Accu-Sim P-51 Mustang Familiarization Video

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
Ishigami
Airman First Class

Re: Accu-Sim P-51 Mustang Familiarization Video

Post by Ishigami »

Very nice.
When can I throw my money at you?

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant
Location: EX- Christchurch now called "Wobblyville" New Zealand

Post by Ian Warren »

Perfecto :shock: , this is going to be a lotta fun ...who needs the manual after that in-depth video :D

budmorgan
Staff Sergeant

Post by budmorgan »

Instead of "RTM"... it'll be "WTV" (watch the video!)

Cheers!

Bud
Buddy Morgan

ImageImageImage

i5 2500k - Asus P8P67 Pro - G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB - EVGA GTX 570 Fermi

A-26Invader
Staff Sergeant

Post by A-26Invader »

Sounds almost exactly like the Accu-sim P-40 when in flight..........
ImageImageImage

OleBoy
Airman

Post by OleBoy »

Scott, you and your team look to have put together one hell of a model. Very impressive.
And the LOD you've incorporated in, makes it very appealing.

It's a beautiful model! Fantastic job everyone!!
Your efforts are definitely on my wish list.

jime
Airman Basic

Post by jime »

wallydog wrote:Drool... I really enjoy these videos and love the way each one of these goes deep into the guts of the plane and accusim. A lot of care goes into making these for the community and customers and it shows. Can't wait for the release. That flyby with that distinct whistle put a huge grin on my face.
I also smiled when I heard that. A definte buy.

jime

636Castle
Senior Airman

Post by 636Castle »

Speaking of the whistle, check out how loud it is in this clip. :shock:

http://youtu.be/Ys7QqNTASWk

MTFDarkEagle
Technical Sergeant

Post by MTFDarkEagle »

636Castle wrote:Speaking of the whistle, check out how loud it is in this clip. :shock:

http://youtu.be/Ys7QqNTASWk
;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X-kgOn5G6Q
Lukas
ImageImage

whiic
Staff Sergeant

Post by whiic »

Nice new features... the electric gauges that actually need voltage to operate (even if they weren't used to measure voltage itself). Should the fuel gauges work that way too? I saw two of them on the floor that had a fuel readout prior to turning on battery. If they should be electric gauges, better fix them prior to release.

___

How about the oil pressures? They rise slowly and rise quite high, to around 120 psi, (even at 20 deg C). With P-40 ...just around 40 psi (at a lower 15 deg C oil temperature). At with Spitfire, I only get high idle pressure at sub zero. -10 deg C and I get around 120 psi at very low idle and it drops to near normal oil pressure by the time oil warms to 0 deg C. Thus if I start it at 0 deg C ambient, it's about as if I had started it warm (aside from requiring more priming).

So... it's got to do about oil viscosity in function of oil temperature (and of course type of oil, oil pump, dilution with avgas, etc.). Does Packard Merlin have same type of oil pump as Rolls-Royce Merlin? Does it possibly use the same module in Accusim (thus automatically update the core of Spitfire)? And should we expect higher cold oil pressures to be updated for Allison engine as well in some future core update? I sure hope the oil pressure modeling would affect previous craft as well because the way it's in them is almost "on/off" type, i.e cold or warm, and the transition between them very brief.

Also the difference between winter, normal, and summer oils is just a couple of psi (literally) in a scale of 150 psi on Spitfire. Seriously? What's the point in having three oil grades if they're practically all the same? It's not just Spitfire: I start P-40 at 15 deg C and get 40 psi. I idle it with 70 deg C hot oils and still get 37 psi. (I want these super-hyper-multi-grade oils in my car! Even 5W50 fully-synthetic oils are not that unaffected by temperature.)

Anyway, I hope Mustang has the temperature-viscosity relation reworked, instead of just raising the temperature where oil becomes considered as "warm enough", so that transition would be smoother, and oil pressure drop could actually be seen throughout all the usable oil temperature range, instead of a narrow temperature region.

___

Sorry about the bashing of old products. I bash because I care. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care enough to ...care. And these are the best there is, even if they still have slight room to be perfected. Well, I dunno about Mustang... it seems to have fixed some minor issues from the products. (The only bigger issue unsolved is the pneumatic bug on Spitfire that still hasn't been solved: the pneumatic pump gets turned on start-up but doesn't turn off on shutdown, making Spitfire's pneumatic system into a perpetual motion machine that draws energy out of nowhere.)on/off

EDIT: Oh yeah, Accusim Core Update 1.31!
v.1.3 Accu-Sim Core Update Changes
- New oil system modeling. Based on A2A independent tests on live Merlin and Allison engines. Oil pressure is slower to rise, and pressures can be extremely high with cold oil. It is very important you observe oil temperature minimum temperatures before applying full power.
- Re-coded the magneto behavior on engine power
- Accu-Sim engine performance and drag envelopes better synched with FSX flight modeling
- Mach drag removed from FSX and fully controlled via Accu-Sim core
- Adjusted fuel starvation with clogged fuel filters
- Increased Co2 power for Spitfire emergency gear
- Wear power scalar to improve control over engine life for different engine types
- Some fuel system delivery tweaks, increased fuel pump output to avoid some pre-mature fuel starvation with very high power

FIXES:
- Sometimes moving to a new airfield from being in the air would result in the gear not being lowered.
- Reduced moisture put into the air by breathing
Can't wait to test those improvements. I wonder if the re-coded magneto behavior solves the difference of power output between fuel out and magnetos off. Because in Core 1.2, if you cut the magnetos after your engine died of fuel run-out, you lost additional power you didn't even know you had.

Also, I wonder if they actually touched the pneumatic system. It's not listed on fixes list... even though it should be a quick fix since all that needs to be done is to set a trigger to shut down the air pump when prop is not spinning.

...Actually, I upgraded and testing as I type. +5 oil temperature and it's still 120 psi on the Spit instead of dropping to regular. Good. No longer a dual state "cold"/"warm" oil viscosity. The modeling actually reminds you that the oils are still barely lukewarm. Hmm... viscosity reduces even within recommended operating oil temperature region (40-80 deg C). With this oil modeling, it'd be sheer horror to take of with absolute minimum oil temperature of +15 deg C (not that I ever do it with oils cooler than +30 - the oil pressures are still quite maxed out at +40). Anyway: AWESOME. Gives some extra motivation to start up, warm, stop and restart to give oils twice the time to warm up before taking of on sub-zero temperatures.
Last edited by whiic on 28 May 2012, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

jime
Airman Basic

Post by jime »

It has a jet-like sound to it. A classic, that's for sure.

jime

CHBTheDoctor
Airman

Having all of the ACCUSIM fleet...

Post by CHBTheDoctor »

...the only reason that waiting for the P-51 feels easy for me is...
...I'm flying the DCS Beta in the waiting time :mrgreen:

I will LOVE to fly the P-51 in ACCUSIM FSX as well...

...and I'm pretty shure, without my previous training in DCS the A2A will kill me in the first ten tries to get the beast airborne (as it did in DCS :oops: )

It will be fun to program the Warthog Hotas EXACTLY like in DCS...

In FSX I can fly to every airport on earth with the P-51 and in DCS I can blow..., eeeh.., currently not blow stuff up, but get blown to pieces :cry:

My to most favorite SIM airplane companies build the same airplane, although FSX and DCS are incomparable by definition, comparing them alone will be FUN.

whiic
Staff Sergeant

Post by whiic »

On a second thought, the fuel gauges are probably mechanical and thus should have a reading (like they have). If they weren't mechanically linked to the floats in the fuel tanks, they wouldn't be positioned on the floor. (And the fuselage gauge being awkwardly positioned behind the pilot's seat...)

MTFDarkEagle
Technical Sergeant

Post by MTFDarkEagle »

IT"S OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lukas
ImageImage

Ishigami
Airman First Class

Post by Ishigami »

Enjoy my 50$!
So now I'm an official A2A costumer as well...

Sundowner
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Sundowner »

whiic wrote:On a second thought, the fuel gauges are probably mechanical and thus should have a reading (like they have). If they weren't mechanically linked to the floats in the fuel tanks, they wouldn't be positioned on the floor. (And the fuselage gauge being awkwardly positioned behind the pilot's seat...)

;)
Chris Oleksy
"I give that landing a 7 on the Richter scale."

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”