Student Walkaround Cheat Sheet – Cessna 182

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
uncertifiedpilot
Airman

Student Walkaround Cheat Sheet – Cessna 182

Post by uncertifiedpilot »

Hi fellow pilots,

I made myself a "cheat sheet" for the cessna 182 walkaround (since I had no clue what to look for).

http://uncertifiedpilot.com/prepar3d-bl ... eat-sheet/

Happy flying,
Tim
Getting Instrument Rated in flight simulator: uncertifiedpilot.com
Watch me fly live on Twitch at twitch.tv/uncertifiedpilot
My A2A student checklists: C172 student checklist | C182 student checklist

Illi73
Staff Sergeant

Re: Student Walkaround Cheat Sheet – Cessna 182

Post by Illi73 »

Yep. I also didn't know what to look for at first... until I cheated a little and went to look at the graphics (which were somewhere in the plane's A2A folders) and checked for the differences. When it comes to the hinges, you can check also for the 'rounded iron locking pin' that you see on the right, it's also sometimes added on top of bolts to lock them into place. If that's gone, you can expect some trouble too. And in other situations, it's good to check that bolts are in place everywhere.

Nice one. :)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I like the little graphics you are making, however for the cheat sheet, remember that real pilots also don't know what wrong looks like until they see it, its not normally taught at PPL etc.

What you want to do is get a sheet with 100% correct what it SHOULD look like. Then use that as reference, as if it looks different you need to check it out, similar to the real world.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

uncertifiedpilot
Airman

Post by uncertifiedpilot »

Hi Lewis,

Good point :) Thanks for sharing!

Yet I do know of several CFIs who explicitly include familiarizing students with an airplane's most common structural failures/degrades in order to improve their chances of spotting them (e.g., deliberately contaminating fuel drain with water, showing them what degraded engine oil looks like, etc.).

Fundamentally, I wonder whether improved knowledge of 'faulty states' would really degrade a pilot's critical attitude toward inspection and only lead to some sort of narrow-oriented failure blindness. I know that medical training is entirely based on familiarizing medical students with a wide range of symptoms (if not, all) in order to improve the likelihood of them spotting these in patients (opposed to just showing them what a 'perfectly human being' looks like and teaching them to deduce the diseases/wounds). The same approach would surely be true for student pilots, I expect.

I guess any kind of proper interior/exterior inspection training should include both failure/intact cheat sheets, in addition to emphasizing on developing a student's critical attitude toward preflight inspection.
Getting Instrument Rated in flight simulator: uncertifiedpilot.com
Watch me fly live on Twitch at twitch.tv/uncertifiedpilot
My A2A student checklists: C172 student checklist | C182 student checklist

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Regarding visual inspections, it is as much 'a gift' as it is a learned skill. Some folks are seemingly naturally talented to pick out slightest discrepancies that others barely notice even when pointed to. Certain techniques can be learned, and knowing what typical findings look like is helpful, though much of that is beyond the scope of PFC.

Out of curiosity, what are those "common structural failures/degrades" that are taught to be spotted during PFC?

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”