G940 Force Feedback and Accu-Feel?

Add a touch of Accu-Sim to your simulation
Salty57
Airman First Class

G940 Force Feedback and Accu-Feel?

Post by Salty57 »

I am very intrigued with Accu-feel and wondered how this might enhance the force feedback of my G940? For me, sound and feel are essential for immersion into the flight. Probably due to the lack of force feedback HOTAs, I think that the tailoring of force/feel has not been really implemented well into flight simulators. Perhaps Accu-feel could rememdy this.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: G940 Force Feedback and Accu-Feel?

Post by Scott - A2A »

"I think that the tailoring of force/feel has not been really implemented well into flight simulators."

Absolutely, and I believe this complete lack of proper force feedback programming is the primary reason they have lost popularity. However, that G940 is a tough stick I think. The force feedback in that stick has pretty harsh steps. I am not sure even proper programming would make that stick feel right. We do have the G940 here, but it doesn't get use because of those harsh steps.

In fact, we're going to put a poll out there to see what controllers folks are using.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Scott,

Don't give up on your G940 until you try FS Force software. There is a demo available. It is worth a look I believe.

http://www.fs-force.com/

Vince

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

OK, I will plug it in and try. Thanks, Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

GlennC
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by GlennC »

I fly with a G940. I don't count on it a whole lot for "immersion" mostly because only one of the three sections have force feedback. A stick with motion but not the throttles, and especially the rudder pedals, is an incomplete experience. I like it mostly for control force immulations, except the rudder, and for the most part I think that works pretty well. I like the elevator coming alive on the take-off. It's really big advantage to me is all the things I can map on it and the dual throttles. They really shine on the B-377 and B-17.

Glenn

Salty57
Airman First Class

Post by Salty57 »

Okay based on the recommendation I acquired FS Force and it works very well to moderate the force feedback in FSX. It has great adjustability and you can edit any of the effects, including ground forces too. Coupled with Accu-feel, this is a really great combination because along with the sounds such as you experience on landing, you get the accompanying jolt with the tire screech sound. Anyone with force feedback joystick owes it to themselves to try this software out. There is a demo available so you can try it for free and then decide to purchase it later. It is a little pricey at $37.00 USD but I feel its very worthwhile. I also purchased the J3 Piper Cub Accu-sim and all together, these three make a great combination for immersion in one of my favorite planes to fly around in. I have to say that this is the first time I really have a sense of flight in FSX due to these three programs. Outstanding Scott and thanks to Russel Dirks for FS Force. :D

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

I am glad someone was helped with my FS Force recommendation. I have been using the G940 with FS Force for a couple of years. I have been messing with flight simulation for over ten years and I believe this is the best combo out there. I can't imagine going back to a conventional joystick. Perhaps some one will come out with a set of force feedback pedals that has realistic rudder and brake feel. I have only had one problem with the G940 which is an erratic rotary on the throttle which I repaired. The repair is fairly simple. If anyone has this problem and would like the info let me know and I will post the links that have the instructions.

Vince

Steiny
Airman Basic

Post by Steiny »

Good evening chaps,

First post on the forum, and yes, it's a quest for help.

Vince.. i'm in the right mindset to buying FS Force, allthough looking at the website i was a bit sceptical, but reading some reviews.. it must be worth the price to get that G940 working properly. So.. after posting this, i guess they've got a new customer!

I did, however, raise an eyebrow about the "erratic Rotary on the throttle" you (vince) mentioned... Believing i've definately got it. In IL2 there are alot more "notches" to flaps, and whilst operating the throttle, the flaps tend to lower and retract a little all the time.. so yes, i would be VERY interested in a link to a fix for it. Read something about "rewiring the throttle" ehm... i'm NOT an electrician.. but i bet with good instructions i'd be able to do it, without screwing up the flightsystem.

Just purchased Accu-feel yesterday and it looks great, i need to expiriment with the soundsettings a little, as the engine hugely "oversounds" (i made that up) the effects of Accu-feel. And just read that Helo's aren't supported as of yet.. hence i got the buffeting when trying to take off, lol.

I bought Accu-feel together with Active SKy 2012, (same website, hence the leap of purchase :D ) Still need to get expirimenting with AS2012, but it's looking good so far!

Looking forward to the fix, and also the expirimenting with FS Force, thank you for the tip!

Anybody got some wipermotors laying around? maybe the force feedback for the pedals could be simulated that way? (an idea maybe?)

Regards,

Frank

Salty57
Airman First Class

Post by Salty57 »

DVM,

Thanks for your recommendation. I was having some difficulty fine tuning the G940 in FSX and just wasn't getting there. After I tried FS-Force, I experienced so much improvement that I was sold on the program. I really like the adjustments you can make. FS-Force, Accu-feel and Accu-sim have taken my FSX experience to another level. Now, if only I could get something similar for IL2 1946. The force feedback programing is not well done. Something like FS-Force for IL2 would be a great addition.

I also had the same problem with my rotary on the throttle. I fixed that by opening the base and removing the screw/washer combo that held the cable in place. That allowed enough cable length that it got rid of my problem. That was several months ago and it is still working well. :D

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Frank,

Here are the links for the instructions for the fix. You may like one better than the other. As Salty57 stated it is a simple matter of taking the base apart and removing a screw and a washer that relieves the tension on the cable. I can't remember which link had the best info so I will include all three. Good luck on your fix. One last thing when I am only using one throttle (left) I leave the right throttle all the way forward keeping the wear and tear on the cable to a minimum. I have had to repair some of my CH controllers because of wire fatigue. May be a little anal retentive on my part. LOL

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/PC-Gaming ... d-p/549888

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=59357

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/t ... 420/4.html

Vince

Steiny
Airman Basic

Post by Steiny »

Nothing wrong with a bit of care for a product you intend on using for a long time Vince!

Bought FS Force v2.. and wow.... combined with Accufeel, AS2012... i'm SO impressed... it's all coming together now.
Did a little flight from St Maarten in a lill Christen Eagle, it just felt so good, and thanks to the windnoise from Accufeel, i noticed later i hadn't even looked at the speedo whilst coming in for a, somewhat hard 3 point landing (just a little too high off the ground when i flared and stalled it on it's 3 feet.)

Thanks for the tips and keep on keeping on guys.

Now to open the base... gulp..

Edit.. undoing 10 screws, peeling away part of the rubber anti-slip thingy's to release the bottom from the top, undo the screw with washer, leave the wire ontop instead of under it...
think i was done in 10 mins. just tested it, the jitter is COMPLETELY gone.
Very big thanks for the linky's!

Regards,

Frank

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Frank,

The second link I posted has photos of the fix and it is very straight forward. You should not have any trouble if you take your time. One last thought you should try your hand at creating your own profiles using the FS Force profile manager. I have custom profiles that cover all the aircraft that I fly. The default profiles are often too heavy for the 940 in my opinion..

Vince

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

While we are on the subject of immersion using sound and force feedback has anyone introduced sound vibrations into their seat/chair? I have a car seat (Nissan Maxima) that I use for my flight simulation. The seat is bolted to a base constructed with 4x8 inch wooden rails with a steel bracket in the center. There are two adjustable steel platforms that are attached to the seat base. The platform on the left is for the throttle and a second platform for the joystick is between my legs. A “joystick “ not mounted between your legs is a contradiction in terms, no offense to the F16/Airbus drivers. The stick and the throttle are bolted to the platforms effectively making one unit. I have wedged my sub-woofer under the chair so it is making contact with the seat base. When flying subtle vibrations can be felt in the stick, throttle and the seat of your pants. You can adjust the effect by adjusting the sub woofer volume. I got the idea from the “Buttkicker Sonic shaker” which is kind of expensive. This cost nothing and works great. If you have the room I recommend scrounging up an old car seat, as it is infinitely more comfortable than all the other seats I have tried.

UrrBurr
Airman Basic

Post by UrrBurr »

dvm wrote:Scott,

Don't give up on your G940 until you try FS Force software. There is a demo available. It is worth a look I believe.

http://www.fs-force.com/

Vince

Thankyou very much for the tip !
Now I can feel the P40 nose tipping over when toebraking =)

I'd love to try a true Accu-FEEL force feedback system.

mos2net
Senior Airman

Post by mos2net »

Hi! :wink:
Not about "G940", but the, THRUSTMASTER HOTAS COUGAR, sorry .....

Is any-(body) of you, knowing what exactly "force" the joystick. :?:

I was wondering, if its was possible, to add some kind of Force feedback -motor, to my lovely, indispensable, THRUSTMASTER HOTAS COUGAR, and maybe pedals. :idea:

https://www.google.dk/search?q=thrustma ... 86&bih=908

mos :wink:

new reply

Return to “Accu-Feel General Discussion”