Installation into P3D v4.3 failing

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Skywanderer
Airman Basic

Installation into P3D v4.3 failing

Post by Skywanderer »

Hello. I'm trying to install this product (purchased through JustFlight) into P3Dv4.3 Academic but the installer variously reports failue due to 'an error' (I have the error log file) or just becomes unresponsive after clicking Install. I initially had the L049 and Cherokee both installed and working via the old P3D installers but have now uninstalled them. The Spitfire still won't install. My AV (Bitdefender) is disabled, and I get no error messages. I have to CTRL-ALT-DEL to exit the installer. I've tried running as administrator. I've tried installing into the (offered) Documents folder, and into my own folder where the other two aircraft used to be, but no joy. I've since deleted that folder and run P3D again - installation still fails. I've unistalled all A2A aircraft from all versions of the sim. Can you offer any advice please? I can send my error log if requested. Thank you.

Stuart

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Installation into P3D v4.3 failing

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Stuart,

Sorry to hear you've had difficulties with the installation. Yes, please - if you can share the installer log that should hopefully help to shed light on the issue. Could you upload it to a file sharing site such as Dropbox and post a link here?

Thanks,
Nick

Skywanderer
Airman Basic

Post by Skywanderer »

Hi Nick. Thanks for responding quickly.

Here's a link to two log files, named to match these two installation targets:
1) My Folder Outside P3D: Installer is permanently unresponsive after I press Install.
2) In My Documents folder: Installer ends prematurely 'because of an error' but can be closed.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/upvopyblek5o ... MAX6a?dl=0

I hope this helps. Thanks in anticipation.

Stuart

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for posting the logs. They both indicate that the the error occurs when a short script is run which checks the installation path for modification. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell me what exactly causes this.

I wonder if Bitdefender is somehow still involved, though you mention installing with it disabled. Also, during testing of the installers, Bitdefender didn't seem to have any problem with this script.

Do you have any other security type software installed which may be intervening and preventing this script from running.

One other quick question: have you relocated your 'Documents' directory since installing Windows? I'd expect it to be "C:\Users\Stuart\Documents" but in your case it's just reporting "C:\Stuart\Documents".

Thanks,
Nick

Skywanderer
Airman Basic

Post by Skywanderer »

Thanks for your thoughts, Nick.

All modules of Bitdefender were completely disabled and I don't have any other security software apart from Rapport - an online banking protection software for browsers.

Yes I had moved the My Documents folder to H:\Stuart\My Documents (my C Drive is a smallish SSD) but I've now restored My Documents to the default location c:\Users\Stuart\My Documents. Installation of the Spitfire still fails in the same way unfortunately.

I've also done a full virus scan which was negative but otherwise I'm stuck for ideas to try. I've never had problems installing any other software, simulation or otherwise, so it's puzzling. I'd welcome any other ideas or suggestions you can make.

Thanks again

Stuart

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Hello Stuart.

Try downloading again from JustFlight. I only mention it because a user, three threads below yours, had similar corruption issues with his downloads from JustFlight. Seems coincidental but worth a try.

Steve.

Skywanderer
Airman Basic

Post by Skywanderer »

Thanks Steve - I appreciate the suggestion.

I've tried that a couple of times on different days but in my case it doesn't seem to be that. I initially contacted Just Flight who (as always) tried to be helpful but in this case the new installer is beyond their expertise. I might ask them if they can re-upload the file at their end.

Stuart

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Stuart,

I've dropped you a PM. Thanks for your patience so far - we'll get this sorted out somehow.

Cheers,
Nick

Skywanderer
Airman Basic

Post by Skywanderer »

Really appreciate you sticking with this, Nick. Thanks for the PM - I will do as you suggest re the Connie.

I used to have Malwarebytes Free and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit on my machine but uninstalled them via Control Panel some time ago. So I went into the Malwarebytes forums and found a couple of clean-up utilities that I have run. I have also used msconfig to do a selective startup with the bare minimum of stuff, including not even starting Bitdefender.
There has been one small change - whilst the installer still doesn't work -it reports an error straight away using the default location and just sits there if I use a non-default folder but it doesn't lock-up this time and can be closed.

I've also combed through my running processes and can't see anything that would appear to be a security program running.

Clutching at straws I did a search on the phrase "Failed to marshal script action" which appears a lot in the error logs and isn't exactly a common phrase. I don't pretend to understand what I found except that possible problems with OLEAUT32.DLL and its registry entries came up in relation to that error message. Interestingly OLEAUT32.DLL is referred to in one of my logs immediately before things appeared to go wrong.

OK - I'm totally out of my depth here but I mention it triggers any thoughts...

Thanks ever so much again. Do let me know if there's anything else I can do to help shed light on this.

Stuart

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hmm - I think you may be onto something there Stuart. This topic on the Advanced Installer forums titled "failed to marshal script action" could contain a possible solution. Before we proceed further though, there's one thing I forgot to ask: which version of Windows are you running?

Thanks,
Nick

Skywanderer
Airman Basic

Post by Skywanderer »

Sounds hopeful. Windows 7 Professional 64 bit SP1.

Stuart

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks Stuart.

What I'd recommend now is that you follow the advice in that thread on the Advanced Installer forum, specifically this bit:
1. Register the following DLL files from an administrator Command Prompt:

Code: Select all

regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll
regsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll
regsvr32.exe jscript.dll
regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll
regsvr32.exe -i shell32.dll
Restart the machine after registration if the issue still persists.

2. The scripts might be blocked by the antivirus, so you can try to disable it during the installation.

3. Register the Windows Installer service:

Code: Select all

C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe /regserver
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msiexec.exe /regserver
More info on how to do this can be found here if it's needed.

If this doesn't work, you could also try the Microsoft hotfix here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... 3006226-in.

Interested to hear if this is successful.

Thanks,
Nick

Skywanderer
Airman Basic

Post by Skywanderer »

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the suggestions. No joy I'm afraid. I did everything you highlighted plus this action noted later in the linked thread:

>> 1. On machines that have the KB3139923 update installed, make sure that update KB3072630 is also installed.
>> 2. If update KB3072630 is not installed, then uninstall the KB3139923 update.

In my case I had KB3072630 but not KB3139923, but when I tried to add that the installer said it wasn't applicable to my machine. So I uninstalled the other one temporarily - no difference.

Reading to the end of the thread it does seem to be something that, for a small but significant number of users, may be an insoluble problem. As you said mine is not the only case you've encountered. Might it be that the suggestion at the end of that thread of re-writing the script using a different tool might be the way forward?

Appreciate your help again.

Stuart

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for taking the time to try those suggestions.

So far it's just yourself and one other customer who have reported this issue, both in the last week which is probably just a coincidence. We'll have to see if further reports of the same issue surface before we consider rewriting scripts in C++ etc. (This sort of thing is more problematic once a product has been released.) Unfortunately this problem never cropped-up during beta testing.

I suspect it's down to an elusive issue with your installation of Windows. For now, I think the best plan will be for me to send you a download link to a zipped copy of the Spitfire files that you can manually copy into the desired location. Does this sound okay? Probably won't be able to do this until tomorrow UK time.

Thanks,
Nick

Skywanderer
Airman Basic

Post by Skywanderer »

That's very kind Nick, thank you. I've not knowingly done anything particularly unusual with my PC but I know that installing/updating stuff over the years means that every PC develops it's own unique 'ecosystem'. I hope a solution comes to light at some point because I'd hate to be unable to buy and update other A2A products, but for now I very much appreciate the time you've put into this for me and the solution you've offered.

Thank you.

Stuart

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”