A2A SpitfireI/II WIP skins

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Tom_Weiss
Technical Sergeant

A2A SpitfireI/II WIP skins

Post by Tom_Weiss »

I've reworked my several years old A2A Spitfire template - going to add the weathering next

alehead
Staff Sergeant

Re: A2A SpitfireI/II WIP skins

Post by alehead »

Excellent Tom, I always loved your work on the Spitfire. Looking forward to seeing how the final textures will look :)

A
Andrew
i5 8600K @ 5.0GHz (Der8auer delidded) on air (NH-D15), ASUS MAXIMUS X Hero, 16Gb RAM
EVGA GTX1070Ti, Win10Pro on Samsung M2 500Gb SSD, P3D V4 on 850 EVO 1Tb
Accusim (P3D): T6/Comanche/Cherokee/Spitfire/P51D Mustang (Civ)/V-Tail Bonanza

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Fantastic news Tom, I flew my FSX Spit with one of your skins. Great work and thanks for sharing with us all.

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

Tom_Weiss
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tom_Weiss »

:)

I've added a base weathering layer to start the weathering and set the colors

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

Looks great Tom, look forward to the paints

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Lookin' good!

Now that I finally have my own Spitfire, I'd like to know more about the color schemes used on Spitfires, especially the Mk I and Mk II variants. When did they come out with the yellow leading edge? Were the Mk I and Mk II variants around long enough to actually have invasion stripes?

Seeya
ATB

Tom_Weiss
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tom_Weiss »

to tell you the truth - I never quite understood the logic behind RAF WWII markings :D

WIP

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Tom, I hope you will find the following helpful.

Colours and camouflage patterns on RAF fighters in WW2 in Europe tended to fall into 2 basic types. But there are complications. Of course!! The early war years saw RAF fighters painted in a dark green/dark earth disruptive pattern with "sky" type S undersides. However, at first in 1938 after the Munich crisis when the dark green/dark earth colours were first applied, the undersides were often natural metal. During early fighting in the Battle of France, undersides were painted half black/half white to aid aircraft recognition, both in the air and as an aid to prevent losses from British ground defences. The port side was black, and the starbord side was painted white. Towards the end of that campaign, most planes had sky type S undersides with an 18 inch band around the rear fuselage in sky, but often the wings would be left black/white. It varied from squadron to squadron and often depended on how orders were interpreted. There were also A and B schemes, but basically, the B scheme was simply a mirror image of the A scheme. Squadron code letters were either in Sky type S or field grey. Lastly, Supermarine's idea of Sky type S was a noticably more blue than than the same colour from other manufacturers. All paint edges were hard with the patterns being applied with rubber or canvas masked placed appropriately. Here's a photo of a model I built some years back of a Hurricane in early war B scheme.

By 1941, the RAF went on the offensive, striking out into Europe. It was quickly realised that the green/earth colours made the planes stand out during sea crossings and often against the different scenery in Europe, so in August 1941, orders went out both to aircraft manufacturers change from dark earth to dark sea grey and paint the undersides in light sea grey. The Sky type S band was retained and the outer wing leading edges were to be painted yellow (a chrome yellow shade) to aid in aircraft recognition during head on attack. Squadron codes were almost universally painted in Sky type S. The change over took some months as manufacturers used up old paint stocks and it also took some time for planes in service to be repainted, which happened as paint stocks arrived and ground crews had time. These colours lasted into the post war years, and from 1944 as allied aerial supremacy increased, planes were often polished into a gloss finish to increase speed. Here's a photo of another older build of mine, this time a Spitfire in the S scheme.

Throughout the war, in all theatres, gun ports were covered after rearming in a square of cloth held in place with a dollop of red dope. Cannons barrels were also covered with a small "sock" similarly doped.

Of course there were variations to all of this so research is vital to the subject being painted. In some instances, medium sea grey was used in place of dark sea grey, but that is just one variation. Mosquitos were usually painted in only 2 colours:- dark green/medium sea grey on top, and medium sea grey underneath, but usually they had the Sky type S band around the rear fuselage. Prop spinners were usually either Sky type S or black, but red was also very common. Yellow spinners were very uncommon, because of the possibility of the plane being confused for a yellow nosed Hun. Some pilots had the spinner on their plane painted individually, as on the Hurricane example above flown by Bob Tuck, but in early 1945, spinners were ordered to be painted black. This order, however, wasn't always adhered to.

Squadrons serving overseas had their planes painted in a desert camouflage. Initially, planes arrived in standard temperate zone early war scheme and over painted the dark green locally in a colour called middle stone which was a light brown or sandy brown colour. This soon became the standard hot zone scheme and was supplied from England in these colours. Undersides were often left in Sky type S but this quickly became painted in Azure blue when supplied from England. The fuselage band disappeared quickly and wing leading edges were rarely painted yellow. Squadron codes were usually field grey or dull red. Planes supplied to Malta were usually painted in this desert scheme but it once again stood out too much over the sea, and most planes were painted differently with anything available. Often, the planes were painted on the carriers taking the to Malta and since these carriers were often American, US intermediate blue was used either completely repainting the top sides of the plane, or just the middle stone areas. This happened only at squadron level and wasn't sanctioned by officialdom. Spitfire V's supplied to the RAAF in Australia in 1943 also arrived painted in standard RAF desert colours, but were repainted before issuing to squadrons for the same reason as the Malta planes. In Australia, the colours were darker than RAF colours and these planes were usually painted in jungle green and dark brown, but again using the same disruptive pattern as the RAF. RAAF Spitfire VIII's were supplied in standard RAF temperate green/grey, but the green was oversprayed in a deep jungle green, but sometimes there were variations.

If I may offer a little criticism, here, I think your camouflage patterns are little simplistic, and could use a few more "squiggles and curves". Also, the red square at the base of the cannon fairings should be removed as this is a gun port cover patch as mentioned earlier. Other than that, I think you've pretty much got it. I like your weathering on the dark green/dark earth machine. Used, but not overdone. :D

Hope this helps,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Tom_Weiss
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tom_Weiss »

unfortunately, that is not how they work when you have to weather a skin like I do

in P3D
in Il-2
in DCS

all of them have the same color in the template

some of the screenshots were taken under HDR , that changes color

some have specular alpha, others don't and in case of DCS, Deferred Shading

colors have to change according to weathering :

sun bleaches the colors

dirt+oil darkens the colors

the base color I use is the one has to be one that can take all the weathering and still look good in the end

and there is another effect, color perception - when you mix the colors they tend to blend, so grey + green give a blue effect

the brown I like use, if used alone looks terrible, but mixed with green looks great.

Tom_Weiss
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tom_Weiss »

WIP

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Very nice!

A very famous Spitfire that one.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Tom_Weiss
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tom_Weiss »

Tom_Weiss
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tom_Weiss »

WIP

a

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”