Reverse Thrusters

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
Capt. Dave
Airman

Reverse Thrusters

Post by Capt. Dave »

I have read and re-read the manual trying to find out correct way to activate the reverse thrusters all i can find is use F3 and F4 I have tried but can't get it out of reverse F4 seems to jam throttles full forward. I am missing some step

Please and thanks
Dave

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Reverse Thrusters

Post by Jacques »

Hi Dave,
First question is: Do you use a yoke with a throttle control (lever) or a joystick that you use to advance and retard the throttle?

Edit: also worth noting these key coomands:
F1 to put throttle levers at idle.
F2 to put them into reverse
F3 to bring the back out of reverse.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Re: Reverse Thrusters

Post by AviationAtWar »

I've had the same issue about 50% of the time. They'll work perfectly with F3 and then F4 will bring them back to idle but I can't advance the throttles back up to taxi, either with F4 or joystick throttle. The passengers must be confused when I shut down and let them out on the runway!

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Reverse Thrusters

Post by Jacques »

Here is the sequence for you:

Joystick throttle to idle (full back).

F1 to make sure throttle is at idle.

F2 held will move the throttle over the gate and into reverse.

Use F2 and F3 to make adjustments in reverse. Don't use your joystick throttle while you are inreverse, use only the F2 and F3 keys.

Press and hold F3 to bring it to reverse idle, keep HOLDING F3 to bring it back over the gate and back to normal range. Keep holding it until you reach normal idle RPM.

Now you can use the joystick throttle to make adjustments and taxi to the gate.

Notice that F4 is never used when reversing the props!

For practice, load the aircraft anywhere, with engines off. Move your viewpoint to the pilot's throttles and practice, so you see what it looks like and how it hesitates before it moves up and over the gate.

Capt. Dave
Airman

Post by Capt. Dave »

Thanks for all advice Yes I use Saitek Yoke throttle and rudders and will try F2 and F3 which works on other planes, the manual confused me with F3 and F4 ,will let you know

Dave

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

I miss spoke on the F keys earlier but the problem is as described other than that. When it happens you can go to full power in reverse, make adjustments up and down with F2 and 3 and go back to idle, but holding it refuses to bring the throttles past the gate to normal forward thrust.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

AviationAtWar wrote:I miss spoke on the F keys earlier...
Yeah, no worries! Just to be sure, though, you have run the latest update, the one at the head of every forum entry dated 11/20/2014?

What you described used to give me trouble as well. Putting on the parking brake would allow me to bring the throttles back over the gate, but that isn't a very satisfying solution.

Have you tried running through the sequence at the gate, engines off, parking brake off, to make sure that the key presses move the throttle through the entire range?

Also, if you touch your joystick throttle at any point when you are in reverse thrust, it seems to cause trouble. You should ensure you are completely out of reverse before you start moving the joystick throttle.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

Yep, I ran the updater a month or so ago.

I'll definitely give the parking brake thing a try, hope that works! I'd be happy with that as a workaround.

EDIT:

I flew tonight and the problem happened, setting and releasing the parking brake worked perfectly.

Tiger_Walts
Senior Airman

Post by Tiger_Walts »

The Saitek throttle quadrant has a detent at the bottom end. Pulling the lever past this point and fully down will activate a button. Assign this to reduce the throttle (same as F2).

The downside to this is that there isn't a smooth way to bring it back to idle.

You can move the lever into the forward range slightly and back to zero to get idle. This isn't too rough with jet engines but it can be quite jarring with reversible props.

You could always assign one of the face buttons to increase the throttle.

triflyman
Senior Airman

Post by triflyman »

The reverse thrust worked perfectly until 3 flights ago and now it will go into reverse (using F2) but very weak...MP only goes up a little from idle. It will also go out of reverse using F3 and the throttle will work normally to taxi after that. With the throttles in normal range I can move them up and back with F2 & F3. I watched the throttles when pressing F2 and it moves back to the "hump" and then jerks a little and will keep doing that until I release F2. Tried the idea I saw here of unplugging my controller but no change.

Thanks for any help

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Hi Triflyman,

When you say that it goes back to the "hump" and then just jerks rapidly back and forth without really running fully back into the reverse range, that sounds to me like you still have a bit of your hardware throttle in the normal range, or you are getting some spikes from your hardware throttle. Assuming you use a hardware throttle. Any kind of conflict between a hardware device controlling the throttle and keyboard commands for the throttle will lead to this behaviour.

JP

triflyman
Senior Airman

Post by triflyman »

I tried disconnecting the joystick and using only the F2 key...same result. I also tried a different keyboard and mouse...same result. I have seen several people say that unless your at full closed throttle it won't go into reverse. Just to see what would happen I left the throttle at about 50% and hit the F2 key...it pulled the throttle back to idle (which it should anyway) and then went over the hump into the weak reverse that I have been experiencing.

Now with all that said I did an experiment where I landed and put in reverse as normal...it did it's "jerking right around the "hump", as I've been getting, with little MP and RPM's...but it did stop the ship...just no "reverse noise" nor any other indication that it was working. So it appears it is working...just without the effects. I then was able to confirm this with several "aborted take offs".

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

No... You've stumped me there. Someone from the dev team would have to weigh in on where exactly the code for "reverse prop", and all its actions is triggered. I mean, it is possible that all those twitches around idle are actually quick alternations between idle and a small amount f reverse.

To be completely honest,though, I almost never put the props into reverse even though I know that the manual describes it as a standard procedure. I really only use it for very short fields, and really haven't suffered any consequences as a result.

JP

triflyman
Senior Airman

Post by triflyman »

I guess I treat FSX and the Strat...not as a game but as a Simulator....and why I've been flying nothing but the Strat since I got it. I work hard to re-create the whole experience as accurately as possible (within my capabilities) and that is why reversers and the experience of them is important to me. Just stopping with brakes does not work. Hopefully you all can help me figure this out.

Thanks.

triflyman
Senior Airman

Post by triflyman »

Found the problem...I realized I had installed WeatherShip from this forum just before all this happened. Removed it and put in the old panel.cfg and everything returned to normal. I'm going to post a warning on that post.

Thanks for your input. Next time I need to remember when I make changes...problem was from the time I installed that I had about 4 days I was gone and did not fly so I forgot about it.

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”