Jan 27 Group Flight - Spitfire Sweep

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
new reply
ratty
Technical Sergeant

Jan 27 Group Flight - Spitfire Sweep

Post by ratty »

Take flight in your Spitfire (or similar) for a tour along the coasts of Normandy and Brittany; from Cherbourg, at the tip of the Cotentin Peninsula, over the Channel Islands, to Mont St. Michel, Brest, and on to land at St Nazaire.

Distance is 360 nm.
Meet at: LFRC, Cherbourg Maupertas.
Start time is 1900 Zulu (11am Pacific, 12 noon Mountain, 1pm Central, 2pm Eastern, 7pm GMT, 8pm CET . . . and 8am Monday, NZDT).
Connect on The Skypark on JoinFS.
Comms through the A2A channel on Discord.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Jan 27 Group Flight - Spitfire Sweep

Post by Paughco »

Looks interesting! I've been flying my Spitfire Mk II just to get ready for the upcoming adventure. We may need to get up to 15,000 feet or more to optimize fuel efficiency in order to make it 360 miles.

Seeya
ATB

Corsair015
Senior Airman

Post by Corsair015 »

Sounds like fun! I don't have a spit, but I will be taking my mossie :)
ImageImageImage
Corsairs Forever!

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

As far as fuel is concerned, an aircraft's range is pretty much the same regardless of altitude. The difference is the speed at which you can cover the distance; the true air speed is higher at higher altitude. Also, we don't have to go all the way to St Nazaire; I'm just attached to it because it was the site of a famous WWII raid (Operation Chariot) that I read about as a kid. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Nazaire_Raid, and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXusKM5uX0s.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

No sweat. Any altitude you call out during the brief. I pre-ran the mission earlier today. Well, most of it, anyway. I got over St. Brieuc Armor (LFRT) and decided to "direct boogie" down to the destination airport, St. Nazaire Montoir (LFRZ). There was too much goin' on at LFRZ, so I vectored on over to the uncontrolled La Baule (LFRE) and got in just fine. Only bummer was the runway also was part of a roadway. Which side of the runway should you be on if you're in a British airplane on a French runway? Barely got into the lower tank.

One thing I like about these MP flights is that we keep changing up the aircraft. I tend to fly the "next" airplane a bit before the mission, which helps to maintain proficiency and insure that there are no "hangar queens" in my fleet.

All in all, a total blast! I'm trying to come up with a flight worthy of our group. Maybe something in Alaska. Maybe the Four Corners area in the USA. OK, I'll go check out those Operation Chariot links now.

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”