Pre-flight 'package' for future core-update?

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Pre-flight 'package' for future core-update?

Post by pilottj »

Hey guys,
I know everyone is busy with the Cherokee support now, but how difficult would it be to add a 'prefilght package' to the Civil P-51? Could this be done with a future core update or would it involve too much work for an update? I figured since the next A2A high performance plane might be a while out still, a good interm project would be to give the Civil P-51 the preflight goodies of the Cherokee/172.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

dacamp66
Senior Airman

Re: Pre-flight 'package' for future core-update?

Post by dacamp66 »

Not sure, but I believe that the civvie '51 was created using a previous "generation" of code (administrators: please correct me if i am wrong here) so i think that adding a walkaround/preflight would entail very nearly a complete rebuild/rewrite of the code. similar things have been requested for other aircraft (case in point: full maintenance hangar for the B377) with similar results.
Remember, what you are seeing when you are flying an A2A product is the result of approximately 2-4 YEARS of work by a very small team (less that a dozen iirc). A2A has chosen (rightly imo) to concentrate on QUALITY instead of QUANTITY, unlike some other companies that crank out large numbers of lower quality "cookie cutter" aircraft.
OK, rant mode off, time for me to shaddup.
Orville's law: when the altitude of the ground at your current location exceeds the altitude of your aircraft, you have most assuredly crashed.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Around about correct dacamp66 :)

The warbirds have there buckets full so to speak

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

If there was a preflight routine, perhaps I would have noticed a problem with my right flap. As it was, it failed catastrophically while doing some high speed sea skimming, causing me to spiral rapidly, straight into the sea in seconds. I had no time to react. It makes me wonder how many times this has happened in real life. No doubt the impact would have been fatal and I would have just, "Disappeared"

dacamp66
Senior Airman

Post by dacamp66 »

chances are that you exceeded the design limitation speed of the flaps and ripped them off; you should only be using the flaps for LOW SPEEDS (landing/takeoff).
using the flaps at high speed is just begging the aircraft to kill you.
direct quote from p-51 accusim manual="Do not completely lower your flaps above 160mph IAS. Doing so can damage, jam, or possibly even break your flaps. Accu-Sim measures the forces on the flap based on the actual air pressure on the flap itself. As the flap moves to higher angles, the pressure (and drag) quickly builds up. If you were to, for example, jam your left flap down and then raise your flaps, you could be in a dangerous situation. If this happens, lower your flaps until they are equal and land at the nearest airfield. If you were to break a flap at high speeds when deployed, your aircraft could immediately go into an uncontrollable flying attitude. Watch your speeds and LISTEN to your aircraft."
NOTE: MPH, NOT KIAS!
wop3 p-51 manual recommends full retraction of flaps at 120 mph.
my (now deceased) uncle flew '51's in ww2, he told me that a p-51 is like a thoroughbred race horse, treat her with respect and she will do anything you ask her to; mistreat her, and she will kill you(usually without warning).
Orville's law: when the altitude of the ground at your current location exceeds the altitude of your aircraft, you have most assuredly crashed.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Yes, I agree. Leaving the flaps down at high speed is just asking for trouble. Thing is, they were fully retracted. I usually take a look outside to check things while flying. I Had been pulling a few loops previously, showing off I guess and was on my way home. At the top of my last loop, I rolled her around upright, dived down to sea level, pulled out and was heading for the coast for a few minuets when it all went haywire. I guess I overstressed it and paid the price. I did check beforehand in the hanger but the report said "In good shape" and did not show anything untoward. Perhaps I missed something.

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

Don't forget, the first notch of flaps can be used realistically at very high speeds. Check the numbers. That said, I won't use the last two flap positions unless my gear is down and I'm under 150kts for safety.

Joe
Joe

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”