Oxygen System Spitfire IIB

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Oxygen System Spitfire IIB

Post by Norforce »

Took the Spit IIB up for a flight yesterday with 2 other flyers flying the MKI's and found that since the core update 1.4 the oxygen system is not working
Sht+4 tank full ,mask is on dialed in Altitude but was passing out, put the dial around to Emergency and the tank did not empty stayed on 100% for the hour long flight
Removed the Accu-Sim SpitfireIIbLog.dat restarted FSX still will not empty the tank .
Any body else had this problem
Doing more test now
Last edited by Norforce on 24 Jun 2012, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
Ron
B-17 AIRFRAME 710 HRS PLUS AND CLIMBING
ImageImageImageImage

GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 MB, INTEL I7 950, 12GB DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64, GIGABYTE SUPER OVER CLOCK GTX 560 TI 1GB GGDDR5 1000Mz, CORSAIR 850W PS, NOCTUA NH-D14,
TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Re: Oxygen System Spitfire IIB

Post by CodyValkyrie »

You did not forget about the oxygen valve did you? You must put the mask on, turn on the oxygen valve then set the height. The valve is located next to the mask line on the right side of the cockpit.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

No Cody..this was all done. The Mk II would not even deplete oxy when on "emergency " and Ron couldn't fly above 10,000 at all.

D
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Norforce »

CodyValkyrie & Killratio
Thanks both of you, It still would not work so I deleted the SpitfireIIbLog.dat again this seemed to have fixed the problem Gremlins lol
Ron
ImageImageImageImage

GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 MB, INTEL I7 950, 12GB DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64, GIGABYTE SUPER OVER CLOCK GTX 560 TI 1GB GGDDR5 1000Mz, CORSAIR 850W PS, NOCTUA NH-D14,
TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

How odd....
ImageImage
ImageImage

Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Norforce »

Yes that's what I thought as I have never had any problems with the A2A aircraft
Ron
ImageImageImageImage

TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Ron,

We'll have to try the climb test again then...

D
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

CodyValkyrie wrote:How odd....
Remember, you are talking to Norforce here :)

Paul

FHS
Airman First Class

Post by FHS »

Hi folks

I still experience the oxigen problem with the spit. Climbing over 28k feet, the pilot passes out even with "oxygen valve 100%", "oxygen mask on". It is of note that in the "Shift-4" panel a constant 100% fill state of the oxigen tank is displayed. No change there. I'm currently using Accusim v.1.5.1 and the Spit with the accusim pack. This behaviour was through all versions of accusim v.1.3 to the current v.1.5.1.

No-one else has this behaviour? Otherwise the plane works like a charm (except that you can pull the throttle throgh the gate without having boost cut-out depressed).

It is also of note that when the pilot passes out and the screen turns black, the controls stay frozen in this position, even though it might create considerable strain on the pilot to maintain this stick position. So, you notice that even with oxigen you're about to pass out (FOV starts to "pump") and you push the stick forward towards "more air", you find yourself doing outside loops until contact with the menu (or ground) puts an end to it. Shouldn't the stick move back to a centred position (of course with regards to the current trimming)?

This passing out with oxygen does not happen with the p-51 (accusim) or the p-40 accusim (all WoP 3 planes.) It does not happen in the cub (Winngs of silver, accusim) albeit the engine chockes if you set the poor thing @ 30k altitude. But I guess this is as intended :)

Cheers,
Florian

FHS
Airman First Class

Post by FHS »

I just did some climbing tests and 28k altitude seems to be a limit for the P-40 pilot as well. The P-40 AVG Pilot would pass out, even with oxigen valve fully opened (set to 35k), when I changed to the other variants, the pilot could breathe. With the Spit, above 27k feet the pilot passes out. So it's impossible to fly over the top of mount Everest in the Spit. In any version of the A2A Spit.

Interestingly enough, with the P-51 it's really not so much of an issue, as you also have an indicator of the oxigen flow as the pilot os breathing. The civ p-51 works even better. Are there really different behaviours modeled? Is the english oxigen mask leaking like a an original E-Type Jag is leaking oil? I suppose they could take even the baby Spit up to 30k back then?

Or am I the only one experiencing this issue? Can anyone take the Spit above 28k?

Cheers,
Florian

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

Hi Florian-

I read your post and am currently doing a test in my Spitfire for you. I've just been flying at 30k feet over Mt McKinley and Denali National Park with no problems (Mk.1a). I've held this altitude for about half an hour as well. When you put on your oxygen mask did you also turn on the master valve? In addition to that you need to select your altitude on the gauge dial (I believe +/- 5k is ok).

When I land I'm gonna take up the P-40 AVG to test also.

While it is a last resort, deleting your .dat file may well fix the problem- it has worked for me before (different issue), but you will lose your hours.

Joe
Joe

FHS
Airman First Class

Post by FHS »

Hi Joe

In the Spit, the master valve helps and was sure open; however not the oxygen flow valve at the dashboard next to the dials. Changing planes in mid-air (yeah, you can do here! :lol: ) leaves that one closed when changing back form the P-51 with the automatic system. Silly of me. P-40 it works with the flow control valve open (better +5k). I could reproduce the hypoxia when changing from anothe plane which is a little too unrealistic to call it a bug I guess. ;)
I'm surprised however that I could manage to stay up to ~26k with the flow control valve closed. I guess this kept me from checking. I mean, in real life even in a sailplane cicling a great thermal, without bringing oxygen I'd stop it at 12k to not risk being sorry after...

But then again, all seems the way it should be. So the I go on having more fun with your planes. can't wait for you releasing the jets!

Cheers & thanks!!
Florian

JoeS475 wrote:Hi Florian-

I read your post and am currently doing a test in my Spitfire for you. I've just been flying at 30k feet over Mt McKinley and Denali National Park with no problems (Mk.1a). I've held this altitude for about half an hour as well. When you put on your oxygen mask did you also turn on the master valve? In addition to that you need to select your altitude on the gauge dial (I believe +/- 5k is ok).

When I land I'm gonna take up the P-40 AVG to test also.

While it is a last resort, deleting your .dat file may well fix the problem- it has worked for me before (different issue), but you will lose your hours.

Joe

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”