Warbird: Cripes A'Mighty 3rd

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Warbird: Cripes A'Mighty 3rd [WIP]

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Loving where this is going Ishigami. Its great to see the repaint develop and progress
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Ishigami
Airman First Class

Post by Ishigami »

Okay I'm doing something wrong again... :?

I was a little frustrated that the spec map is half the size of the diffuse map because resizing the transferred layers led to misalignment of some pixels depending on how photoshop scaled it.
So I made full size spec map templates from the supplied diffuse map templates.
Which at first led me probably hit some kind of texture size limit since FSX crashed when I tried to load a set of uncompressed textures (spec, diffuse and bump = ~270MB).
But that was sorted out by using DXT5 on the spec map.

Anyway it gets strange when It comes to the landing gear.
This is how it should look like:

and this is how mine looks atm:

Hu?

I've been comparing textures forever and can't figure out where I'm going wrong...
I guess it must be the spec map since that the one where I deviate from supplied templates but...

The 4k spec map made from the diffuse map:

The 4k spec alpha made from the alpha of the diffuse map:

Someone seeing any error that could lead to shown result :?:

Other than that I fixed my balkan crosses as good as I can. It's not perfect but it takes a better painter than me to compensate the geometry on a texture level.
I'm also still not happy with my blue nose.
It looks more like the mustang in front of the mustang when light hits it:

I'm also not sure on the shade of blue. The light is deceiving. In some shots its more like some sort of "baby blue" and in another more in the line of the dark "navy blue"...
Arg...

Musicman
Senior Airman

Post by Musicman »

I would just use the blue that came with the templates.
For the gear problem i see nothing wrong with the spec and spec alpha. It might be in you main paint alpha. Make sure it's almost white for no shine.
As far as the spec, here's how mine looks for the Little One III I did. Note color for where the blue nose would be. Same as for the stars and bars blue.
Everyone has there own idea of how to do things. This is just one opinion.

Ishigami
Airman First Class

Re: Warbird: Cripes A'Mighty 3rd

Post by Ishigami »

I just can't figure it out. It is defiantly the spec map since I replaced it and then it was fine.
Anyway I copied the layers to the original spec map template and removed some small details that are pointless in 2k resolution (stencils). Reverted the nose back to the template colours from A2A and wrapped everything up.
Download link is now in the first post.
I probably could have had this result some days ago and might change some stuff later but I have a BMW Z4 GT3 to paint :oops: 8)

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

Fantastic job on this!!!

Just a thought on the problem you were having on the gear texture... In photoshop the baked shadows layer is set to "multiply" or "overlay" (I'm not on the correct computer so sorry to be vague) If you change the color of the layer in blending options, I believe that disables these effects back to "normal."

Just a guess, but maybe it helps you figure it out. Great work, again, and can't wait for your next one.
-mike

gpbarth
Airman First Class

Post by gpbarth »

Couldn't wait to put this new paint job in my livery, and immediately downloaded the files. The bird looks great, but I thought I might tell you that there were a few mistakes in the aircraft.cfg file. The "Crazy Horse 2" stuff was really of little consequence, but I missed the "texture=CrazyHorse2" line in my hurry to install it, and couldn't figure out why the new paint wasn't showing up in FSX.

Just letting you know. Love the Cripes A'Mighty Mustang, and it is now my prime A/C. Great job, Ishigami!
-= Gary =-
MSFS2020, DCS World, A2A Accu-Sim Military & Civilian P-51, Cessna 172, Comanche 250, Win 10 64-bit, I7-7700, ASUS GTX108Ti, 32Gb RAM, 2 2Tb drives.

Stuntie
Senior Airman

Post by Stuntie »

Wow she's beuatiful!

One of my favourite colour schemes for the pony as well.

Res Non Verba
Airman

Post by Res Non Verba »

looking forward for this iconic aircraft!

is getting beautiful!

Cheers
ImageImageImageImage

Ishigami
Airman First Class

Post by Ishigami »

gpbarth wrote:Couldn't wait to put this new paint job in my livery, and immediately downloaded the files. The bird looks great, but I thought I might tell you that there were a few mistakes in the aircraft.cfg file. The "Crazy Horse 2" stuff was really of little consequence, but I missed the "texture=CrazyHorse2" line in my hurry to install it, and couldn't figure out why the new paint wasn't showing up in FSX.

Just letting you know. Love the Cripes A'Mighty Mustang, and it is now my prime A/C. Great job, Ishigami!
*Argh* Happens if you are in a hurry. I will fix this right a way.

Edit: Ah I see what I did there. I copied my Carzy Horse 2 readme and just changed the stuff to Cripes A mighty 3rd but when I packed everything up I picked the Crazy Horse 2 readme instead. Okay that was silly. I deleted the current download, made the changes and am uploading the updated file. Download Link will be updated once its online.

gpbarth
Airman First Class

Post by gpbarth »

Ishigami wrote:
gpbarth wrote:Couldn't wait to put this new paint job in my livery, and immediately downloaded the files. The bird looks great, but I thought I might tell you that there were a few mistakes in the aircraft.cfg file. The "Crazy Horse 2" stuff was really of little consequence, but I missed the "texture=CrazyHorse2" line in my hurry to install it, and couldn't figure out why the new paint wasn't showing up in FSX.

*Argh* Happens if you are in a hurry. I will fix this right a way.

Edit: Ah I see what I did there. I copied my Carzy Horse 2 readme and just changed the stuff to Cripes A mighty 3rd but when I packed everything up I picked the Crazy Horse 2 readme instead. Okay that was silly. I deleted the current download, made the changes and am uploading the updated file. Download Link will be updated once its online.
No problem! I'm surprised that I actually knew how to fix it myself. Will be waiting for your new download link. Again, great job!
-= Gary =-
MSFS2020, DCS World, A2A Accu-Sim Military & Civilian P-51, Cessna 172, Comanche 250, Win 10 64-bit, I7-7700, ASUS GTX108Ti, 32Gb RAM, 2 2Tb drives.

stiffstarch
Airman

Post by stiffstarch »

Mr. Ishigami...is this beautiful repaint out yet?? Where can I download it from?? Beautiful job. Thanks

s
tiffstarch

Ishigami
Airman First Class

Post by Ishigami »

I updated the link in the first post.
Been there for some time now but here it is again: http://www.filefactory.com/file/5q9yxtr ... ghty3rd.7z

stiffstarch
Airman

Post by stiffstarch »

Mr. Ishigami....I installed the paint of crpes a mighty 3rd, but it seems to be kind of blurry?? Can you tell me what I am doing wrong. I have my resolution set at 1920x1020. I have windows 7 64 bit system

thanks for any help you can give.

stiffstarch

Ishigami
Airman First Class

Post by Ishigami »

The game's video resolution is not the same as the texture resolution. Probably some setting interferes with texture resolution.
Under the Graphics tab there is slider called “global texture resolution” is this set to maximum?
Maximum there means that FSX accepts 1024x1024 sized textures.
This repaint is done in 4096x4096 of course.
In order to enjoy in all its glory you need to set a custom texture resolution in the FSX.cfg.

The FSX.cfg is located at c:/Users/(User Name)/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX
The directory is hidden so make sure to check that windows displays hidden directories.
Config files may be edited with Editor.
Change the following line:

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

to

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096

save and exit.

Note that changing this setting will interfere with your performance depending on what texture addons you have installed.
Also this setting will revert back to 1024 whenever you enter one of the Settings tabs.

Another solution would be to delete any mip-map from the texture forcing FSX to use the 4096 sized tile.
This however is no regular fix since mip-mapping is a well tested and proven performance and quality increasing technique.
If you want to do that you will have to open the texture up in GIMP or PhotoShop using a dds plugin and re-save the textures checking that “create mip-maps” is deactivated.
I won't upload such a version because I think removing mip-maps is, quite frankly, rubbish.
Last edited by Ishigami on 15 Nov 2012, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

The fsx config change isnt needed with A2A aircraft, however the skins should not be saved with mipmaps to avoid blurries.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”