Engine failure and emergency procedure?

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
KarelPatch
Airman

Engine failure and emergency procedure?

Post by KarelPatch »

So, I took the Mkii for a long flight and I discovered that I didn’t bring enough fuel. So I decided to reroute to the nearest airfield and proceeded to a rather steep descent. As I was approaching the runway at very high speed, I did an overhead approach. While I was on downwind, already slowed down (about 180mph I think) and ready to turn base, I ran out of fuel. I immediately pushed the nose down in order to keep some speed, lowered the flaps (big mistake, right?) and aimed for the runway. But it was impossible to keep speed and I crashed in front of the runway.

I couldn’t find any emergency procedure. I have the feeling that the Spitfire without engine will drop like a rock. What should have I done - except not lowering flaps?

Also, unrelated question: I did a 1hr flight before that. Was very careful to keep speed at all time and not to overheat. I cruised at 8000ft with around +2.5 boost, weak mixture and 1800rpm. I found that oil pressure was rather low during cruise (30-35 psi). How do you increase oil pressure in this case? Higher rpm?
Then I used full mixture, +2 boost and 2600rpm for descent. Well.. I think I may have used negative boost for a few seconds and maybe a few times, because I’m used to throttling down.
When landed I saw that the crankshaft was dead and that there were white metal particles in oil filter. What could be the reason? The 30 psi oil pressure or the lack of throttle a few times during descent?

Thanks a lot!

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: Engine failure and emergency procedure?

Post by Killratio »

Hi Karel, compliments of the Season.

Ok, fuel exhaustion. You recognised the problem early enough to divert to another airfield, so well done there!

Flaps, as you realised, are a BIG problem. On the Spitfire they add very little lift, so little as to be worthless. What they DO is act as an air brake. Great to use to slow down for a landing but no use at all for slow flight! Even in a normal landing, flaps don't go down until established on short final.

So, leaving flaps and undercarriage UP, trim for a glide speed of 100mph ideally. The glide is quite flat. Lower undercarriage IF landing on a runway or good surface. If in doubt about surface, ALWAYS land with undercarriage up. Surprisingly little damage results and definitely preferable to turning over.

Also, in those cases, where you have time, fuel and electrics all off. It helps to prevent post crash fire turning you into a crispy critter.

One other small tip. You said you were at about 180mph when the engine quit? The very first thing I would do in that case is to put the nose up to a good climb attitude and swap a lot of that speed for height!! That alone may just have got you to the threshold even if you lowered the flaps after. Glide speed is 100mph, so you could have swapped 80mph for altitude at a good climb angle. That may have bought you 200-300 feet or maybe more. That is gold in an emergency. Never trade altitude for speed until you have to. Even keeping level until your speed got down to 100mph instead of pushing down the nose would have preserved some precious height.

Engine Oil. My guess is an oil leak (assuming you checked and topped up oil before the flight?) or oil pump problem. Note, EMERGENCY minimum oil pressure is 45lbs sq in, so you were 1/3 below that. Engine failure is guaranteed under those circumstances, in short order. Your descent profile likely had nothing to do with it as long as you kept the throttle at least 1/3 open. But even if you didn't, the leak is what killed you.

Overall, well done on the re-route and also on noticing the low oil press.

regards
Darryl
Last edited by Killratio on 12 Mar 2019, 02:30, edited 1 time in total.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

KarelPatch
Airman

Post by KarelPatch »

Thank you for these precious informations!

About the oil pressure, it’s weird because I had done a complete overhaul in the hangar before the flight. Also I didn’t have leaks when I checked in the hangar after landing.
I noticed that the pressure went to around 40-45 when I added some power and rpm for descent. It’s still low...
I forgot what is supposed to be the pressure when warming before take off?

Thanks a lot, you rock.
And season’s greetings!

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

My pleasure!

Pressure on start up should be at least 60 lbs per sq in Karel. In cold weather it could be up to 150 or more!

D
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”