No throttle control after reverse

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hi guys,

I also took advantage of the Stratocruiser and COTS sale yesterday. That was just to good to pass. I just finished my first long flight with 1100nm. What a great aircraft. But so much more work than the B-17. Thanks for the virtual flight engineer! :wink:

I just had one problem. Taxiing back to the gate I accidentally put the props into reverse. And then I lost all throttle control. I could only go more reverse or idle. I couldn't apply any power out of idle. Neither with my joystick, the keyboard nor by grabbing the throttles in the virtual cockpit. I had to slew the aircraft to the parking position. There it was back to normal again. Did I do something wrong?

Thanks in advance.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Re: No throttle control after reverse

Post by TreeTops »

Use F3 to work the throttles back into normal range.
Cheers
Trev

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I did that. The throttles moved back forward into the idle position and then there was no more response. Not by my joystick nor F3 nor could I move them in the VC. The only way they would move was into reversed again with F2. But when I moved them forward with F3 they would disengage reverse ( the throttle levers moved back down into the console) and then not respond anymore.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Make sure your physical throttles are positioned at idle before using the F3. Use F1 if you have to.
Also continue to apply F3 until the throttles move into positive range.
There was some post ages ago about the combination of brakes in there as well.
Cheers
Trev

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Ok. I'll give it a try on the next flight.

Thanks for the advice

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Ok guys. Same problem after the next flight. I can move the throttle into reverse and the props will go into reverse with F2. Then when slowed down enough I move the throttle back to idle with F3 to taxi of the runway. The throttle in the VC moves forward into the idle position and down (into the center console). And from this point on I cannot move the throttle back forward. Not with my joystick nor with F3 nor by grabbing the throttle in the VC and moving it. It's only after I slew the aircraft to the gate and shut the engines down that I regain the throttle control.

Any ideas?

WarHorse47
Senior Airman

Post by WarHorse47 »

I encountered the same as you. Just hitting the F3 key didn't take the throttles back to idle. I discovered that the F3 key has to be held down for a couple of seconds in order to return throttle control back to my joystick throttle.

--WH

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Hi Guys,

Take a look at this post and see if it is any help:

Reverse thrust again

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... pid=355844

It can be a frustrating process to get the props to go into beta, but it can be done! I'm going to assume that by "shortcuts" you mean the keyboard shortcuts. If you are using a hardware throttle it is essential that, as ATB says above, you have your throttle lever(s) full back.

Once they are full back, press F1 to ensure they are full back, then hold F2 to put them into beta, then hold F3 to take them back out of beta.

You can watch the cockpit throttle quadrant to see these actions happen. Once the throttle has jumped the ramp (after holding F3), then you can take control again with your hardware throttle.

If at any point in the process you try to help things along with your hardware throttle, then it simply won't work.

I think some people have had success programming their hardware throttles to successfully go into and out of beta, but that is beyond my experience. Read the posts, go to a really long airstrip, like Edwards AFB, and just do test runs up and down the strip. You'll likely destroy your engines, but this will help you get the technique memorized!

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Yes, this is how I do it. Throttles to 0%, F2 into beta, F3 out of beta, continue using throttles to taxi.
Thanks for digging up the thread about this Jacques.
Cheers
Trev

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Thanks for the advice. And thanks for digging up those threads Jacques. I'll give it a try at the gate with engines off first and then I'll try on the next flight. I'll report back.

Thanks again

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Try before you take off. Its a much calmer situation and you can then fly and land confident that you can do it.
Cheers
Trev

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Sebastian,

To really come to grips with the techniques, to watch the throttles in action you should do this out on an abandoned airstrip. Practicing the motions at the gate is fine, but you don't get the feedback you need when you're learning something new or different.

If you're worried about your career, cut and paste your .dat files into a an empty folder on your desktop and let the sim generate a new batch!

It will take you a few times up and back to to see how it works. For me, the key press (and hold) can take some time before the action I want occurs, which can be disconcerting if you're not ready for that to happen (which circles back to Treetops wise notion of "calmness").

chadryan
Senior Airman

Post by chadryan »

I've been flying the 377 for a couple years and never had this problem but now I'm experiencing it. After coming out of reverse there is literally no way to increase forward throttle. Maybe something broke during an update or something? If I fiddle around long enough I can usually advance the throttles but it has taken me almost 5 minutes of sitting on the runway each time.

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

I can confirm there is some type of wonkiness with the thrust reverse. It's just really glitchy in general - if I press and hold F2 while looking at the throttles, they do move backwards but very glitchy/jerky. Pressing F1 for throttle cut (which should move them back to idle) does nothing, pressing my joystick button for cut throttle does nothing, pressing my joystick button for advance throttle does nothing. The only thing that works is the default F2/F3 keys.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Check there are no other controllers interfering.
Cheers
Trev

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”