P-51D cockpit build

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: P-51D cockpit build

Post by Lewis - A2A »

nice update again, and another insight into the creativity and creative thinking going into the project, great job.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Thanks Lewis

Hi everyone

Today I tackled metal again. I had not done much with metal in the past but this project has challenged me to give it a try. At least today no band-aids were required! :lol:

Can someone please explain the function of this metal bracket? Are the notches locking positions for the canopy?

Take care
Ed

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!

r601020
Senior Airman

Post by r601020 »

Raceguy wrote: Can someone please explain the function of this metal bracket? Are the notches locking positions for the canopy?
To close bubble canopy:
Push in on axle of crank on right side of cockpit to engage clutch.
Disengage pin on crank handle from the holes on the face of the clutch housing by pulling crank knob inboard gently.
Turn crank counterclockwise, holding knob inboard to close canopy.
WARNING: If red indicators show through openings on each side of the forward end of the enclosure, the emergency release is unlocked and unsafe for flight.
-- 1944 Flight Manual

?
Richard

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Thanks Richard

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hello everyone

Not much time being spent in the shop while getting ready for the holidays but I did make some progress. I am hoping the weather will cooperate in the next week so I can get the first coat of paint on all of the components.

First here is a new build for the dash lights. I made the housing from PVC pipe fittings. I added plastic putty to the gap and sanded it to shape. I borrowed the arms from 2 clip on lights. (Don’t tell my wife!) There is a small candelabra light inside each housing and they will be controlled by dimmers on each side of the pit.

Dash lights

Here is the completed oxygen regulator. I just need to add the wiring to the rotary switches.

The following parts you have seen during the early stage of construction. Modern switches mount through one center hole instead of two mounting screws like in the 1940’s. I have added false screws where the original ones would have been placed. Now off to the paint shop!

Thanks for looking and have a Merry Christmas!
Ed

Cooling control panel

Electrical panel ready for fuses.

IFF panel

Engine panel

AN/APS panel

Center switch box

Even thought I won’t have a gunsight I just like the look of this gyro panel so it will be included.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Really nice work, Ed! I really look forward to your updates to the thread. I'm always amazed at how your vision of a part is, in turn, shaped by your crazy skills to create such high-fidelity reproductions. I genuinely enjoy watching this come together!

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I can only agree with Jacques. It's amazing how much work you put into this. I'm sure you're gonna have a blast once it's finally done. Thanks for the update and please keep them coming!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Yea! I agree also.
Your attention to detail and part construction is great. I love how this is developing and can't wait to see you run it for the first time. How fun!

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Thanks guys! :D

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Got a few more little items completed.

Parking brake handle. Still working out how I will make this function.

Rough cut

Ready for final sanding and paint

Fuel shut off lever

Added rotary switch to unit.

Lever mounted side view

Front view

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Love the updates as always, understand it'll stop over the christmas period. Have a great holidays and New year! Imagine what the project will transform into during 2016! 8)

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hello everyone

I hope you all had safe and happy holidays! I did get some time over the holidays in the shop so here is my update.

I had been putting off the throttle since I was not sure how to make the build and PC connections. I was going back and forth about connecting to a CH Throttle I have or using potentiometers and the pots won out.

Here are the pots for the throttle and RPM and a rotary switch for the mixture.

The next two pics are my attempt at bending 1/8 aluminum to make the shafts and the third is one of the lock levers.

I made spacers for the shafts and here you can see them being stacked. There is 1/8 inch spacer behind the throttle shaft then a 1/2 inch spacer to allow for the linkage going to the electronics then the RPM shaft. Then a 1/8 inch spacer, mixture shaft and another spacer. Both are notched for the bolts holding the wood lever on the mixture unit. The two round dots are 3/16 rods running between them. This keeps them all from moving at the same time. The last picture shows the internals complete.

For the throttle lock I used a black T-knob that was larger than what I saw in the information. So a little sawing and sanding made it work. For the prop and mixture lock I cut MDF into a round shape then tapered the back. When I first put it all together I realized the face plate would turn, and break, when I moved the levers. So I cut a hole in the face plate just slightly larger than the prop and mixture lock. This allowed the plate to float around the main shaft and be held in place at the top with two mounting screws. I still need to disassemble it again for painting and adding the linkage but here it is all together. Whew!!

Thanks for looking.
Ed

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Just looks absolutely amazing, Ed! Keep conjuring up magic...I'm definitely here for the duration! This is becoming my favorite thread.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Happy new year to you! Man that just gets more and more impressive with every progress step you share here with us (thank you for that!). I'm sure you're going to have tons of fun with this simpit!

Take care
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Wow. That is incredible. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”