Mesmerizing in-flight video - Spitfire Mk1 P9374

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Mesmerizing in-flight video - Spitfire Mk1 P9374

Post by Alan_A »

@Bomber_12th - thanks, good to know about what's behind your FSX look. I don't want to open up one of those discussions, so I'll just say that after two years exclusively on P3D, I've been experimenting with the FSX Steam Edition and am trying to figure out how to come close to P3D visuals. This helps.

Re: the sheen - I actually don't mind it that much, even if it's slightly exaggerated compared to the originals. There's a degree of verisimilitude involved, as opposed to authenticity - since contrast in FSX is lower than in the real world, and lighting can be a little flat, the sheen is a way of registering that this is a well kept-up airplane, not a hard-use service aircraft.

The only time I have trouble with modern paints is on some of those airshow Mustangs, where, to my eye at least, the extreme polish detracts a bit - it doesn't have the dignity of a working airplane. I've noticed that in a couple of stories of WWII vets encountering restored versions of their P-51s (whether lookalikes or, in the case of Upupa Epops, the actual aircraft), that one of the first things they say is something to the effect that "Mine was never that shiny."

But of course, it's all a matter of taste. The arguments are fun, but I'll never claim to be right...
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Mesmerizing in-flight video - Spitfire Mk1 P9374

Post by cflord »

Outstanding movie and screen shots of a very beautiful Spitfire! Thanks guys for posting.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :D

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”