Gear collapsed while taxiing!

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Gear collapsed while taxiing!

Post by EnDSchultz »

I'm really hesitant to post this as a bug report because it just kind of adds to the fun of Accusim, but here's my AAR.

I was coming into KINL after a 4 hour flight from California (I've been inspired to attempt a flight around the world). Nice, calm night with just a few knots of crosswind. Greased the landing, nice and soft. Taxied off the runway and went into the instant replay to review. Nice and soft. Went back to my aircraft, taxied a few feet, and the left gear collapsed from under me! "Left gear assembly is shot!; Both upper and lower locks are broken on your left gear". Miraculously the prop did not strike the ground (though visually it appears to, the sim did not recognize it as such), and I was able to shut down the engine with no problems.

There was no reported wear prior to the flight, except for some worn brakes on that side, I extended the gear well below the safe speed, and did not hear an unsafe gear alarm until the collapse occurred. Now, there was a small amount of side load during touchdown because of the crosswind and my sloppy correction due to a twist-stick rudder, but I've done a lot worse in the past with no problems and I'm not sure if Accusim accounts for that sort of thing anyway. So my only other hypothesis is that the transition from replay to real-time somehow registered as a hard landing, and the gear failed as a result...KINL does not appear to have any repair services, so I guess I'm going to have to call my mechanic from all the way back home to come rescue me! :P

Thoughts?

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Re: Gear collapsed while taxiing!

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Keep in mind that instant replay can sometimes cause issues with Accusim, primarily because Accu-Sim is unaware that you are replaying the event. As such, it continues to run as if you are indeed still flying it. I've seen this cause all sorts of anomalies while filming. I recommend turning damage off while replaying an Accu-Sim aircraft. I suspect that may have been the cause of the problem, somehow, but finding the actual issue would be hard to pinpoint.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

not long ago mine collapsed after a VATSIM flight to Edinburgh. I just vacated the runway and started a message on UNICOM. EGP.......when hell broke loose.....The chat window was open, but I didn't get active before starting my message. Note to self: make sure to don't use the "G" key unless the FSX window is inactive.
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

Yeah, I've had the same thing happen after a replay. I've also learned the hard way that if you load up at the wrong part of an airport and decide to "slew" to get where you want to be, if you exceed the gear speed, or "slew" over uneven terrain you can also damage the gear!

Joe
Joe

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

Yep, I have had some strange things happen when using the replay.
The P40 seems to replay ok, but not the 51. Sometimes it replays in a ball of fire. Restarting shows no damage done. I have had the Spit landing gear fail on replay also.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”