Coolant Temp - overheating on approach?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
robains
Staff Sergeant

Post by robains »

Having a strange issue with P3D V4.2 and coolant temps. All is fine on the ground and I don't hang around (up in the air in less than 10 mins per manual) and the radiator flap is full open all the way to cruise alt (in my case this was 8000 FT with 2800 rpm or less, no boost). Coolant temp is fine for my entire cruise, but as soon as I start my approach to EGTE I notice engine coolant temps start going up and up ... I open the radiator flap (which manual suggest I shouldn't need to do) and doesn't make any difference. Mixture appears to be all good so, but I'm getting the white smoke from right bank and coolant still around 138/140 mark.

So I manage to land without blowing up the engine, shut aircraft down, shift + 7 to see what I damaged, nothing? No report of any damage everything reported as in great shape?

I'm a little puzzled? Thoughts?

Cheers, Rob.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Coolant Temp - overheating on approach?

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Rob,

How long do you have gear and particularly flaps down during your approach? Both will disrupt the flow of cooling air through the radiator, but particularly the flaps.

If you're trying to fly a long 'airliner style' approach with flaps down in the Spitfire, this could be one explanation for the rising coolant temperature.

Thanks,
Nick

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Yep...my guess is you're flying a "Moscow Approach". You need a racetrack circuit, 800-1000ft with the runway right ON your left wingtip. The gear interrupts airflow into the radiator and should only be lowered mid downwind. The flaps are really BRAKES not designed to give extra lift but to slow down...drop them AS you establish on short final out of a curved base/final. Also, as soon as you have directional stability on the ground, get the flaps up and out of the airflow.

Read the Radiator Tutorial

https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 77&t=64197

and THIS post:

https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 77&t=64297

... I suspect you will solve all problems in one hit.

regards

Darryl

(oh and it is not at all uncommon for the Baby Spitfires to overheat on approach. ...but not 138/140.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

robains
Staff Sergeant

Post by robains »

Excellent, great advice ... I will adjust my flying as I suspect you're all correct, gear down too soon ... I had left the flaps about as late as I could, but I had gear down early.

I also have the canopy open at around 120 for landing ... is that appropriate? Thought I recall reading the docs that suggested canopy open for takeoff and landing?

Cheers, Rob.

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

If I'm remembering the manual correctly, canopy open and door unlatched for takeoff and landing (not possible to unlatch the door without opening it in the sim)

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Yeah, for me the canopy is open just before landing in the P-47, P-51, T-6 and Spitfire. I can sense it adds a small amount of drag but that could just be an overly sensitive imagination!
Having the canopy open for take-off makes sense to me as well. Especially if you consider the need for a speedy egress due to fire, etc.

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Jacques wrote:Yeah, for me the canopy is open just before landing in the P-47, P-51, T-6 and Spitfire. I can sense it adds a small amount of drag but that could just be an overly sensitive imagination!
Having the canopy open for take-off makes sense to me as well. Especially if you consider the need for a speedy egress due to fire, etc.
A friend of mine who learned with the USAAF shortly after WWII told me that SOP for the T-6 was canopy closed for take off and open for landing. The Air Ministry book for the Spitfire IIA and IIB does indeed have you keep the canopy locked open until you reach 185mph in the climb, after which it can be closed "at leisure, though without undue delay".

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Here's one way to land the Spitfire. A method I usually end up mimicking, depending on circumstances of course.

https://youtu.be/-92geQk3M5s?t=885

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

bladerunner900 wrote:Here's one way to land the Spitfire. A method I usually end up mimicking, depending on circumstances of course.

There's a touch of 'Oh dear! I'm too low, more power please No 1' in that video :D
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

The secret to landing ANY propeller driven fighter plane is in making a close in circling stabilized approach. This is especially pertinent to the early Spitfires as noted by Darryl and others.
Just fly the break from the option....initial....stabilize the Spit early carrying medium power and save the flaps and gear until the base to final portion of your circling approach. Follow the manual as to radiator shutter positioning during the approach and after landing and all should go well.
Dudley Henriques

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Ron Attwood wrote:
bladerunner900 wrote:Here's one way to land the Spitfire. A method I usually end up mimicking, depending on circumstances of course.

There's a touch of 'Oh dear! I'm too low, more power please No 1' in that video :D
Yeah. I'm usually higher and faster but the method is sound, just come in and down quicker.

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”