Another engine start problem

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
scotpat2
Airman

Another engine start problem

Post by scotpat2 »

I haven't flown COTS for quite a while so I thought I would renew my acquaintance with the sim. I used to love flying.

I checked for updates first and found the the new updater program, an excellent new addition. I ran that, loaded up my aircraft and tried the easy way of starting using Payload and Fuel Manager, FE Station and auto-start. The engines refused to start, the best I could manage was No1 starting up ok then stopping after less than a minute. I have subsequently tried manual start and ctrl E - each after reloading the flight - no engine starts.

I am totally mystified and can only assume it has something to do with my new PROFLIGHT YOKE SYSTEM or some change made by some other sim.

All suggestions will be gratefully received.
:?

A-26Invader
Staff Sergeant

Re: Another engine start problem

Post by A-26Invader »

I noticed on my pro-flight yoke that I cannot use brakes (I used a trim button on the yoke) for the P-51 and B-17, the update also messed with a couple of other non-a2a aircraft. I'd say to just re-install the B-377 and COTS, the issue should be resolved.
ImageImageImage

scotpat2
Airman

Post by scotpat2 »

I did wonder about doing an uninstall, but when I tried I got the message "could not open install.log file", so I didn't try before posting.

Today I tried uninstall again, same result, I then just went into FSX and deleted the WOS 377 folder.
I then reinstalled WOS followed by COTS and ran the updater.

Unfortunately none of that has made any difference, still can't start engines by any method.

Looks like the B377 will have to stay in the hanger until someone from A2A can help.

:(

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Scot,

Did you try, just for testing purposes, using auto start (CTRL-E)? If this works, shut the engines down after and are you following the checklist if you are doing a manual start? And I mean, line by line, nothing skipped?

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

scotpat2
Airman

Post by scotpat2 »

Thanks for getting back Scot,

I have tried both autostart and ctrl E, both before uninstall and after reinstall.

I have just completed a full manual start, everything makes noises like going to start but rpm does not move.

When I try autostart or ctrl E, no1 engine starts, revs to around 500, then stops.
I have also noticed that fuel selector goes from "tank to engine" ,to "tank to engine and manifold" as it starts in auto, then switches back to "tank to engine" as it stops.

My computer runs Windows 7 Home 64 bit.

Patrick

scotpat2
Airman

Post by scotpat2 »

I thought I would play a little more, this may help.

1. I uninstalled. To my surprise the uninstaller worked fine this time.
2. I installed wos_b377, loaded it up and started using ctrl E, all engines started fine.
3. I installed wos_b377_service_pack_1. All engines started fine with ctrl E.
4. I then installed COTS b377 v2. Could not start engines.

I know that COTS worked on this computer when I first installed it several years ago.

Patrick

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Patrick,

That is not the right order, plus, don't use any old offline updaters. Install in this order:

1. 377 aircraft
2. COTS
3. Run the updater posted at the top of this forum

Also, check that AUTOMIXTURE is not on in your REALISM options.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

scotpat2
Airman

Post by scotpat2 »

Scott,

This is becoming curiouser and curiouser.

I checked my Realism settings, auto-mixture was not ticked - I like adjusting mixture.

I unininstalled and reinstalled in order suggested.
Still could not start engines.

Some observations;
1. The updater said my COTS was up to date ?.
2. I purchased COTS in July 2011 from Fspilotshop. The download is titled "wos_b377_v2_full.EXE

Patrick

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

To have the plane not start "out of the box" like this is very strange. I am wondering if this could be a simconnect issue?

Can you check the FAQ here, if you didn't already?
http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 80&t=25566

Are you Windows service pack 2 or Acceleration?

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Any chance it's a weather issue? Could it be too cold outside to start?
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

scotpat2
Airman

Post by scotpat2 »

In reply,

I have checked the FAQ and it all seems ok.
I am Acceleration.
The check on default Cessna shows gauges as normal and so far I am not experiencing problems with any other sim. I don't think I have a simconnect issue.
I am sure it is not a weather issue, with COTS I serviced the oil which increases temp. Also I have no problem with running WOS only.

I am giving COTS a rest for a bit and flying only WOS B377, it is working perfectly and it's good to renew my relationship with this Stately Queen.

Hopefully, I or some other simmer will have a flash of inspiration to solve this.

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

I don't think I can help this at all. I have been watching this thread since the beginning and debated posting but for what it is worth I wanted to let Scott and you know that I too have COTS and the latest updates running on FSX with acceleration on Vista. I am able to manually start engines and the sim does seem to be working normally.

With these two data points (yours and mine) it can be assumed that we both may have unusual settings in our flightsims, my settings allow the sim to work and yours don't. Or I have unusual settings that permit the normal operation and your normal settings do not, or vice versa. Or we both have normal settings and there is some peculiar bug in the sim that is affecting your system.

So my data point is not very helpful, but if there is some more information I can provide that is more helpful I would be happy to do that.

Regards,
Mike

BTW AFAIK my settings for FSX are "normal".

scotpat2
Airman

Post by scotpat2 »

I agree DC3 that there is something in my set up which is affecting COTS and/or the new updater.

For anyone interested.
I deleted everything on B377 again, this time using a utility called Advanced Uninstaller.

I then installed my original WOS B377. It worked fine, no problems starting or flying. I did notice though that the mixture levers would not respond to the
movement of the lever assigned on my Proflight Yoke System. I checked on FSX default aircraft and it was still working fine with them. I also noticed that when I moved the lever
on my controller the Manifold Pressure Gauges flickered but then settled back, the levers on the B377 still didn't move.

Next, I installed my original Accusim. Again, everything worked fine except my mixture lever.

Then, with trepidation, I installed my Accusim SP1. Everything is now working beautifully including my mixture lever. :D

Yes, this is not the recommended way, but it is working for me and I am thoroughly enjoying flying this magnificent machine.
I must admit to having been seduced in recent times by all these excellent simulations of heavy jets and turboprops which are around.
It's good to be back with the challenge of the B377.

The COTS upgrade will have to wait until I feel brave enough to try it again.

scotpat2
Airman

Post by scotpat2 »

For anyone interested or having similar problems I list below my latest experiences with running COTS.

After enjoying the B377 with Accusim for a while I thought I would have another go at COTS.

I uninstalled all B377 programs and then reinstalled COTS as outlined by Scott earlier.
With trepidation I loaded the B377 IN fsx and tried to start the engines - again I was unable to get them running.

I felt sure my fsx was running well, therefore something had to be amiss in my B377 programs.

Again I uninstalled the B377 and then uninstalled all a2a programs, Accufeel , etc.
I then searched all relevant folders and deleted all references to a2a left behind. Including folders left in My Documents and in fsx.
I replaced my COTS installer with a a new one from the zipped file I had retained from purchase.
I ran the files in the correct order, including Updater.
Fired up fsx, loaded the COTS b377 - VOILA, it all worked perfectly.

I am not sure why it now works, but considering all the updates and additions there has been to B377
I guess something became corrupted in my fsx.

:D Gee but it's good to have that super efficient FE ready to look after the engines when I want a break.

SpitfireMelodeon
Senior Airman

Post by SpitfireMelodeon »

I am sure I am not the only one who on reaching this part of the thread gave you a heartfelt Hurrah.

Cheers and Beers
Bill
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”