub uses the (now discontinued) Wise Installer software. For what it's worth, we're in the process of releasing new product installers, starting with the P3Dv4 fleet.

Thanks,
Nick

macca49
Airman Basic

Post by macca49 »

Hi Nick, and thanks again re the J-3 Cub install problem. All understood; I will analyse the situation carefully in the light of your helpful information, then probably try the Cub uninstall first (in the hope that it will successfully reverse the process), then try to remove the JF Warrior Demo. Finally, I'll reinstall the Cub. If I learn anything of use I'll get back to you, but by all means close this thread if you wish. One way or another, I should make it all work. Then I can get back to flying the great little A2A J-3!

Thanks again for your help, Nick.

PS - I hope my intended removal of the JF Warrior Demo doesn't suggest I found it unsatisfactory. In fact, it's clearly a fine 'machine' - not quite as complete a package as my A2A C182, maybe, but I remain impressed. I just wouldn't want to give any readers the wrong impression. My FSX Aircraft collection had too many functionally limited demos and other redundant models installed and required a clean-up. That's all. I don't yet have the A2A Cherokee 180 ... but it probably won't be long!

Kind regards to you, Nick, and any Forum readers.

Macca49, Oz.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks Macca49 - let us know how you get on and welcome to the A2A forums by the way. :)

Cheers,
Nick

macca49
Airman Basic

Post by macca49 »

Nick, thanks for the welcome - I'm sure I'll learn lots here. I think I now have a better understanding of the possible 'fixes', and I will certainly let you know how it all ends up with both the Cub and the warrior.

Cheerio, Nick.

macca49, from YMUR near YBCG, Oz.

(NRN)

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”