Useful Figures distilled into one place.

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Here is a one stop shop of the most critical figures you need to know to operate the Spitfire successfully.

NOTE These limits were not put in place as suggestions. They were not put there as guidance for the general public...they were put in place by the RAF for the obedience of trained, professional military pilots. To get the best out of a fighter it must be operated at the edge..but that means that crossing that border is a lot more of a problem than over-revving you average C172 on descent.

Operating Maxima/Minima

SPITFIRE I with MERLIN III (with 100 Octane fuel, if 87 Octane do NOT exceed +6 1/4 lbs per sq in boost in any circumstances)

Radiator
On ground : Fully open
In air : at minimum drag (red triangle on mapbox lid) unless high power climb or emergency.
DO NOT intentionally exceed 120C Radiator temperature

Gear Down : 160mph
Flaps Down : 140mph
Landing Lamps down : 140mph

MINIMUM for opening up after start:

Radiator Temp 70C
Oil Temp 15C (Modern 40C)
Oil Pressure 45 lbs per sq in. (60 norm, may be much higher)
Fuel Pressure 2 ½ to 3 lbs per sq in

(Do not exceed 1200rpm,do not engine check, taxi or take off before these are reached)

MAXIMUM for Takeoff

Radiator Temp 100C
Oil Temp 90C
RPM 3000
Boost +12 lbs per sq in

MAXIMUM for Climbing (30 minutes)

Radiator Temp 120C
Oil Temp 90C
RPM 2600
Boost +6 1/4 lbs per sq in

MAXIMUM for Continuous Cruising

(Auto rich)
Radiator Temp 120C (recommend <100 C)
Oil Temp 90C
RPM 2600
Boost +4 1/2 lbs per sq in

(Auto lean)
Oil Temp 90C
RPM 2600
Boost +2 1/2 lbs per sq in

EMERGENCY

Min Oil Pressure 30 lbs per sq in
Max Rad Temp 135C
Max Oil Temp 105C

If you see any of these, VERY bad things are imminent. These are the figures beyond which no matter what you do,
you have very little chance of saving the engine. You should already be WAY into remedial action…..if not, please
do not forget to take your mic-tel socket out before trying to jump, or you’ll break your stupid neck!!!

==========================================================================================================================================================================

SPITFIRE II or IIB with MERLIN XII (with 100 Octane fuel, if 87 Octane do NOT exceed +9 lbs per sq in boost in any circumstances)

Radiator
On ground : Fully open
In air : at minimum drag (red triangle on mapbox lid) unless high power climb or emergency.
DO NOT intentionally exceed 120C Radiator temperature

Gear Down : 160mph
Flaps Down : 140mph
Landing Lamps down : 140mph

MINIMUM for opening up after start:

Radiator Temp 60C
Oil Temp 15C (Modern 40C)
Oil Pressure 45 lbs per sq in. (60 norm, may be much higher)
Fuel Pressure 2 ½ to 3 lbs per sq in

(Do not exceed 1200rpm,do not engine check, taxi or take off before these are reached)

MAXIMUM for Takeoff

Radiator Temp 100C
Oil Temp 90C
RPM 3000
Boost +12 lbs per sq in

MAXIMUM for Climbing (30 minutes)

Radiator Temp 120C
Oil Temp 90C
RPM 2850
Boost +9 lbs per sq in

MAXIMUM for Continuous Cruising

(Auto rich)
Oil Temp 90C
RPM 2650
Boost +7 lbs per sq in

(Auto lean)
Oil Temp 90C
RPM 2650
Boost +3 3/4 lbs per sq in

EMERGENCY

Min Oil Pressure 30 lbs per sq in
Max Rad Temp 135C
Max Oil Temp 105C

If you see any of these, VERY bad things are imminent. These are the figures beyond which no matter what you do,
you have very little chance of saving the engine. You should already be WAY into remedial action…..if not, please
do not forget to take your mic-tel socket out before trying to jump, or you’ll break your stupid neck!!!

(EDIT..Modern Oil Temp limits added.)
Last edited by Killratio on 13 Jun 2018, 03:45, edited 3 times in total.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Re: Useful Figures distilled into one place.

Post by Killratio »

The Spitfire is a great pleasure and fairly easy to fly. Whilst it may seem "impossible" to control temps at first, after a while you will be flying it with only a casual (if interested) glance at the temperature gauges as part of your instrument scan. If you want to relax and enjoy flying the Spitfire (as opposed to fighting the Merlin all the way) I have two suggestions for you:

1. Learn the above figures for the aircraft you fly most. If you fly BOTH I and II and want a "short cut"...learn the Spitfire I figures, as they are the most demanding...they will never send you wrong if you use them in the II.

2. Work out a throttle, rpm and speed setting that you like to cruise at (and which keeps you cool enough) and use it. Why cruise at 200 mph one day, 240 the next and 220 the next? Just pick one and use it all the time...it will significantly reduce your workload and increase your enjoyment.

regards

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Very handy indeed. Thanks for posting.

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Thanks, KR! Saved to a text file. I never intended to buy this aircraft, but reading your comments about it the last few months changed my mind. I think I'm gonna love it.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

patful wrote:Thanks, KR! Saved to a text file. I never intended to buy this aircraft, but reading your comments about it the last few months changed my mind. I think I'm gonna love it.
No worries guys...It is my pleasure. I just want to see as many people as possible get enjoyment out of mastering the old girl!

Patful..she is something special (although I am biased) and still easily the best cockpit I have seen in FSX or P3D! It just drags you in.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Very useful D. Thanks.

As you say, once you get familiar with her, then the magic happens. You can throw her all over the sky.

Steve.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Darryl,

Could you clarify something for me? Spitfire I, Merlin III with 87 Octane, would you still be okay on takeoff only with the boost at +12, or does the takeoff regime also fall under the "not more than +6 1/4 any circumstances"? Or is the +12 an accepted maximum for very short duration?

edit-- Sorry, that was me being obtuse again. I got it sorted!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Hi Jacques,

Yes, the takeoff boost IS limited to 6 1/4 with 87 Octane Fuel.

It still eludes me as to exactly how the 12lbs takeoff boost was achieved initially. I think the throttle Quadrant must have been altered on the Spitfire I to add a gate but have never found proof of that.

P9374 and N3200 have both been rebuilt without gates in the throttle. They were both pre 100 octane being in general use...

D

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Good "distillation" Darryl! :mrgreen: Very useful stuff for Spit owners! :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Steve and Will,

My pleasure.

Luckily the release of the Spitfire coincides with a slower time at work for me, so I will be hanging around the forums to answer any questions on a regular basis (except I am, of course, from "Upside Down Land", so it may take a few hours!).

New features added that I can think of off hand...not complete and subject to my aging and alcohol wracked memory... ;)

1. Cockpit lights adjustable and movable as per the real ones.

2. Flight dynamics brought right up to latest Accusim standards

3. All the dynamic lighting, shadows etc as per P3D 4.

4. Stunningly accurate new pilot by Michal with B Helmet, D Mask, Mk III goggles, Service Dress and beautiful pre battle of Britain green 32 Pattern Mae West.

5. Pneumatic pump weakened to make it more like an early pump as opposed to the (more effective) pump tested on the MkIXs. Be careful with excessive brake use, particularly after a missed approach and multiple flap uses.

6. Rear View Mirror added.

Fixes
1. Starting Magneto reversed to match normal magnetos (this was only evident after we got detailed info on P9374 and has been on my wish list for a while)

2. Primer now (correctly) feeds again to the engine without fuelcocks on (as per original release but got lost somewhere along the line)

3. A couple of cosmetic adjustments to the panel and small corrections to placards/instruments/switches.

4. Tweaked up the way the Emergency Undercarriage bottle works.

As I said, completely from memory and, frankly, over six and a half years of continuous flying/testing, the whole lot blurs a bit :)

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

Still being on FSX:SE and I think will stay there.

Will these changes be transfered to the FSX version in an future update?!

Regards
Jens
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

The ones that can be, should be Jens, in due course. No timeline. I'm not sure when the next general update will be...perhaps after the Bonanza has time to settle after release?

regards

Darryl

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

Thanks Darryl, looking forward to it.

In between, will take the Spit up for a ride. Current temperatures here in Germany around 30°C. Let's see, how fast it'll boil...
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”