no engine sound in cockpit view

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

no engine sound in cockpit view

Post by jcblom »

I re-installed all of my A2A aircraft after you updated the P-40 to take care of the ruddertrim problem, but now I have no more engine sound in the cockpitview. I do hear the wheels and some rattles, but no engine.
This could be due to the way it is installed of course. I run P3Dv4.3, and by default you want to install it on C: in a in my mind weird location. Since my C: drive is quite small, I have all my sim-objects and scenery folders on D:, and I asked for all A2A aircraft to be installed there. This gave me a A2A folder under simobjects, with yet another simobjects folder in there. P3D did not see that last folder, so I copied everything in the simobjects folder under A2A to my normal simobjects folder. The effects, gauges & scripts folders were copied form the A2A folder to the P3D folder. P3D now sees my A2A aircraft, but they have no engine sounds in the cockpit. Not just the P-40, but other A2A aircraft as well (except for the P-47 and B-17, which work just fine in P3D..).
Any suggestions what could be causing this?
FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: no engine sound in cockpit view

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Jankees,

Yes, I suspect it's the manual copying and pasting of files and folders which is the problem here: specifically the fact that the main "A2A/P40" folder containing the Sounds.pk file can't be found in the expected location.

If you wish to install your P3D add-ons to your D: drive, I recommend you create a new folder called something along like "D:\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" and simply point the installer to this location when installing. Manually moving files is a bit risky, and it'll tend to break any Start Menu shortcuts too.

In this case you'll need to uninstall your A2A stuff for Prepar3D beforehand, get rid of any leftover files/folders and then restart P3D once before reinstalling to allow the sim to refresh its add-ons.cfg files.

I appreciate that the installation method which Lockheed Martin recommend for P3D differs to that for FSX. However, for a platform which is being constantly updated, it does make life easier in the long run to keep add-ons outside of the main "Prepar3D v4" directory

Thanks,
Nick

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

OK, we have sound! Thank you!
Now back to installing my repaints....sigh

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Good stuff - thanks for the update Jankees. Having stuff installed properly to your D: drive with resorting to manually moving files should make things simpler in the long term. :)

Nick

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

AAArgh, next time I start P3D, all my A@A aircraft are gone again in the sim.
Why is it that only A2A aircraft are being so difficult? Everything else just installs into simobjects/airplanes, why not yours????
OK, I'll try one more time...

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

ok, new install, and we have a model with sound again....however, when I tried my hand at painting, I noticed something strange at the elevators:
Imagejk8116

the right elevator is mirrored to the left one!

your own textures have it too:
Imagejk8117

or is it my install again??
And is that right rudder ok?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Jankees,

Thanks for bringing this one to our attention. Unfortunately it looks like something got a little mixed up with the UV mapping of the empennage at some stage, but we'll issue a patch as soon as possible.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Nick

P.S.
jcblom wrote:AAArgh, next time I start P3D, all my A@A aircraft are gone again in the sim.
Why is it that only A2A aircraft are being so difficult? Everything else just installs into simobjects/airplanes, why not yours????
As mentioned, we use Lockheed Martin's preferred installation method for P3D, as do quite a few other developers.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes, our P3Dv4 products follow the Lockheed Martin guidelines for add-ons, the default is the P3Dv4 add-ons folder in your my documents. But our installers as can P3Dv4 add-ons can be installed anywhere so long as they are all together. Lockheed developer guidelines tell developers to install external so should they need to Lockheed can wipe and clean as needed for there updates without users having to reinstall add-ons every time they update P3D. It also allows more freedom in a users ability to plan and move there sim in pieces without having to reinstall everything with every change.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

I know, I know, but I've installed and re-installed everything a few times now, and where in the past all aircraft were to found in one location, now they can be found all over...
Still, the P-40 is on D: now, and it works, so let's keep our fingers crossed..

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Jankees,

We've just released a fix for the mirrored elevator texture mapping. Thanks again for pointing it out.

Incidentally, the mismatch between the camouflage patterns on the vertical stabilizer and rudder of the AVG model is intentional.

Cheers,
Nick

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

jcblom wrote:I know, I know, but I've installed and re-installed everything a few times now, and where in the past all aircraft were to found in one location, now they can be found all over...
Still, the P-40 is on D: now, and it works, so let's keep our fingers crossed..
So long as the add-ons are native P3D and running with Lockheeds PDK you can still do this, the emphasis is just on the user now. So you can plan where you want things, for example scenery on its own drive, planes on another I know is a popular layout. All our installers allow you to install your A2A aircraft where you wish so long as all the A2A are together.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “P-40 Tech Support”