P-51D cockpit build

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Re: P-51D cockpit build

Post by Raceguy »

Thanks Gary.

I actually copied your idea for making the trim wheels. I had no idea how to make the wheels until I saw your elevator wheel being made so you get credit! One thing about working with wood is if you mess it up enough it makes good kindling for the fireplace.

Going to an actual '51 base to see your pit would be a treat. Thanks again for the inspiration to build mine.

Take care
Ed

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Brilliant progress and if you dont paint yourself too you have just not done a proper job hehe :lol: Though top marks for such a clean desk, and still white after painting :mrgreen:

Gary have fun at Leiston this year, Ill be over Cambridge this year so wont be able to come over to see the pit again. I'm taking Harrison now 2 and a half to his first airshow at Duxford.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hi Lewis

The desk area is in my workshop and I try to keep it clean. This is where I do my planning and in the future will build models. (If I ever finish THIS project!!!!) We have a 3 car garage so I claimed the single car section and walled off a 10X12 foot area from the 2 cars. I was told saw dust on or in my wife's car would not be in my best interest! The rest of the shop does get dusty. The shop vac gets a LOT of use.

I thought I would post pics of the progression for the landing gear handle so you can see what I am trying to do.

Take care everyone.
Ed

Here you can see I added more material for the round knob.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

A true craftsman, thanks for the update again. And I laughed out loud about the wifes car comment lol.

Fascinating seeing these little levers come out of the wood. What software are you using for the drawings?

thanks,
Lewis

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Thanks Lewis

She was NOT laughing when she told me to keep the dust in my area. :shock:

I purchased DVD's of the original prints. I copy the needed info into MS Publisher where I adjust it to actual size then print them. I do have an old version of Photoshop but rarely use it. Nothing fancy with software going on here.

For tools, nothing fancy there either, no room for them. I have a bench top drill press, band saw and sander. I rough cut this part out of the block then used a hand rasp to get closer to the final shape. For the elevator wheel I did use my Dremel in a stand and I made a sliding press to move the work from side to side to cut the inner depression.

Thanks
Ed

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

I've been working on the bomb salvo and carb air controls.

Here is what I have so far.

Thanks
Ed

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Just got an email letting me know that my MIP is finished and is shipping today! I don't have carrier information yet but it is coming from New Zealand so it will be a while. The makers site is http://www.ruscool.co.nz/index.html.

Pics of the completed panel are below. They really paid attention to the details I sent them and have met or exceeded my expectations. When it arrives I can start the build for the front of the pit where it will be mounted.

Last Friday I ordered several USB boards and a small selection of rotary, toggle and slider switches from Desktopaviator.com. I want to get familiar with how they work and determine what and how many I need. There are 105+ active switches for the Mustang in FSX using the A2A model!!!

Here are the pics.
Take care
Ed

spork
Staff Sergeant

Post by spork »

Very cool. I can't wait to see the finished result!
ImageImage
ImageImage

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Wow that looks really great!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

WOW that panel looks great! :shock:

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Thanks guys. Tracking shows it should arrive in 5-10 days. I can't wait to finally see the finished product!

Well, back to the shop to work on the rest of the pit.
Ed

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

My MIP just arrived!!

Here you can see it on the 27" screen I purchased specifically to display the Mustang gauges. The quality and details are perfect!

I can't say enough about the effort the team at http://www.ruscool.co.nz/index.html put into my MIP. They asked questions, made suggestions and took their time to turn out something that I will be happy with for years!

Now I have to get back to the shop and ramp up the speed on my build.

Take care
Ed

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Raceguy wrote:Thanks guys. Tracking shows it should arrive in 5-10 days. I can't wait to finally see the finished product!

Well, back to the shop to work on the rest of the pit.
Ed
Just thought I'd check in and say your work is unbelievably good. I have no doubt at all that when this pit is finished it will serve you great entertainment for years to come.
Glad to have you in our community.
Dudley Henriques

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Dudley, thank you for the kind comments. I have been fascinated with flight, specifically the Mustang, all of my life.

When we lived in Ohio I was scheduled to fly in the back seat of a dual control Mustang. They lost part of the rear canopy (P-51C) on the flight right before mine so my flight was cancelled. I told them I would pull the helmet and harness straps REAL tight and I was good to go but that did not meet their requirements! :shock:

Now that we have retired and moved to Florida we are 2 hours away from Stallion 51. While on vacation a few years ago we stopped in there and they let me climb on the wing and drool in the cockpit. I hope to get back over there someday and get my Mustang flight. For now, the simpit will have to be my goal.

Take care
Ed

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Raceguy wrote:Dudley, thank you for the kind comments. I have been fascinated with flight, specifically the Mustang, all of my life.

When we lived in Ohio I was scheduled to fly in the back seat of a dual control Mustang. They lost part of the rear canopy (P-51C) on the flight right before mine so my flight was cancelled. I told them I would pull the helmet and harness straps REAL tight and I was good to go but that did not meet their requirements! :shock:

Now that we have retired and moved to Florida we are 2 hours away from Stallion 51. While on vacation a few years ago we stopped in there and they let me climb on the wing and drool in the cockpit. I hope to get back over there someday and get my Mustang flight. For now, the simpit will have to be my goal.

Take care
Ed
Lee and the guys run one of the finest if not THE finest Mustang operations on the planet. If a Mustang experience is your goal you couldn't be located in a better place than close to the Stallion operation.
When you're ready, stop in or call Angela and schedule a flight.
DH

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”