Starting problems

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
joe bob
Senior Airman

Starting problems

Post by joe bob »

I have just reloaded the Boeing onto my new computer and I can't for the life of me to get the engines to start. I have never had any trouble before.
I have the 377 + accusim + SP1 loaded in that order/ (I don't have capt of ship)
I turn on the master ignition , batt and avionics. the apu, the fuel pumps, mixture to rich or auto rich, set the various cooling flaps. I have fuel pressure, the oil temps are not cold,
engine 3 start for 8 blades as I prime 3 shots, mags on, booster on I never get a start or even a combustion sound like it is trying to start, just the sound of the engine turning over.
Any ideas?

Edit to add that control+E starts it right up.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Starting problems

Post by Jacques »

Hi Joe bob,
Fuel set tank to engine? Throttle opened about an inch?

JP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joe bob
Senior Airman

Re: Starting problems

Post by joe bob »

Thanks for the response Jacques,
Yes I have cracked the throttles and I have tried the fuel selectors in tank to engine as was the original procedure and also tank to engine and manifold as became the procedure after the last service pack if I recall correctly. I do have fuel pressure so I don't know that fuel is the problem but I may be wrong.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

Please can you use the current updater to make sure you are updated.

Thanks,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Ok, after doing the update as Lewis suggests, and if you are still having trouble, can you make sure you are not turning your mags "OFF". I know that sounds strange, but in my set-up, for whatever reason, the mags are set to " ON" by default, and I have by mistake turned them "OFF"during my flow, which will lead to everything proceeding nicely except you will get no ignition or "coughing".
This mostly happens when I've been flying some other plane a lot and am out of practice with the 377!

JP

joe bob
Senior Airman

Post by joe bob »

Good news, the update worked. I had no idea the 377 was something being worked on.
However now I get a chime like a windows OS alert at various times. There are no messages associated with these chimes.
Some seem specific like when I click on the APU switch or sometimes throttle movements seem to do it, other times it seems random or perhaps occurring during an event I did not click on.
Any ideas? I wonder if it is some part of the program trying to act as the capt of the ship engineer, which I don't have.

joe bob
Senior Airman

Post by joe bob »

so no word on the alerts?

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Starting problems

Post by Jacques »

Sorry, Joebob, I've never had any windows type alert sounds triggered by actions in the 377.

JP

joe bob
Senior Airman

Post by joe bob »

Lewis, can you direct this to someones attention who is familiar with the 377?
From my perspective, the 377 has gone from an aircraft that I had many hours in without issue to one that has been updated to one that constantly dings and seems to want to fight me for throttle control at times. Whether true or not it seems to me that I am getting some kind of capt of the ship interference since the chimes happen mostly when I make certain control inputs Since the updates have added nothing to it since service pack one I would be happy to retrograde back to that state but still be able to start it. As it is now it is a mess for me at least.

Welsch
Staff Sergeant

Post by Welsch »

Windows chimes? Like the ones you usually get when (USB) hardware dis- and then reconnects? Since you mention control inputs when the chimes happen, have you looked in that direction (= faulty hardware / flaky USB connection / USB ports that go into powersaving mode too easily) already?

joe bob
Senior Airman

Post by joe bob »

The chimes are not restricted to control imputs

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey joe,

Is your FSX updated to SP2?

Thanks,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

joe bob
Senior Airman

Post by joe bob »

I have accel. One further thing I notice is the chimes only happen in the VC never in external view which further makes me thing it is something with the 377 rather than some type of hardware issue.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Starting problems

Post by Jacques »

Joebob,

You mentioned feeling like there was some sort of interference between your accusim version and a possible "bleeding through" of COTS features, like the virtual engineer was wrestling with you for control of the aircraft. I don't think that is too likely, it isn't ever a wrestling match with the virtual engineer over any controls. At least I don't recognize it as such. The installer should not have recognize your version as COTS, so it shouldn't install any COTS updates to your version. However, I won't say this couldn't happen, since strange things can occur!

Since this is a fresh re-install to a new computer, do you think the install might have gone a bit wrong and become corrupted? Have you tried deleting the dat file, restarting the 377 and letting a new one re-build to see if that clears the issues up. And have you considered a complete un-install and re-install using only the updater to bring the 377 from "vanilla" to the current version?

I realize this is really frustrating and we've all been in your shoes before, but the problem will get sorted by Lewis, yourself and others who try to throw ideas into the mix!

JP

joe bob
Senior Airman

Post by joe bob »

Thanks Jacques, I am just throwing the Capt of the ship idea out there to see what they think, I really only have a vague idea of what the virtual engineer does in that program.
For all I know I may be the last guy on the planet who has just the regular 377 :) I have all the accusims but I just don't enjoy a vocal program if I can help it.

All I really know it that before the updater I could not manually start it but there were no chimes, Now I can start it just like I have for years but the chimes are now in the picture.
I don't know what it causing it but there are some things that I have noticed guarantee a chime like turning on the APU. I hit that switch and it always chimes. It also chimes when I have not touched a thing though.

Lewis, So just to confirm, if I uninstall the 377 completely and then install the 377 and accusim and then run the new updater I am fine without installing sp1? I don't mind giving that a go if that is the case.

One thing that is different from my last computer is that I am running win 7 64. I was careful to right click on the installers to run as administrator. Like I say, it had no chimes with win 7 before the update.

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”