A few questions

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
s0cks
Airman Basic

A few questions

Post by s0cks »

Hi all,

Loving this plane since I purchases it a couple of weeks ago. Already got over 12hrs on it - have a radiator warning but so far my "She'll be right!" attitude has served me well ;) I just have a few questions:

1. Can sound be added to the electric primer?

2. Can I replace the beacon for something not so prominent. Looks like a disco! I'd prefer just a small red light that you hardly see in daylight.

3. When taxing the steering seems to be kind of floaty. I understand I need to pull back the stick to lock the steering but it doesn't seem to make much difference?

4. How do I reliably do loops? I managed a few time in the past but I more than often stall out. I watched a video of someone flying loops in a real P51D and he would get his speed up to 260kts, give it full power and pull back on the stick. Do I need war emergency power? I've tried pulling back more aggressively and more slowly but I just seem to stall before I'm inverted.

Thanks!

dacamp66
Senior Airman

Re: A few questions

Post by dacamp66 »

I can answer the steering issue; when you pull back on the stick, you only get 15 degrees of steering either side of fore and aft. for anything more than this, you push forward and use either
A. rudder and throttle (kick the rudder over and use the propwash of the accelerated engine to swing the tail over)
B. differential braking (brake only with the right OR left wheel).
or
C. a bit of both
careful with A. it's easy to over revv the engine and damage it.
Orville's law: when the altitude of the ground at your current location exceeds the altitude of your aircraft, you have most assuredly crashed.

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

Loops are fun in the P-51, but require a little skill... start a little faster- gently dive for 300kts. Don't pull back too hard at first, but keep increasing back pressure the slower you get. The KEY to looping the Mustang nicely is lots of rudder as you get slow and go over the top- you have very high power and very low airspeed, without heavy rudder you will likely stall or spin. I usually go over the top between 100-120kts. Once over the top you can gently release back pressure to regain airspeed and to make your loop "pretty" (ideally I aim to finish straight and level at the very same altitude I started the loop at). Don't forget to bring back the power a little bit as you begin to dive.

This is my routine, and it works for me perfectly each time. The same control of the rudder at low speed will help you with other fighter maneuvers as well.

Good luck.

Joe
Joe

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello s0cks,

Heres a good start for new Mustang Pilots;
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 93&t=32663

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

NAA551WB
Senior Airman

Post by NAA551WB »

For a loop I never start one under 250 knots and preferably around 280-300 knots. On the initial pull back I am aiming for a pull of 3-4 G. As you go around vertical you are going to want gently continue to pull back to keep the velocity going around and to tighten up the loop. You can do this because you are losing airspeed and by doing that you can pull a little more without inducing as much G. Over the top you can let up on the pull and float the top. I don't want it to float to much because this will pick up airspeed and possibly I will have to pull harder than 4G at the bottom of the loop. Going back into the pull I will pull a little harder than I did to start the loop, coming down the backside I will ease off the pull as the airspeed builds up. A fantastic Mustang performance is this one flown by Vlado Lenoch at Oshkosh when he owned Moonbeam Mcswine which currently resides in Europe since he sold it a year or so ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH73sNMnm0w

renaissanceman
Technical Sergeant

Post by renaissanceman »

Hi s0cks,

You didn't say which P-51 you are flying. Remember the Military version airspeed gauge is in MPH, the Civilian is in knots. 300 MPH/260 KPH indicated is probably the minimum speed to begin practicing loops. They can be done slower but it takes good technique. Here is a thread with some good advice:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 93&t=30531

Jim
i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz | ASUS Maximus VIII Formula | 32 GB DDR4 | EVGA GeForce GTX 980TI Classified |
Win 10 Pro 64 | FSX SE | Registered FSUIPC | All Accu-Sim Birds | Accu-Feel v2 | TrackIR5 | AS16 | PRO-ATC/X

s0cks
Airman Basic

Post by s0cks »

Civilian, so it is in knots. I'll try a little faster than 260kts any way.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”