How I start a real Mustang

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

How I start a real Mustang

Post by DHenriques_ »

Hi everyone;

I've been reading some posting from some people who seem to be having some problems starting the Mustang.
I thought I'd offer a few pointers on this, as the procedure differs even in the various Dash 1's for the airplane written at various times during the period the Mustang was in use throughout the world.
During the years I operated this airplane I observed several different methods being used by various pilots flying the Mustang when starting the airplane. My preferred method follows. Keep in mind that our airplane was never operated in severe cold conditions. Also we didn't use an APU for starting.

Basically, I would follow the suggested checklist with the exception that where noted in some Dash 1's I withheld placing the Mag switch to BOTH before engaging the starter. I'd give it a few seconds prime (VERY sensitive electric primer in this airplane) then engage the starter. This allowed the starter to rotate the prop distributing oil on up through the engine from the lower case and into the oil holes. After around 6 blades passing TDC using the nose as my visual cue I would flip the Mags on over to BOTH. This completed the ignition sequence with the right amount of prime at the cylinders.
The engine started at that point. Throttle position is very important in the Mustang as it controls the spark advance. One inch was fine.
The actual start could be solid and smooth or a bit sporadic and uneven. This is a critical moment in the start. If the start was not smooth I'd give it a short shot of prime as I went into RUN with the mixture. It's right here you need to be very gentle with the throttle. You DON'T want the engine to start into an RPM more than around 1200. The absolute worst thing you can do to an aircraft engine of ANY kind is to allow a high RPM start. That races the engine before the oil has had the chance to do it's good work and can over time cause a shorter TBO. This can get REAL expensive with a Merlin !
Just go easy on the throttle and caress the power into a smooth idle letting the pressure come off the pin within 30 seconds (or shut down immediately if it doesn't)
Basically that's about it. It isn't rocket science for sure but starting the Merlin DOES require some degree of finesse and coordination to do it right.
A2A has the engine physics on the Merlin very finely tuned and things more or less have to be close to being right for you to get a good solid start on the Mustang. You need to be careful with the primer, and the throttle use.
Just take your time, get used to doing things right, and I think you'll be satisfied with your Mustang starts.
BTW, you'll notice that the oil pressure can be high after you start the Mustang. The oil is still a bit thick in there. This isn't a critical issue for the Merlin but I always liked to get that pressure down a bit before applying take off power.
It's perfectly ok to dilute the oil a bit using the oil dilution switch while taxiing out to take off to lower that oil pressure, but don't forget to turn it off during your pre-takeoff runup.
Hope this helps getting everybody "started" :-)
Dudley Henriques

CharlieP51
Staff Sergeant

Re: How I start a real Mustang

Post by CharlieP51 »

TY Mr Dudley..who could kick on this from a real world P51 pilot..even though we are all flying a 'simulated' P51.

My POINT IS: Your advice is spot on from my own experiences starting the A2A P51..my favorite text from your post is -> "Caress the throttle" oh man is that right as rain. 1,700 hp demands some serious respect and 2A has modeled this bird so well..I mean if you don't follow correct procedures , like warm-up, AccuSim 'knows' and 'doesn't forget' this is not a toy plane in a kids game. The opposite..

I am glad you share in this forum. I have many payware FSX birds..all the AccuSim as well..but my favorite one every single day to fly is this AccuSim P51-D. I really love the realism. TY again Dudley...

Happy SKIES and A2A REALISM to ALL.
Intel Core i7 at 4.2 Ghz w/H2O-16G HyperX RAM-Crucial M4 128G SSD (x2) FSX-SSD & Win7-SSD -GTX 690 5G DDR5-LG 32" HDMI 1920x1080

ImageImage
Image Image

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

Thanks Dudley.
That is how I start the 51.
And no problems starting.

CharlieP51
Staff Sergeant

Post by CharlieP51 »

Sometimes I need to add a squirt or two of prime once the engine begins to catch...SO..to prevent having to deal with that extra step during the all important moments just after it does catch I prime --initially-- on a cold engine a full 10 seconds. This has worked a treat for me. I have been warned this 10 seconds prime risks 'wet plugs' and/or 'manifold fires' and other kinds of 'bad stuff'..still it fires and idles nicely around 1000 rpm at my preset throttle 'closed' position. The 4-6 seconds prime outlined in the manual also works for me..BUT not as reliably as a 10 seconds prime..which seems like a long time..these forums are a treasure trove of great FSX and A2A product info. The sharing in this community is wonderful. No kidding.

Happy SKIES to ALL
Intel Core i7 at 4.2 Ghz w/H2O-16G HyperX RAM-Crucial M4 128G SSD (x2) FSX-SSD & Win7-SSD -GTX 690 5G DDR5-LG 32" HDMI 1920x1080

ImageImage
Image Image

CharlieP51
Staff Sergeant

Post by CharlieP51 »

Requoting Dudley-- "BTW, you'll notice that the oil pressure can be high after you start the Mustang. The oil is still a bit thick in there. This isn't a critical issue for the Merlin but I always liked to get that pressure down a bit before applying take off power.
It's perfectly ok to dilute the oil a bit using the oil dilution switch while taxiing out to take off to lower that oil pressure, but don't forget to turn it off during your pre-takeoff runup." -- end of requote

Nice to see reference to oil dilute..I was amazed to learn from the manual the Mustang uses it's own fuel for the diluting agent..so interesting. I NEVER gave a care like I do now about such details with Carenado or any other lesser FSX aircraft. Primarily because so far those birds don't have the required realism so that these things like oil dilute even enter into the purchasers' experience.

Recently bought the Carenado B200 Beechcraft King Air..it's anice looking plane....even gorgeous. BUT compared to what I get from ALL my A2A AccuSim birds (I have them all) that brand new Beech is lacking in immersion and realism..takes more than tinted windows to 'immerse' me.

Frankly when I hand start my A2A AccuSim J3 CUB it makes me smile..so realistic...sometimes it makes me cuss..<-- like real world J3 pilots eh? What great FUN!

Happy SKIES to ALL. Even if you are in Chile.

ImageImage
Image Image

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

COLD STARTING TIP

I want to add a tip for cold weather starting

The effect of cold weather for primer in our Accu-Sim birds may be too high (not sure as there really isn't a lot of data / experience since we all heat our engines up these days in cold weather and pilot's manuals have conflicting information). There is some data showing it becoming almost ineffective at only moderately sub freezing conditions, yet other data is simply too vague so we may be on the money here, just not sure still. So we are still researching this.

Looking at the actual code using the primer, I'm showing on the current P-51:
- Over 50 deg F (hold primer for 2-4 sec)
- 30 - 50 deg (hold primer for 4-8 sec)
- under 30 deg (hold primer for 12 sec)

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

kiwikat
Senior Airman

Post by kiwikat »

Scott - A2A wrote:COLD STARTING TIP

I want to add a tip for cold weather starting

Looking at the actual code using the primer, I'm showing on the current P-51:
- Over 50 deg F (hold primer for 2-4 sec)
- 30 - 50 deg (hold primer for 4-8 sec)
- under 30 deg (hold primer for 12 sec)

Scott.
Learned this the hard way. Took me quite a few tries to get her started the other night. Temps were around freezing. Tried a bunch of different things until I left the primer on for about 8 seconds. Never a dull moment with accusim!

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

I might add to this.
I took the modern 51 up tonight in real weather. Here in Oshkosh, the temp is at 28F.
Made for an interesting time trying to start her without the gpu.
I put the thin oil in first. Prime about 10 seconds, crank 6 props, hit the mags, and nothing. Still cranking add more primer, batt getting weak, finally dies. Recharge the batt, dilute the oil, prime a little longer, crank/prime and nothing. Recharge again, restart FSX, this time I go about 15 seconds of prime, I get a sputter, then nothing, batt goes weak/dead again. Recharge again, restart the sim, this time I move the 51 into a nice warm hangar, starts right up.
Reminds me of some cars I use to own. Cold blooded.

CharlieP51
Staff Sergeant

Post by CharlieP51 »

robert41 wrote:I might add to this.
I took the modern 51 up tonight in real weather. Here in Oshkosh, the temp is at 28F.
Made for an interesting time trying to start her without the gpu.
I put the thin oil in first. Prime about 10 seconds, crank 6 props, hit the mags, and nothing. Still cranking add more primer, batt getting weak, finally dies. Recharge the batt, dilute the oil, prime a little longer, crank/prime and nothing. Recharge again, restart FSX, this time I go about 15 seconds of prime, I get a sputter, then nothing, batt goes weak/dead again. Recharge again, restart the sim, this time I move the 51 into a nice warm hangar, starts right up.
Reminds me of some cars I use to own. Cold blooded.
Interesting..I've wondered how the lack of a GPU in this latest Mustang would affect the users' experience. I have yet to run the battery down on the civilian bird during start-up..but I do feel vulnerable' to this possibility!!

Level WINGS fly BEST

ImageImage
Image Image

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

I tried another cold start again. This time without cranking the 6 props and with mags on. Prime 10 seconds, dilute 30 seconds, mags on, mixture off. Hit the starter, and she fired on 1 prop. It is 27F deg outside, not even cold yet. :mrgreen:

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”