JoinFS and A2a

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
new reply
Shalomar
Staff Sergeant

JoinFS and A2a

Post by Shalomar »

I installed the Texan in the default location for P3D V4. I scanned for models and it did not show up on the substitute aircraft list and I did not see anyone else in a Texan who wasn't mismatched.

How do you get A2A planes to work with JoinFS?

Thanx in advance

Donald
Virtual Avgas fits my budget...

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Re: JoinFS and A2a

Post by TreeTops »

Don, at the bottom of the scan page you will see another window where you can add search path for aircraft located outside the P3D folder.
Cheers
Trev

Shalomar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Shalomar »

EDIT: I figured it out, the chain should end at simobjects if the planes are installed in the default location.

Where do I end the link? At Prepar3d V4 addons, A2A, Simobjects or airplanes?

Thanx for your reply
Virtual Avgas fits my budget...

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Mine reads: C:\Users\Ron\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Ron Attwood wrote:Mine reads: C:\Users\Ron\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons
Is that where the SimObjects and other folders wound up?

The only things that should be in the Documents folder are folders containing "add-on.xml" files that point to where the actual installation location of the Add-ons are located.

I relegated mine to my Z: drive. I believe some developers 'early' installers were erroneously putting all the Add-on content in locations contrary to Lockheed-Martin's direction.

Paul

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Shalomar wrote:EDIT: I figured it out, the chain should end at simobjects if the planes are installed in the default location.

Where do I end the link? At Prepar3d V4 addons, A2A, Simobjects or airplanes?

Thanx for your reply
Here are some of the additional search paths I have specified for JoinFS, depending upon whether I am flying FSX or P3DV4:

Z:\P3DV4X\A2A Aircraft\A2A <--- path contains SimObjects, Effects, Gauges and other folders
Z:\P3DV4X\Gypsy Baron\PDS Addons <--- path contains SimObjects, Effects, Gauges and other folders
Y:\91st_BG_Aircraft <--------------path contains only Aircraft folders
X:\FSX <-------------- Full FSX installation path

JoinFS searches for SimObjects in those paths.

One thing I discovered is JoinFS will not allow substitutions 'across platforms'. That is, if I am flying P3DV4 I can't substitute a FSX aircraft for a P3DV4 aircraft I do not have and visa versa even if there are no DLL's involved, which would automatically negate the operation due to the 32 versus 64 bit coding of the DLL's.

Paul

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

I'm on P3Dv4.2 and My Documents is the default destination if developers are following Lockheed Martin's preferred method. As do A2A.

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

I would hardly classify SimObjects as 'Documents'. And since that folder is in the C: drive I would expect that location to become bloated and possibly use up all the space on the drive.

Many programs and installers use a large amount of temporary space on the C: drive but remove those files once an installation is complete. If there isn't enough room on the CL drive the installation will fail.

My meager P3DV4 add-on folder on my Z: drive is already 4.5 GB in size and that is just 15 aircraft and associated Gauges, Sound, Effects folders, etc.

I believe there is some misunderstanding of where the 'default' install path should be. I would never install SimObjects on my C: drive where the System lives. Of the 119 GB total space on my SSD C: drive I only have 25 GB free. My FSX SimObjects folder alone is 25 GB.

Most of my add-on aircraft for both P3DV4 and FSX live on my Y: and Z: drive. My OrbX install is on my O:drive and eats up 186 GB of the 200 GB O: Drive.

IMO the C: drive is for the System and it's files and 'true' documents.

Paul

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

I believe there is some misunderstanding of where the 'default' install path should be.
Don't tell me, tell A2A or Ant's Airplanes or 29 palms or whoever else puts their products in My Documents. Or tell LM, they'll surely listen to you.

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

There is only one reference in the SDK that mentions the so-called default path and that was apparently mentioned as anything installed there is automatically recognized. Most of the SDK discussion talks about the paths to other folders...appdata, roaming, local, etc. Most all installers allow you to designate the desired install path so this is a moot point.

Why they didn't make the default path 'Program Files' is beyond me.

In any case, if the Documents path suits your situation, fine. I, personally, as a rule never install anything to my C: drive with few exceptions. I have 5 drives with about 20 partitions to choose from so there is no need to for me to clutter up the System drive. OrbX gets it's own drive/partition as does Addon Scenery so that the Sim install location doesn't get bloated with those entities. I have FSX, -SE, P3dV2.5 and P3DV4.1 on my system. All installed in their own unique path.

Paul

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”