P-51D cockpit build

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Re: P-51D cockpit build

Post by Raceguy »

Vince, let me know when you are ready to work on the throttle.

Just a quick thought. It looks like you would have several options for the top. You could make the top in sections or one complete unit. This could be acrylic or thin wood bent to shape and painted or covered with .020 styrene for a smooth finish. I don't know where you live but I found 1/8 plywood at Hobby Lobby and Michael's. This could be bent with a little water and heat. Also Michael's had 1/32 inch plywood from Midwest Products, a company known for their model and R/C products. This is what I used on the upper sides of my pit under the canopy rail where I placed the "rivets". It is easy to work with.

Take care
Ed

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Ed,

Thanks for the info. Lots of options there. I would like the cover to be removable for possible repair. The plywood styrene option might work for me. I have a Hobby Town USA near by that will have the materials. I am an old RC modeler and have lots of materials and hardware in my material larder. :D

Vince

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hello everyone

Today I finished the pedals short of a few coats of paint. The pedal mounts are now secured to the original pedals with two screws in the front from underneath and a nut & bolt at the top. This gives a real secure feeling.

The new offset pedals caused a lean to the outside of the base because of “play” in the original pedals. I did not want to take the original pedals apart to try and tighten up the side to side lean so I went with “plan B”. I added a plate to the back of each new bracket and will secure my old 3 lb. dive weights as a counter balance. Not pretty but it will not be seen behind the center switch box.

One benefit I had not counted on was the added weight makes you feel like you are pressing against a “force”. Before I had my entire foot on the old pedals and didn't notice the light feeling in the pedals. With the new pedals my heels will be on the floor and I will have the ball of my foot on the pedals. Now I feel like I am pushing something with some weight.

The paint shop is next then the pedals will be complete.

Take care
Ed

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hello everyone

Well, today started just like most days, with a trip to my favorite aviation parts store, Lowe’s. I picked up some PVC pipe fittings to lengthen the joy stick shaft and here are the results.

Take care
Ed

I purchased the Saitek AV8R stick months ago because the grip is similar to the Mustang. It’s not the greatest stick and I don’t know how long it will last but I only paid $20 for it so we’ll see what happens.

This is the stick in its original condition.

I have unscrewed the grip and with 2 more screws out the wires are accessible.

Four screws out of the grip and 2 out of its base and its wires are now accessible.

Here are the pipe fittings I chose to make an adapter for the lower connection. In this pic you see a connector, pipe adapter and 1 inch pipe (shaft). The connector fit nicely over the threaded base connection but its original length interfered with the spring mechanism. I trimmed off ¾ inch and all is well.

With the adapter inserted into the connector I slipped the parts onto the base and drilled holes for bolts and nuts to hold the adapter to the base. These bolts went through the threads on the base. I then inserted the 1 inch pipe, checked the unit’s length in my pit and cut the shaft to length. I took everything apart, extended the wires from the base, through the new shaft to the grip and reconnected everything.

Here is the grip on the 1 inch pipe. The diameter was a nice fit but it could only be inserted 3/16 inch into the grip so I added bolts through the grip into the pipe.

Complete assembly

And in the pit.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

That's some considerable progress, I'd say. Very nice, Ed!

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Looking good! What date is the maiden flight scheduled for?
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Thanks guys

Piper, the maiden flight is scheduled for December, of 2015. I'm a little behind schedule! :shock:

Ed

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Raceguy wrote:Thanks guys

Piper, the maiden flight is scheduled for December, of 2015. I'm a little behind schedule! :shock:

Ed
Ed,

You could probably qualify for a job with Boeing. :D :D

Seriously tho coming along nicely.

Vince
Last edited by dvm on 15 Jun 2016, 07:41, edited 1 time in total.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Raceguy wrote:Thanks guys

Yeah don't worry. Delays in aviation projects are a feature not a bug! :wink: :lol: I hope you'll get to fly it soon though!

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Ed,
I looked thru most of your posts (quickly) so I may have missed the answer to my question. I saw that you are using the Saitek switch panel for some functions and have the joystick and pedals covered but are going to use another controller such as one of Bodner's for the rest ?

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hi Vince

I don't think I've mentioned the controller details before. I'm using boards from Desktopaviator for several reasons. One, they are about an hour from my home and shipping has been fast. Two, I have called or emailed them with questions and they were quick to respond, patient with my lack of knowledge regarding boards and offered great suggestions. Another reason, and I could be wrong (not the first time) it is my understanding that the Bodner boards require some programming where the DTA boards do not; they are plug and play.

I hope this helps.

Ed

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Sound like you have it covered. The Bodners boards are plug and play also. Not sure where this misinformation has come from as I have heard that before. You will have to assign functions to any controller. You certainly do not want a board that has dedicated assignments as this limits the functionality of the controller. I have posted the info on the Bodner boards on the forum. You do have a point as far as shipping from the UK which takes a week. Bodner support is great. I may have gone with the stuff from desktop aviator but I was not aware of it at the time. I do like my controller as it has 32 button / 16 rotary encoder inputs and 8 analog inputs combined in one board so that was perfect for me. Cost around $45. with shipping. I have 5 unused analog inputs on my controller (3 are being used for trims) so if and when I finish my throttle I have it covered.

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php ... cts_id=204

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Ed,

Just thinking about your pit and you may want to add a tactile device to your seat. I think it adds immensely to the immersion. The ButtKicker line is too expensive in my opinion. I have an alternative that is less than 100 bucks and works great. Let me know and I will turn you on to what to buy.

Vince

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Vince, I already have a Buttkicker, my wife! :twisted:

I have been thinking about the Buttkicker, not her, and would like to hear about your alternative. Please send the details.

Thanks
Ed

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

This shaker can handle 50 watts and is plenty for a car seat. http://www.parts-express.com/aurasound- ... mpaign=pla You will need a amp as well. This one or similar will work. https://www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-168HA-4 ... display-20.
I am using an amp from an old toy I bought on Ebay (Aura Interactor) and it is supposed to be 40 watts but I am a little skeptical but it has enough power for my needs. If you go with Bass Shaker AST-2B-4 and a fifty watt amp you will be at about $100.00. The Buttkicker is more powerful and more expensive. Take a look at the below site for a comparison. I have my Bass Shaker AST-2B-4 mounted on one of the seat supports. I also have my sub woofer under my seat for a little more kick. Let me know if you need any help.
http://www.bassshakers.com/faqs/aura-ba ... uttkicker/

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”