Altitude selector

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
new reply
ggiarda
Airman

Altitude selector

Post by ggiarda »

Can someone explain me what's the "altitude selector" for and how does it works?
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

dsward1
Airman First Class

Re: Altitude selector

Post by dsward1 »

ggiarda wrote:Can someone explain me what's the "altitude selector" for and how does it works?
The cabin altitude selector is a knob on the cabin pressurization section of the engineers panel. When the engines are running and the doors/windows are closed, it is set to whatever pressure you want your passengers to enjoy. Rate of change of that pressure is controlled by the meter next to it, that looks like a vertical speed indicator.
If you want to watch it in operation, give pressurization authority to the engineer (shift 3 window) and watch what he changes while you are changing altitude.

Dave
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ggiarda
Airman

Post by ggiarda »

I wasn't referring to the cabin altitude selector (I downloaded very interesting tutorial on that) but the altitude selector that is located under the clock in front of the captain seat.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

dsward1
Airman First Class

Post by dsward1 »

ggiarda wrote:I wasn't referring to the cabin altitude selector (I downloaded very interesting tutorial on that) but the altitude selector that is located under the clock in front of the captain seat.
Ah, sorry. This is the "decision altitude" selector. The aircraft is equipped with ground proximity detection, and this is the setting for the altitude at which the alert lights operate. In order for it to work correctly, the radio altitude gauge (at the top of the same column) on the pilot's and co-pilot's sides must both be turned on, then set alert height in feet on the gauge below the clock. Default setting is 200 feet above ground. As you descend through that altitude, the lights will go from "above" through "decision height" to "below."

Hope this helps.
Dave
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ggiarda
Airman

Post by ggiarda »

dsward1 wrote:Hope this helps.
Dave
It helped very much!
Thanks, dsward1!!! :D
ImageImage