Canopy doesn't cover screens - Matrox Triplehead

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Shousa
Senior Airman

Re: Canopy doesn't cover screens - Matrox Triplehead

Post by Shousa »

Hey bigjuicyspider.....for me it works great "as a middle option" - you effectively have made the view the same which I believe would offer no benefit and as the aspect=false it does not surprise me you have blurries due to stretching.

In plain english you should use this FOVHack to reduce the amount you see on your 3 screens from what you see with the WideViewAspect = True. Note also I have a 4320 by 900 resolution which is why I have the "canopy" problem. I am not sure of any advantage if you have a non-widescreen resolution eg 3840 by 1024
(btw not "shouting" just I tend to waffle on and the key message may be lost)

Another way of saying why I use it is:
1) with WideViewAspect = True the FOV is BIG (you can see a lot on your 3 screens)
2) with WideViewAspect = False and no hack used at all the FOV is SMALL (you cannot see much)
3) Use the FOVhack to get a MIDDLE FOV with WideViewAspect = False (you can see a MIDDLE amount)

FOV = field of view.

Lets say the range of views are like this - each of these BOXES made of these lines ------------- represents the amount you can see on your 3 screens.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Option 1 - with wide=true - cannot make it small enough
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------
Option 2 - with wide=false - not big enough
---------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------
FOVHack - with wide=false and fovhack - middle range is best
---------------------------------------------------------------

This is for all the reasons listed +++for reference+++ below.

My trackir I have set to enable up and down from smaller movements to compensate.

For me this rocks!

Also because I have reduced the FOV I get obviously better performance.

+++++++++++++ For reference ++++++++++++++++++++

Option 1
- WideViewAspect = True
- Zoom looks good around 1.0
- textures crisper (according to orbx and I agree)
- don't see buildings and parked cars et al popping into existence almost at all
- disadvantages - edge distortion (see video in earlier post above) and for the Spitfire the canopy glass does not cover your view (yes even looking forward straight)

Option 2
- WideViewAspect = False
- Zoom needs to be 0.30 but this maximum figure is just not enough
- FOV not much advantage considering I have 3 monitors, more like 1.5 or something
- height is too small even with trackir to see VC properly, need to bend the head way down where then trackir will even lose track or feel uncomfortable so need to turn it off a lot more and use the joystick
- textures less crisp
- autogen popping into existence everywhere all the time
- advantage - edge distortion basically gone and cockpit glass issue gone.

The difference between these 2 options is like night and day with no viable "middle" option

(btw Zooming in using option 1 is not substantially different in any way basically the same)

Using the hack you get the middle option
- as you zoom out you start to get the edge distortion, very very tiny effect at first, hard to even notice
- as you zoom out autogen stops popping into existence so much et al - you get the idea from the info above
- for me a "slight" change was all I needed

bigjuicyspider
Master Sergeant

Post by bigjuicyspider »

Thanks Shousa, that is a very informative analysis. I will revisit this issue and play around with it. My primary issue, the last time I tried it, was that the AI traffic was loading up Mip textures at a very close distance, but if I can arrive at an optimal solution, as you have, this new tool might be something I will incorporate into my way of doing things. Although I'm not experiencing problems with Canopies not covering the entire FOV, I would certainly love something that minimizes distortion, minimizes AutoGen popping, and possibly even gives me a few FPS as well. I agree that I don't need the gigantic FOV that I'm currently using, and perhaps it is even a little bit unrealistic. I will look into it further. Thanks.
1)i7 980x 4.35 ghz, gtx 470s SLI, Matrox th2go, Creative x-fi
2)i7 2600k, Gigabyte z68x, gtx 285s sli

MäxliBäxli
Airman Basic

Post by MäxliBäxli »

@ Shousa:

Thank you for your detailled explanation of the FOV Hack.

I am also using a TH2Go Setup for my FSX (Display is set to 4800x900), WideAspectRatio=False and Zoom 0.30.

So i wanted to try the FOV Hack.

My Problem: When i start the programm i change the sliders and click on Enable...but nothing changes at all.

I run FSX Professional with SP2 on Win 7 64 Home Premium...

I tried different things (starting the tool with Admin rights, without, before FSX, after FSX and so on), but i can´t get the programm to change the FOV in FSX...

Does anybody have an idea what else i can try to get the programm work properly (or how i can go below Zoom 0.30 on Wide=False)

Thank you so much,
Markus

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”