Starting P-40 after T6 Release Update

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Starting P-40 after T6 Release Update

Post by aonyn »

Hi All,

I just spent the past hour trying to get the P-40 started after installing the update that came out with the T-6 Release.
Maintenance hangar is all good.
It seems the intertial starter just does not spin the prop enough to kick the engine over.
I tried reloading the aircraft, tried different variants, etc.

Is anyone else finding starting the P-40 more difficult since the patch?
Has the recommended procedure changed and I need to change my method (which has always worked for about a year now)?
Or is my patch perhaps not installed correctly?

BTW, I flew the P-51 Civilian last night with the patch. I noticed also the starter really turns the prop much slower for the 51, but the 51 did finally start, the 40 I just can't get running.

Thanks,
Dave
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Re: Starting P-40 after T6 Release Update

Post by aonyn »

I forgot to mention, temperature outside was 70F, so I doubt that was the problem.
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

Hey Dave

For what it is worth, I've installed the T6 which carries the new update (I mean I didn't install the update as a standalone). The P-40 starts up OK on my side. You sure that you did the whole sequence : throttle advanced, ignition on both, fuel pressure with the hand pump, primer, starting wheel, mixture on autorich ? If the prop spins only slowly and stops, you may have forgotten to put the ignition on both.

No particular problem to start the 51 either.

Hope that helps !
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Thank You for the reply Dominique.

I tried battery alone as well as apu assisted.
Fuel in all tanks, 50% fuselage tank.
Fuel valve to reserve tank.
prop on and auto.
Throttle cracked,
Prop fine
Mixture cut off, as I generally don't, go auto rich until it tries to fire.
Mags hot
Wobble 4lbs, prime
Repeat wobble and prime several times. I was using 5 squirts.
Energize till stable high pitch, then engage and hold, priming if not starting immediately.
Advance mixture when it fires.

That is my usual technique, from memory.
Certainly it is possible I missed something, but after so many tries, and having no trouble in the past, I am wondering if something went wrong with my patch install.

My Cherokee starts exactly as it always has.
My P51 I noticed the starter spins the prop much slower than before, but it did start after several tries.
When I engage after energizing the P40, the prop seems to spin very slowly, and never gets enough momentum to turn over. Maintenance hanger reports no problems.

Regards,
Dave

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

I can confirm working Ok, though you might now depending on conditions have a little more trouble. Make sure to give her the needed primer and get ready to play with that throttle if having trouble. I just loaded the RAF version in Libya somewhere with real weather and had her started second try.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

It may be worth trying a total rebuild from the maintenance hangar anyway.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Thanks Scott and Lewis,

It is good to know it is still working for others, so I should be able to get it working here too.

I will try a rebuild in the maintenance hangar tonight and will report back if that gets her running.

Regards,
Dave

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Dave if you are ok losing the hours you can delete the .dat file for ther P-40 to let the new one be generated as a bit of a clean house situation.

thanks,
Lewis

wallydog
Senior Airman

Post by wallydog »

aonyn wrote:Hi All,

I just spent the past hour trying to get the P-40 started after installing the update that came out with the T-6 Release.
Maintenance hangar is all good.
It seems the intertial starter just does not spin the prop enough to kick the engine over.
I tried reloading the aircraft, tried different variants, etc.

Is anyone else finding starting the P-40 more difficult since the patch?
Has the recommended procedure changed and I need to change my method (which has always worked for about a year now)?
Or is my patch perhaps not installed correctly?

BTW, I flew the P-51 Civilian last night with the patch. I noticed also the starter really turns the prop much slower for the 51, but the 51 did finally start, the 40 I just can't get running.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave,

I've noticed this as well in P3D v3.2. I have difficulty with all the warbirds- P40, Spitfire, and both versions of the P-51 (mil & civ). I know A2A does not officially support the older planes in P3D but wanted to validate your issue. I don't have the Texan yet, just the latest patch. It's also possible that there's an issue with the installation of the planes since P3D requires a manual install for them but I have not had startup issues before the patch.

This is what I have experienced. Auto-Start works flawlessly on all models but I have been unable to consistently start each plane after trying multiple times. When I load a plane, I will pull up the Shift+3 menu and do a cold start. Auto-Cold Start is Disabled. Battery on, Gen on, Fuel pump on, prime, then starter. Mags are on except with the P-51 which I switch on after the blades rotate a few turns. I have always had mixture on cutoff until the engine catches. Usually I'll continue to prime as the engine catches. I've also noticed that in some of the instances I'm able to get the engine started, it can run with mixture still in cutoff. When I've been able to get the planes to start it's usually when loaded from the main startup screen.

If there is indeed a bug, I hope this helps squash it. I will be attempting fresh installs to see if the error is on my end.

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Thanks Lewis and Wallydog,

So I tried again tonight, prior to doing an overhaul or deleting dat file.
The temperature was 10 degrees colder than last night, so I was not hopeful.
I did my usual procedure, and again the prop spun up slow when I engaged, and seemed like it was going to do the same as last night.

Then, when the prop was close to stopping, after that first failed engage, I heard a little cough from the engine, and started priming again immediately, and she came to life.
I kept her going with the primer for a few moments, then pushed the mixture to AR.

She ran great for the rest of the flight.
I did notice when she first started, the oil pressure seemed a bit low, bouncing around at the very bottom of the green arc.
I expect usually for the pressure to be slightly high when starting cold.
Once she was warm though, the pressure was normal, and no problems.

So.. I am not sure what happened last night, but she does run.
Perhaps the starting behavior is different with the new patch, so I will have to get used to the change, and modify my technique once I get a handle on it.

Thanks again everyone,
Dave

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Dave,

good to hear and yes the update has brought in some new changes trickling down from the T-6 development.

thanks,
Lewis

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Hi Lewis,

Thanks Again.

BTW, I just want to add, while i was frustrated the other night when I spent an hour without success starting it...
... seeing it turn over the next night, especially the sluggish start it was, and keeping it running on primer was just extremely cool.
It is a great reminder of why accusim is great. I can't think of another time I have felt more like I am actually managing an old 12 cylinder beast from WWII, and not just another fs plane.

Regards,
Dave

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Hi All,

So I was going to fly tonight, with the new patch, for 3-30-2016.
It seems the starting difficulty is even more difficult now.
For 2-1/2 hours, I was unable to start at all with either the P-40 or the P-51.
In the P-40, I noticed the inertial starter was unable to crank the prop rpms past 225 or so on engage, and this is only a very small bounce, it really averages less than 200, perhaps about 150.
And in the P-51 the starter turns the prop very very very slowly.

I tried a complete overhaul.
I tried deleting the dat files and allowing them to be recreated with the latest version.
I tried clearing the real world weather and reloading the planes into default fsx clear weather, thinking perhaps the weather was the problem to no avail.

Autostart turns over immediately and runs fine (but what's the fun in autostart in an accusim plane :D )

Anyway, it seems most are able to start the p51 and p40 with no troubles in the new version, so I have to wonder if my technique is very flawed.
At the same time, considering I have been using both aircraft for quite some time without any major difficulty starting prior to the T-6 updates, I also have to wonder if something is just not right, perhaps only in a certain configuration. Basically from what I can tell, it is as though the starters in both aircraft are extremely weakened, and turn the prop at a fraction of the speed which they did before the update, and not enough to start, except for the occasional barely kick over (and this seems to be rare).

If it helps to narrow this down, I am in FSX Steam Edition, and Win10.

Regards,
Dave

wallydog
Senior Airman

Post by wallydog »

Dave,

After a few hours of testing, I can confirm that all birds are working with the new patch and starting. I reinstalled my P-51 in FSX and noticed that I had the same difficulty starting these birds up so must be the pilot.. me. Start-up in cold weather seems particularly challenging but also extremely satisfying.

I'm not sure if I had been over-priming and flooding the engine. I don't know if this was modeled before but it seemed like before I could prime all day without consequence. Not so much now it seems. How much your throttle is cracked also seems to matter more. I read in another post it's about half what is used to be for the P-51. Also my throttle on my stick drifts slightly which may also have contributed to my difficulty starting. I just set it now manually with the mouse and of course temperature matters. I was able to get all my birds started albeit with multiple tries but the new patch has definitely breathed new life in these birds. Keep trying.

I am curious on engine flooding. Would love to hear A2A's comments on this.

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Hi Walleydog,

Thanks again for the reply.
Based on what you are saying, the problem is most likely between the chair and the throttle ( ME )
When it won't engage I am responding with more primer, etc, which it sounds may be opposite of the correct response.

I will continue to experiment this evening, keeping a less is more mindset to fuel.
Also, I will leave out fsxwx weather, and use a simple weather theme, so weather is not working against me until I get the hang of it with the new accusim update.

I as well would love to hear more from A2A about how the new accusim changes affect starting, and best technique to use now. An in depth tutorial would be awesome and most appreciated even! :). please please please Scott or Dudley

Regards,
Dave

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”