P-51D cockpit build

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Re: P-51D cockpit build

Post by Raceguy »

Great Ken

Thanks for letting me know. If you have any questions just ask.

Take care
Ed

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!

flymustangs
Airman

Post by flymustangs »

I saw one of your posts where you mention there are 105 switches that can be controlled. Is there a list of those somewhere or did you just discover those using the sim? I don't have the A2A add-ons yet because I'm waiting for my simming PC to arrive.

I don't think I'll be using all of them nor will I build the sim pit to the detail of yours. I just don't think I have the patience or the skills necessary.

Thanks.
Ken

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

HI Ken

Setting up some of the switches and controls for the A2A planes requires the use of L:VAR's. For others I used a some of the base FSX commands as well as commands found in LINDA and SPAD.next.

The L:VAR's can be pulled from the sim using FSUIPC which saves them to a log file. I copied these into an Excel spreadsheet so I could determine what kind and how many controls I would need. There are 122 rows in the spreadsheet. :shock: Here is a quick shot of how the parts, including USB board selection and commands used was tracked.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Take care
Ed

flymustangs
Airman

Post by flymustangs »

Thanks. The rabbit hole just got a lot deeper!

Ken

flymustangs
Airman

Post by flymustangs »

Ed,

I have another question for you. On your throttle quadrant, your using linear pots for the throttle and prop, but a rotary switch for the mixture. I can't seem to find the reason for this. Is this something FSX/FSUIPC/LINDA is expecting or are you just doing something different here? Thanks.

Ken

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hi Ken

I selected those controls because the throttle and prop have a range of say 0-100 where the mixture has three positions, idle cutoff, run and rich.
Also on the throttle and prop I chose the slider because I thought it would be easier to setup, which for me it was, than a rotating potentiometer.
I didn't see an easy way to get rotating potentiometers on the shaft of the unit.

For the throttle and RPM I selected the FSX controls through FSUIPC and calibrated them in FSUIPC. The mixture is in a FSUIPC macro using L:MixtureRatioLever1Position=SET

Hopes this helps.
Ed

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hello everyone

Since my last build post I have been focused on home projects instead of my pit but it’s time to get back to the “never ending project”.

I have always had a wired headset for my pit and didn’t realize how much the wires got in my way until I got a PS4 and a wireless headset. Also, I have had TrackIR for many years and would be lost without this product so I thought about adding TIR to my PS4 wireless headset. When I checked I realized it would be difficult if not impossible to connect the PS4 wireless headset to my PC and even if I could make the connection the TIR still had wires.

The Crew Chief suggested I go get another wireless headset dedicated to my flight sim and as usual she had a great idea. After looking at quite a few wireless headsets I selected the Logitech G933. I did not want leather or vinyl pads and the G933 has a soft cloth like washable material very similar to my current wired and wireless (PS4) units and is very comfortable.

Looking on the Web I saw several TIR conversions to battery power and I thought, why not? Just to be clear this conversion is a version of what I saw online so I cannot take any credit. I saw several conversions that used Duracell rechargeable batteries. They had plenty of power and did not require circuit boards or resistors as other mods to the TIR would. So, here we go.

I purchased two Duracell rechargeable batteries with an on/off switch. I could not find these locally so I went to Amazon where I found them for about $8 each. These include a Universal Cable with USB & mini USB connections for recharging on your PC. I got 2 so I can hot swap them when they get low on power. I am really pleased with the amount of run time these batteries give when connected to the TIR as they last several sessions. When I shut down the system I check the TIR battery. If it’s still green I don’t replace it but if it’s yellow I do.

Without cutting the TIR wires, I tried several battery mounting positions and decided on the following method. Now it was time to cut the wires. The TIR only has 2 very small wires in the cable and I cut these about 1 ½ inch from the components. Leaving both USB connections attached on the power side I used a cable tie to keep the unused connection from dangling from the headset. This gives me the option to use a wired power source in the future. I was also concerned that later I may want/need to mount the battery in a different place so after I trimmed the insulation from each section I soldered a male/female connector in place. These will look familiar because I used a LOT of them for my switch connections. They are found in RC shops and online and are commonly used for connecting servos and batteries.

I placed Velcro on each battery and on the left ear cup plate. Then I mounted the TIR on the ear cup support just below the adjustable section of the head band. The TIR bracket was just large enough and is somewhat fragile so it is held in place with a cable tie. I have since secured the red connector.

The Crew Chief said using the quart paint can to display the headset was a good idea because it matches my head. Hmmm, gotta think about that comment……………….

Take care
Ed

PS Sorry about the HUGE pics! I forgot to edit them before uploading!

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I can't tell you how many times I've swiped my hand through the wires and sent the whole TIR assembly skittering across the floor. That is an awesome idea...and something I might actually he able to accomplish!

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Jacques, go for it! I have already seen benefits from removing the wires.

Take care
Ed

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

So the clip on your hat is normally wired? I also assumed the newer TrackIR clip was battery powered anyway :/

Cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hi Lewis

There are other "tracking lights" offered by other companies that are battery powered but TIR has never, to my knowledge, offered a battery powered solution.
With the great selection of wireless headsets available, attaching a battery to the TIR lights makes for a much more comfortable experience. I can't count how
many times I gotten up for a bathroom break and pulled the headset and TIR unit off my head. :oops:

The "Track Clip" is the device that attaches to a hat and reflects light that the camera can see to determine head movement. Using this
I had issues with lights or reflections behind me being seen by the camera. I think most that use this device have no lighting behind them or
at least cover it when flying.

The "Track Clip Pro" has 3 IR lights that are powered by a cable to a USB port. I have found the Track Clip Pro works a lot better (for me) than the reflectors.
You still have to be aware of some lighting or reflections but it does not seem to be as easily confused.

Take care
Ed

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Ahh right, I must be getting it confused with one of the competitors or third party providers then, I remember I think it was FreeHat or somewhat similar where at the FS Show at Cosford late last year.

cheers,
Lewis

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hello everyone

Not a lot going on recently regarding the simpit or flying due to taking advantage of the cooler temps here in Florida to get some house projects completed. As they say "Happy Crew Chief, Happy Life", or something like that. :D

Seeing another post about checklists reminded me that I have not posted my version. It is not complete as I keep tweaking the information but I am 97% there. When satisfied I will laminate the pages. There will be a sections for each of the A2A planes I own.

My pages are created in Excel and printed on 5.5" X 8.5" paper to fit a 3 ring binder that I store in the map pocket. In the first pic you can see I have a notepad in the front for, well, notes. Since there are many components to my simpit and I have missed activating some in the past, I'm old, I have added each to the simpit preflight page. Yes, an A/C controller as well as beverage and snacks can be found in some P-51's, especially mine.

To avoid running the whole house A/C when the hanger gets too warm I have a portable A/C unit that I place in the window and control with a remote.

The next pic shows the programs I need to run for my simpit and you can see an edit I have made. I have found that starting TrackIR before FSX and stopping TIR after closing FSX have eliminated TIR program hangups. Also starting Spad.next and LINDA after FSX and selecting the A2A plane minimizes the popups I get from those 2 programs.

And helpful data to keep the Mustang Crew Chief happy.

Take care
Ed

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

ohhh very nice checklists and binder you have. Lovely jubbly for trouble free (hopefully) running of the sim and aircraft :lol:

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Thanks Lewis!

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”