No real sound from Spit wheels on runway....?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: No real sound from Spit wheels on runway....?

Post by Killratio »

Sebastian..not sure, I will check into it. I'm not near my testing sim computer tonight...does it happen when Cold and Dark is selected from F3??

It shouldn't......

Let me know.

Bill,

No problems. I have dozens of Roos about 1000 yards from where I live. I did have a pet Drop Bear but by the time he was 18 months he was too vicious and I had to have him put down.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Killratio wrote:Sebastian..not sure, I will check into it. I'm not near my testing sim computer tonight...does it happen when Cold and Dark is selected from F3??

It shouldn't......

Let me know.
Yes I'm pretty sure. I'm operating off of memory here too but I'm almost 100% sure that if C&D is selected under Shift+3 you get the prop in full coarse. I'll have to check that though.

@Bill: Lefthanders will have to fly the Spitfire with their right hand too since the throttle stays where it is :wink: For me it's always been a gut feeling thing. In gliding I always was better in turning left instead of right. So I just preferred turning left because is was easier. I think it's that kind of "comfort zone" thing.

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Re left right...it is actually a natural instinct for a right hander to turn to the left when surprised or when required to maintain some sort of control...the reason is that it preserves full range of motion for the dominant hand. Try turning right to catch a ball in your right hand....
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Ok Sebastian, leave it with me!

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

Left/right - fascinating stuff eh? But the throttle... yeahhh... a quite relevant point :oops: . (Too focussed just on the stick :| ).

I should've realised that the 'SPIT PILOT APPLICATION FORM' wouldn't have had the question:
"Are you left or right-handed? (Just so that we can get you the right plane.)"
:lol:
A2A Spitfire, A2A Cherokee
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Killratio wrote:Re left right...it is actually a natural instinct for a right hander to turn to the left when surprised or when required to maintain some sort of control...the reason is that it preserves full range of motion for the dominant hand. Try turning right to catch a ball in your right hand....
Ok. That's interesting. Never looked at it this way. I just noticed that once I started flying motorplanes I had a hard time flying with the left hand and operating the throttle with the right. It took some time getting used to it. I'm right handed btw.

Oh and thank you for looking into the propeller C&D "issue"

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

BILL1949 wrote:I should've realised that the 'SPIT PILOT APPLICATION FORM' wouldn't have had the question:
"Are you left or right-handed? (Just so that we can get you the right plane.)"
:lol:
Hehe. You didn't fill out that form when registering to the A2A store :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Good stuff guys!

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Killratio wrote:Ok Sebastian, leave it with me!
Hi Darryl,

I got around to check it again. On both the MKI (with the variable pitch propeller) and the MKII with the constant speed propeller the props are in full coarse when Cold&Dark is selected. It doesn't bother me but what's the reason?

Happy flying.

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

Did I read somewhere that in the MkI you do start-up in coarse, then move to fine...? (I've probably that remembered wrongly...)
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Might be. I'd have to consult the manual for that. I usually start in coarse and once the Merlin has fired up I move it to fine. For the MKII on the other hand I move the prop lever to fine before I start the engine. Not sure why but I seem to remember that's the way it's supposed to be done.

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

OK guys - I’m best to be fairly ‘static’ at the moment – nursing a very sneezy & very itchy nose (due to my sensitivity to the wood-dust as generated from my woodturning activities, despite my dust respirator :() – so, sitting fairly ‘statically’ at my ‘pooter, I figured you’d had a long enough break….

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWMq2j ... G0J2PftkYA

2 more attempts at R&B a few days ago – still not right, but working on it…
Still not yet attempting ‘management’ of trim or radiator.
(Finding it difficult to remember to keep showing inst panel….. – but I just realised that the data at top of screen is giving alt anyway.)

Apologies for sometimes erratic screen due to head-tracking.

My obs:
1st ‘Run’:
- Not very straight.
- Looks a bit erratic to me, at pull-up.
1st landing:
- Lost alt too quickly, so too low on finals – had to climb a little – & didn’t lower flaps :|
- ~90mph over threshold
- Not centring on runway for ‘GO’ after ‘TOUCH’ (last-second decision to go again)
- After take-off, forgot to raise gear until on downwind…. :roll:

2nd ‘Run’:
- On pull-up, sufficient ‘G’ to cause brief slight darkening of sight…

2nd landing:
- Slightly less than 90mph @ threshold
- Bit of a heavy touchdown…

Overall
- I seem to need plenty of revs to get rolling – even on tarmac (….?).
- Temps OK throughout (I think)
- I didn’t run @ higher revs to clear plugs before shutting down
- Was going to set prop pitch to coarse, then remembered I should leave it fine – but I just noticed that I left it slightly off fine.

Positives:
- Nice music on radio while making movie…

EDIT - Since the above, I've now compiled extracts from my 1 hr Cherokee lesson & uploaded...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWMq2j ... G0J2PftkYA
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hi Bill,

Great update! Thanks for that.

The first R&B was well... Interesting :wink: :lol: you and the plane both walked a way from it so that's good. Sorry I'm just teasing you of course! You basically pointed everything out already that I would have pointed out too.

(To low on final - those trees are awefully big :shock: :wink: )

But also you seem to be stepping on your brakes a lot in flight. I can here the pneumatic system and also the FSX "Brake" lights up in the bottom left of the screen. Maybe you need to adjust your brake a is sensitivity!? It could be dangerous for the Spit to touch down with the brakes on (nose over)!

The second run was a lot better. A little high on the G-force at er pulling up maybe. Careful because you don't want to pass out or enter an accelerated stall at that altitude and attitude! Other than that it was pretty sweet. Even the curved final approach was there! Touch down a bit hard but ok.

Nicely done!

PS: Nice video of your flying lesson in the Cherokee. That sure looked like fun!

Thanks for sharing!

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

Many thanks again for your support Sebastian.

Brakes, yeah... I don't know what's going on there. I guess it must be something to do with the brake potentiometers in my pedals, but I do already have quite significant dead-zones set for my brakes in FSX - & I've re-calibrated numerous times. Even with feet off rudder pedals I hear the pneumatics going occasionally, despite the dead-zones (...?). I've had this prob for quite a while - & I even mentioned it in a vid I did in my Cherokee - the run-up is difficult if your parking brake is randomly coming off due to falsely 'sensed' brake pedal movement. Maybe changing the pots for better quality will cure it - I'll have to look into that.
Also wondering if this is why I have to give it quite some revs to get rolling (whether on grass or tarmac) - or (listening to my revs when trying to taxi) do you also have to apply the same (high) revs to get rolling....?

Is my high-G is due to too much speed on the 'Run', or simply due to pulling up too hard (so did I take Darryl's mention of 'high G turn' too far...?). What's the ideal speed & alt for the 'Run'?

I think I'm over-reacting with the stick at landing, so sometimes this will cause a bump - I often get very smooth landings too (pity I didn't for these attempts... :| - maybe 'cos I was conscious of recording...)

Yeah - the lesson was 8) 8) 8) !!

I want do same in a Spit - thing is, I want to do it in a Spit with just ONE seat :wink: .

TTFN
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hi,

Concerning the brakes. Are you sure there is no conflicting key/axis assignment? Did you check if maybe the rudder axis is also assigned as brakes? Maybe that's the reason. I'll have to check how much power I have to use to get going. But if your brakes are constantly applying then yes. You'll need some power.

The G-load will be displayed by FSX in the upper left corner of the screen if you hit shift+z. I think 3G-4G in that altitude and attitude is ok.

Small corrections is key once the approach is stable. If you start using large control inputs it'll be hard to get the plane stable again.

I'd love to fly a Spitfire in RL too but I guess that's not gonna happen considering the operating costs of one of those birds (not even considering my skill level :wink: )

Happy flying

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

Thank you Sebastian - I'll re-visit the possibility of conflicting assignments.

Reckon I'd only get such a chance in a Spit if I was to sell my soul to the devil.....:twisted: hmmmm... wonder if that's worth a try..... :roll: :lol:
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”