Accu-Feel FAQ

Add a touch of Accu-Sim to your simulation
Scott - A2A
A2A General

Accu-Feel FAQ

Post by Scott - A2A »

There have been a lot of questions on various forums (which is a good thing), so we've started a FAQ to answer the common questions we have read.

Can settings be changed for each aircraft individually?
Yes. While a profile is generated for each aircraft automatically, you can then make custom changes to each aircraft.

Will settings be remembered?
Yes. Any changes you make are saved with the aircraft. You can reset these settings by hitting default too.

Do I need to edit any aircraft files (aircraft.cfg, panel.cfg, etc.)?
No. Accu-Feel comes with an in-game GUI (graphical user interface) with sliders and buttons for easier editing.

Does Accu-Feel edit any of my Aircraft files, 3rd party or Microsoft default?
No. Accu-Feel is modular and works with FSX at its core, and therefore any and all settings are saved within the Accu-Feel module. Accu-Feel doesn't change any files inside your FSX install directory.

Does this conflict with programs that manipulate the camera, like EZDock?
We operate below the cameras and move the actual model. We currently do not access the cameras so these programs actually well along with Accu-Feel, and our testers recommend keeping EZCA turned on with full effects while using Accu-Feel. If we do access cameras in a future version, we will be sure to allow this feature to be enabled / disabled via the control panel to insure no conflicts.

Do we support helicopters?
Currently we do not, yet this is something we are able to do. We want to give choppers the time and focus to do it right.

Does this work with other sound systems?
Yes. Accu-Feel uses the same sound engine we use in Accu-Sim, which is DirectX windows based. We have yet to find any conflicts with 3rd party sound systems. It even works with our Accu-Sim aircraft should you want to play with the sound effects.

Does this work with existing Accu-Sim aircraft?
Yes it can, but by default, Accu-Feel is turned off for Accu-Sim aircraft. You can enable it and add things that may not be present in earlier Accu-Sim aircraft like ground physics, dynamic tire screech, etc.

Can you actually hear the tires screech in a 747?
While in reality, you won't hear much of a screech when inside a 747, you do certainly feel a whole lot in your seat when those wheels touch the pavement. While we can simulate the visual side, the simulation is not re-producing the more important, feel of the plane touching down. We choose sound to replace this feel when necessary. However, some will like the screech, some won't, which is why we give the customer the final say with a slider.

Can you add this, or simulate this, or improve this?
We are so excited to do anything that improves flight simulation. We see this as forming a base that we can then listen to both developers and customers, about what other features they would like. The goal here is to give the FSX community what it needs to keep growing what is the most powerful, professional flight simulator on the market now and the foreseeable future. We will have a dedicated "In Development" forum that will be specifically for this purpose.
A2A Simulations Inc.

whiic
Staff Sergeant

Re: Accu-Feel FAQ

Post by whiic »

Questions (and suggestions):

1) Will there be free future updates to Accu-Feel (like there has been for Core Accusim), or will the updates be pay-per-update (like Captain of the Sim)? Will Accu-Feel be auto-updated along with Core Accusim or will they use separate updates?

2) Is it possible that you could fix the FSX sound bug within Accu-Feel? You know: you start engine #1, ok idle sound. You start engine #2, FSX starts to play max rpm sound sample for engine #2 even though it's idling at low rpm. And it seems the only way to get rid of high rpm noise is to raise the cold started engine to high rpm and return it to normal. And repeat that every time I switch to external view and back to cockpit, too. And occasionally engine cranking sound in a dark cockpit... that too. All manifestations of this FSX bug are annoying as hell and makes some planes totally painful to immerse into. (Luckily I don't have such problems with multi-engined A2A craft but so many 2-engined non-A2A craft... all because of Microsoft not doing their job properly.)

All that is needed (I suppose) is to trigger the sound file to shut it down. Maybe there could be some script to trigger all engine sounds when ever view is changed? Maybe the files could also be triggered when any of the engines is started? (Should such triggering cause performance concerns on switching views, it could be made something that can also be disabled in the GUI.)

Or should the FAQ line "Accu-Feel uses the same sound engine we use in Accu-Sim" be interpreted that it has already been solved by moving all engine sound from FSX to "Accu Sound" (or whatever you want your external sound engine to be called)? Or is it just extra sounds that run within external engine, and stock sounds within FSX (thus requiring other work-arounds for FSX sound bug)?

EDIT: Got a PM telling the sound bug is (at least on some FSX craft) a simple bug in SOUND.CFG where left and right engine sounds have been misused. At least Grumman Goose is affected but I've also seen several addon craft exhibiting the same problem. Maybe they've used copypasta of a buggy Goose sound config and thus cause the annoyance to multiply. I'll check on whether fixing sound file linkages would solve it within FSX own sound engine.

EDIT2: Linkages themselves looked OK and correcting that sound file didn't solve anything by itself. But I did re-order the definitions at the start of the SOUND.CFG and then re-order the entries in the latter part of the document, so that COMBUSTION.1.xx were all sequential and uninterrupted. Microsoft had layed them out in a way COMBUSTION.1.00 - 1.03 (eng1 internal sounds), then COMBUSTION.2.00 - 2.03 (eng2 internal sounds), then COMBUSTION.1.04 - 1.11 (eng1 ext), then COMBUSTION.2.04 - 2.04 (eng2 ext), but when they were re-ordered to all left engine (left int, left ext) followed by all right engine (right int, right ext). It did seem to correct the sound but. Also PROP lines down, below NON-COMBUSTION lines because they were in that order in the definitions. And removed any "//////////////////////////" space markers from the CFG file just to be certain.... and W00T, it seems to work now.

Unfortunately many more planes (addons too) have similar problems. Maybe Acceleration reads SOUND.CFG differently so that config files for non-Acceleration FSX cause buggy audio?

Anyway, unless the bug resurfaces, I'd retract that "fix FSX sound bug" suggestion. If it's in the config files instead of the sound engine, externalization of engine sounds to Accu-Feel wouldn't actually solve anything. A bad config is a bad config, no matter what engine reads it (unless you make a more syntax tolerant sound engine but I doubt implementing such a feature is worth the trouble). Let's just see if my bug fix is as stable as it seems to be so far...
Last edited by whiic on 27 Feb 2012, 07:23, edited 4 times in total.

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

Since you already added the ground physics to Accu-Feel, is there any chance of adding the Cub's float plane physics to it as well? That would make all those float planes out there so much better, because the FSX default water behavior is terrible.
Happy Landings
- Patrick

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Q: Will there be free future updates to Accu-Feel (like there has been for Core Accusim), or will the updates be pay-per-update (like Captain of the Sim)? Will Accu-Feel be auto-updated along with Core Accusim or will they use separate updates?
A: We are going to open an “In Development” forum with the launch of Accu-Feel so we can have a single place to hear wishes and comments. The idea is, at least at the start, is to keep this growing in the direction the community needs.

Q: Is it possible that you could fix the FSX sound bug within Accu-Feel? You know: you start engine #1, ok idle sound. You start engine #2, FSX starts to play max rpm sound sample for engine #2 even though it's idling at low rpm. And it seems the only way to get rid of high rpm noise is to raise the cold started engine to high rpm and return it to normal. And repeat that every time I switch to external view and back to cockpit, too. And occasionally engine cranking sound in a dark cockpit... that too. All manifestations of this FSX bug are annoying as hell and makes some planes totally painful to immerse into. (Luckily I don't have such problems with multi-engined A2A craft but so many 2-engined non-A2A craft... all because of Microsoft not doing their job properly.)
A: The current version of Accu-Feel does not mess with the default FSX aircraft engine sounds.

Q: Or should the FAQ line "Accu-Feel uses the same sound engine we use in Accu-Sim" be interpreted that it has already been solved by moving all engine sound from FSX to "Accu Sound"?
A: It uses the Accu-Sim “Sound engine” meaning the technology that plays sounds. It is certainly doable to create new engine sounds for any aircraft, which is something that could be on list of things to look into.

Q: Since you already added the ground physics to Accu-Feel, is there any chance of adding the Cub's float plane physics to it as well? That would make all those float planes out there so much better, because the FSX default water behavior is terrible.
A: Absolutely, and already on the “future development” list.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Tim-HH
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tim-HH »

Does the 'wind noise feature' also work with cockpit windows that are not assigned to the default door command? :)

Greetings
Tim
Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Tim,

Right now, we support the first 4 default doors:
(A:EXIT OPEN:0,Percent)
(A:EXIT OPEN:1,Percent)
(A:EXIT OPEN:2,Percent)
(A:EXIT OPEN:3,Percent)

We can support more or custom variables if needed.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Tim-HH
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tim-HH »

Thanks for the info, Scott :)

Greetings
Tim
Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

Thank you and your staff for this wonderful project that will greatly enhance the FS experience. I was curious about Tim's question too about wind noise triggers. I know some planes like the RealAir Scout, the windows are opened via the door commands. Other planes use different triggers for window vents and such like the Carenado birds. The Classics Hangar BF-108 has 'grab n slide' side windows like the B-17. That would be really cool if you guys could even develop some kind of adjustable wind 'tone' for small window openings vs large ones like the Cub.

I remember some hot days in a 172 where I had window vents open in flight. I remember it did generate some wind noise in flight, even with the headset on. Lol one thing I liked about the Cessna window vents is that you could open them and rest your arm over the open window frame. Piper/Beech..etc little storm windows were hardly adequate on hot days.

Thank you guys so much for raising the bar :)
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

We just had a short discussion about how this could be done. We're so close to release atm, this would be something we can build in our development forum after release.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

bigjuicyspider
Master Sergeant

Post by bigjuicyspider »

Since the post-release Development forum isn't up and running yet, I'll just put some things I thought of off the top of my head here:

1) The subtle vibration effects you get from ClamShell type thrust reversers in some of the older jets. Always scared me when I was a kid.
2) The most immersive effect for me in any Accusim airplane thus far is the COTS "something falls out of the overhead compartment and hits the floor with a resounding thud" effect. That effect alone really brings turbulence or harsh manuevering alive for me, and I've always wished I could see it transplanted into other airplanes.
1)i7 980x 4.35 ghz, gtx 470s SLI, Matrox th2go, Creative x-fi
2)i7 2600k, Gigabyte z68x, gtx 285s sli

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

Scott - A2A wrote:Q: Since you already added the ground physics to Accu-Feel, is there any chance of adding the Cub's float plane physics to it as well? That would make all those float planes out there so much better, because the FSX default water behavior is terrible.
A: Absolutely, and already on the “future development” list.
Excellent! Thank you, Scott.
Happy Landings
- Patrick

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

"The most immersive effect for me in any Accusim airplane thus far is the COTS "something falls out of the overhead compartment and hits the floor with a resounding thud" effect."

This is actually the "I negative g'd my plane with passengers on board, and they all came down from the ceiling" effect.

And if you do this while a meal is being served....

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

Scott - A2A wrote:This is actually the "I negative g'd my plane with passengers on board, and they all came down from the ceiling" effect.
Ouch!

I can proudly say that I haven't managed to get that incident yet. ;)
Happy Landings
- Patrick

Muwarr90
Airman

Post by Muwarr90 »

Jigsaw wrote:
Scott - A2A wrote:This is actually the "I negative g'd my plane with passengers on board, and they all came down from the ceiling" effect.
Ouch!

I can proudly say that I haven't managed to get that incident yet. ;)
I did once. I immediately went to spot view to see if all of the plane was still there. It does get your attention.

Warbirds
Technical Sergeant

Post by Warbirds »

The things that make me feel like "I am there" are the shuddering of the 377 when applying power to fast or just before lift off. Also the effect that grabs my friends when the see it for the first time is the very, very subtle wind noise changes as the B-17 window opens a bit, than some more than fully open and then I kill them when in flight and open it just a crack and it makes that great noise you hear in your car with the window open just a bit at a hundred miles an hour.
Paul Grubich 2018
Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

new reply

Return to “Accu-Feel General Discussion”