Accu-Feel and the Dodo 206

Add a touch of Accu-Sim to your simulation
colibrisim
Airman Basic

Re: Accu-Feel and the Dodo 206

Post by colibrisim »

As far as I know, the Dodo is known as the best helo flight model in simulation (it seems there is a good one for X-Plane also, but I don't know it). But this is true only with all settings correctly set, of course, in FSX and in the specific Dodo settings (you should have a specific fsx.cfg , to get those settings easily back when flying the Dodo).
You really have to read and apply the manual to fully take advantage of it.
Vincent

Wildbird
Airman Basic

Post by Wildbird »

MTFDarkEagle wrote:
Wildbird wrote:Uh, there's always a delay between control input and actual movement in helicopters. That's why you always have to be ahead of the heli, not just reacting to it. The Dodo was specifically programmed to simulate that control delay.
I'm not talking about actual movement. I'm talking about the aircraft movement (i.e. not speed or anything).

Consider this: get in the air in a somewhat stable hover. Push the cyclic fully forward in a very quick motion. The 206 very slowly banks forward. If that is accurate, please correct me, but I seriously doubt it.
That was what I was talking about, there is a delay between moving the stick before things start to happen and it's supposed to be there. Things just don't happen fast in a 206. Relative to the KA-50 the 206 won't feel very responsive, maybe with a full combat load it'll be similar but you're still comparing a 172 to a P-51. ;) Other common real life helicopters like the R22 and B350 will also be more responsive and direct.

Wiqvist
Senior Airman

Post by Wiqvist »

Thank you for answering me about what Dodosim is, I am not flying helicopters that much so I will buy this one, defenetly a too high price for me, but it may worth it if you like helicopter simulation. I use them sometimes, mostly when I have bought a new scenery, to fly around and inspect it.

I hope accufeel one day will work with helicopters also, but it is not the most important development in my opinion.

MTFDarkEagle
Technical Sergeant

Post by MTFDarkEagle »

Jigsaw wrote:
MTFDarkEagle wrote:Realism: are you kidding me? :shock:
No, I'm not. There is a knob on the overhead panel ranging from 1 to 5.

1 = default FSX flight model.
5 = all the flight model features of the product enabled.

MTFDarkEagle wrote:Well, I have around 3500 hours on the Ka-50 and several flights in several helo's around my area (and flying it, with pilot sitting next to me, giving controls to me occasionally), so that's gotta say something.
Was one of them a 206 Jet Ranger? You can't expect a Jet Ranger to behave like a Ka-50 in the real world either. I've talked to an actual Jet Ranger pilot who also has the Dodosim 206 and he attested that the flight behavior is spot on.
Well, if this is the case I stand corrected but I cannot imagine the helo behaving like this (and yes I had the overhead knob on 5).
Lukas
ImageImage

colibrisim
Airman Basic

Post by colibrisim »

MTFDarkEagle wrote: Well, if this is the case I stand corrected but I cannot imagine the helo behaving like this (and yes I had the overhead knob on 5).
... and sensitivities on maximum, with null zone on minimum ?
Vincent

MTFDarkEagle
Technical Sergeant

Post by MTFDarkEagle »

colibrisim wrote:... and sensitivities on maximum, with null zone on minimum ?
Off course.
Lukas
ImageImage

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

MTFDarkEagle wrote:Well, if this is the case I stand corrected but I cannot imagine the helo behaving like this (and yes I had the overhead knob on 5).
See, this is the problem man. Too often you assume just because you don't think it should be that way that it can't be and thus whatever it is is crap. Real aircraft aren't all P-51's. The 206 responds like it does for a reason, both in the real world and with the Dodosim 206 in FSX. Helicopters are NOT easy aircraft to fly. If you're not constantly jostling the controls you either have auto stabilization, have the autopilot on, or you're on the ground. When someone tells you that a helicopter is defying aerodynamics and physics to fly, they're not kidding. The whole issue of asymmetric blade lift should make the aircraft theoretically uncontrollable, yet they aren't. They're unique beasts, and nearly impossible to actually replicate in any simulator, including DCS: Black Shark because of this. Dodosim comes very close according to the helicopter pilots I've seen post in non-FS forums about it. But as with anything, how realistic it is really depends more on the equipment you have to fly with than the sim. The sim can be perfect, but because 99% of simmers don't have a floor-mounted cyclic and collective, you can't fly the helos like the real thing and thus adjustments have to be made from the get-go that make it not "feel" right no matter what you do because your control inputs are so much different than how they'd be if you were really flying the helo or were flying it with proper controls.

NdR
Airman

Post by NdR »

How one can compare Ka50 to traditional heli? It is comparing apples to oranges. The BlackShark frame, motor and dynamics were created to provide a stable war platform, Bell 206 is an air taxi with all rotorcraft drawbacks. It is like comparing J3 Cub to Turbine Duke.

One thing is not OK in Dodosim 206 - VC. It looks quite out of date but this is the only rotorhead worth spending few bucks.
Take a JetRanger one more trip, but do not forget to turn the heater to max (5), transition from hover to forward flight and land it. After few minutes switch to default 206 and feel the difference.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

NdR wrote:It is like comparing J3 Cub to Turbine Duke.
Interesting comparison. A nice, docile airplane versus a handful that will bite you every chance you get. Which is supposed to be which? Seems like the Duke could describe both the Ka-50 or B-206 depending on what day of the week it is. ;)

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

The Ka-50 is probably more like an F-22, because it also requires a lot of computerized assistance to remain stable. When you switch the assistance computers off it becomes a crazy lumbering beast.
Happy Landings
- Patrick

new reply

Return to “Accu-Feel General Discussion”