Lean Engine sound effect

Discussions about current features in development
new reply
dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Lean Engine sound effect

Post by dvm »

I was watching a movie last night (Always) and a A26 was on final with the engines leaned on the ragged edge and the 2800s were making a great popping sound. I have heard this before but I can't recall this effect in any of my simulation aircraft. Can anyone recall this effect. It would be a great addition. I wonder if it could be added to Accu-Feel. If I need a fix I can always make my carbureted Harley make the popping sound. LOL

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Re: Lean Engine sound effect

Post by CAPFlyer »

The Accu-Sim P-51 does this when proper to do so. The effect I believe is also present on the Spitfire and P-40 in a more muted way as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

Actually this is afterfire. Raw fuel igniting in the exhaust pipes from a rich mixture and closing the throttle. I do not recall a addon effect for this, but some of the Accusim aircraft hava this effect.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

An interesting idea. Cap, you may have been mistaken bud. He's talking about Accu-Feel rather than Accu-Sim, of which you are correct in what you say mate. :)
ImageImage
ImageImage

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

No, he said he didn't have it on any of his sim aircraft, I responded that it's present on the Accusim aircraft (i.e. a hint that he might consider buying one or more). :)

As for adding it to AccuFeel, that'd be cool, but I wonder if the variables that lead to after combustion can be read from non-Accusim aircraft well enough for it to be done with any level of reliability/realism?

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

I think I have all of the Accu-sim aircraft. I have never heard the popping. I want to thank you all for the info. Didn't know afterfire had a name. I just jumped all over lean because he was supposed coming in low on fuel in the movie. Simple minds are easily persuaded. When my M/C pops it is when the throttle is closed and I am using the engine as a brake, so you are right, that is afterfire. If I advance the throttle too quickly at very low revs I occasionally get a pop back through the carburetor which is a lean condition. I have weakness for the sight, sound and smell of air cooled engines no matter what they are installed in. Luckily I do like woman, food and booze a little better.
Vince

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Pull back the throttle on the P-51 coming ove the threshold abruptly and you'll hear it for certain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

roger-wilco-66
Airman Basic

Post by roger-wilco-66 »

Nice idea, I hope it can be done. I love feedback like that.

My Suzuki motorcycle (650cc singly cylinder "thumper") does that too when closing the throttle, sometimes very spectacular with a bang and a flame shooting out the exhaust pipe, and here it is definitely linked to a lean mixture. When the choke is pulled (rich mixture) this does not happen.

Cheers,
Mark
Mark Schimmer / historical sceneries for FSX / P3D

My scenery development galleries:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

goughie
Airman First Class

Lean Engine sound effect

Post by goughie »

Slightly off topic but I get a great popping on the overrun with my 660cc Yamaha Tenere.
I get engine crackle on all the Merlin powered A2A a/c.
Also on the WarbirdSim P 51. A fine aeroplane,
Pity I can't merge the A2A with the WarbirdSim!

goughie
Airman First Class

Lean Engine sound effect

Post by goughie »

I see I've been censored!
Spam refers to ' The Other P51d '!!

new reply

Return to “Accu-Feel Development & Feedback”