Joshua's Repaints

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
danb12
Staff Sergeant

Re: Joshua's Repaints

Post by danb12 »

Hi Joshua,

Loving the repaints... would you be interested in doing a paint of Etta Jeanne that was unveiled as a static display at Duxford a while back?

If you were tempted I would be very grateful, if not no worries :-)

Thanks
Dan

rpembert
Airman First Class

Post by rpembert »

I'll get on it!

Joshua

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

Just in-case you need any photos, here are some I saved in-case I ever got around to working on it. Note that they had some really great photos to use to recreate the paint work on the restoration, from both sides, and matched, perfectly, all of the imperfections and inconsistencies of the original checkerboard artwork - note how different it is from side to side and the varying sizes of the checkers, all just as it originally looked. The checkerboard nose, nose cone, and all squadron and personal markings were also painted using a brush, as per original.

(Note that the markings are that of a P-51K, but the airframe itself is a P-51D built too late to see action during WWII and used by the RCAF. It is fitted with late '45 square-tip/paddle Hamilton Standard prop blades, and the original would have had Aeroproducts prop blades (and thus a different nose cone as well). It's also only a static restoration, and it has brackets bolted to the fuselage so that it can be suspended.)

John Terrell

danb12
Staff Sergeant

Post by danb12 »

Thanks a lot! I am at Duxford a lot - love 20mins away and volunteer for a company there.

The guys/girls that repainted her did a fantastic job!

Thanks again,

Dan

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

And by the way, that is an olive drab glare shield (the only way they ever came from the factory), but the shade of OD is rather dark.
John Terrell

rpembert
Airman First Class

Post by rpembert »

OK here we go. I know that it is not the right checkering on the nose. I know this. I will be fixing this but it is no easy task. This will be a work in progress but wanted to get it to you guys so at least you have something. Looks good. I like the way it turned out so far so let me know what you guys think.

By the way, I did see a photo on the web where there IS A RED STRIPE ALL THE WAY AROUND THE CHECKER! I will leave this in one version and change it to the other as I progress on it.

Thanks,
Joshua

Download Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0lYqB ... sp=sharing

danb12
Staff Sergeant

Post by danb12 »

I love it... thanks ever so much! Very quickly painted too!

Thanks
Dan

NL451MG
Senior Airman

Post by NL451MG »

Have you considered doing a repaint of "Bald Eagle"? I recently saw it here at CMH (along with Andrew McKenna's P-51) and can't find any repaints of it anywhere.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/North-Am ... f51096b821

Whiz Wheel
Airman

Post by Whiz Wheel »

Hey Joshua,

Great stuff your putting out. I would like to second NL451MG's request for "Bald Eagle" currently owned and operated by Jim Beasley Jr., here in Pennsylvania. The only other repaint I have seen is by Bomber_12th over at sim-outhouse.com, but it's for the Warbirdsim P-51.

Cheers,

Jerry

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”